Salsa's pretentious gameplay FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salsa's pretentious gameplay FAQ

So I'm reading these posts here, with people having problems with gameplay, that aren't a problem for me. Likewise, things that are a problem for me, probably aren't a problem for others. In an FAQ form, let's help each other out, like this.

I'm not a dev, and I'm not a tester; some of these answers have come from other people through posting. This is a thread to compile all possible problems and possible solutions so we can all be better and wiser gamers . Post if you have anything to add.

Q: I'm always running out of ammo, and these ammo packs aren't nearly enough for my (auto)guns!
    A: It's true that conservation is key, but more important is that people with ammo bags have seperate ammo for EVERY gun (The two assault rifles share clips, though) Say, Crash is using his rifle, and he's got an ammo bag. Just have him selected, right click, and bam, he can drop an autogun clip for the faltering Wildcat. Likewise, Wildcat with an ammo bag can drop some rifle clips for Crash in the same manner. Unless you're really inaccurate, there shouldn't be any problems this way.

Q: It's too dark, but I shouldn't have to turn up the gamma
    A: You shouldn't have to play in the dark, either . No, really, gamma is there because many monitors have different minimum and maximum brightnesses. Don't feel that it's cheating, because you're supposed to see the bugs when they aren't in an area designated as a shadow, because you can't without a flare\flashlight\scanner then until you're getting chomped on.

Q: What exactly does getting infected by a parasite do?
    A: It appears to me that the parasite is simply a very strong DOT (for those that aren't "in the know," that's Damage Over Time) You just need to survive until it wears off. Level 5 medics can cure it instantly and heal the damage, but otherwise, you'll have to rely on staying alive.

Q: Bots are really careful about friendly fire, aren't they? A little TOO careful!
    A: Bots don't have friendly fire. At all.

Q: My medkits keep running out.
    A: Half the game is survival, and if you get hurt a lot, one medkit isn't going to cover it. At the sacrifice of firepower, you can load your medics with two kits and a pistol, or bring both Faith and Bastille along. If you don't need Crash or Flynn, then this may be a fine choice anyway.

Q: It's too hard, even on easy!
    A: Extremely hard, I agree. On one hand, you shouldn't face such difficulty on easy, but on the other, it gives you a sense of accomplishment to finally complete it after much practice. However, who brags about winning on easy mode?

Q: The aliens just keep coming and coming! Are there unlimited?
    A: It's been said that it's just a very large number, but a better question; why are you stopping? Your mission isn't to get a high body count, it's to complete a specific objective. Sticking around in one place longer than necessary will only waste ammo, and possibly get you hurt.

Q: There's no mid-mission save point. Lose your favorite\important guy and it's back to the beginning.
    A: I've had a mission take up to 15 minutes long, and I was kind of messing around. Besides, it'd lose much of the importance of not losing any marines if you know you can go back to the save point 30 seconds earlier to try again.

Go on, add more.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 29 May 2004, 05:35 PM. Reason: title change

-What are these "unassisted kills" I keep receiving?
    -How many medals are avaliable?
    -How do I unlock the map variations?
    -Bots don't switch to (loaded)secondary weapons when their primary is empty!
    -I received two blue stars and two yellow stars after one mission, but I had only two points to upgrade stats, what's with that?

Here you go. I kinda have figured out two of 'em, but I'd like reassurement.

Comment

2 yellow stars give you 2 extra stat points, but are automatically assigned. Hover your mouse over them and it will tell you "1 bonus point for whatever". For me, it's usually for accuracy.

Comment

Extra skill points:

Perfect- marine is not damaged at ALL during the entire mission.
        +1 movement

IAF Honors (1st rank)- marine kills over 100 bugs in his tour of duty.
        +1 accuracy

Silver Halo (1st award)- marine shows exceptional ability in healing teammates.
        +1 special (heal) skill

Those are what I've found so far.

The only other nifty award I've found is Gunfighter - a marine kills 20 aliens with a pistol in a single mission. Grants the ability for the marine to use akimbo pistols. Equip that marine with pistols and they automatically have two (and double the ammo (24) per clip as well as double the rate of fire). Very cool, only wish there was a way to unlock that in single mission multiplayer.

As for the single mission rewards I dunno.. nothing for the first mission (I got tired after beating the campaign and finding out its only single missions that give you bonus modes).
        --Flak

Comment

Q: There is a door that is supposed to be hacked but all the techs died and no hacking tool either! What should I do?
          A: You dont have to hack it, just shoot it open. But its a waste of good ammo, so have a eye on your techs. The same counts for sealed doors.

Q: What are the different types of rifle-grenades?
          A: Special+Assaultrifle=Fragment; Explosives+Rifle=Incendiary; Explosives+AssaultShotty=Incendiary; Medic+Rifle=Fragment; Tech+PrototypeRifle=Stun; Tech+Rifle=Frag (I believe)

Q: What exactly is the effect of Stimpacks?
          -please answer-
          ingame aka dw.Joker

Comment

Originally posted by Bsycho
            Q: What exactly is the effect of Stimpacks?
            -please answer-
            Around 30 seconds of what is commonly known as "bullet time", an enhanced slow-motion mode that lets you react quicker to attacks, and gives you a fun inset camera view of your marine. Whilst playing some rocking music

Comment

Originally posted by Flak
              Extra skill points:

The only other nifty award I've found is Gunfighter - a marine kills 20 aliens with a pistol in a single mission. Grants the ability for the marine to use akimbo pistols. Equip that marine with pistols and they automatically have two (and double the ammo (24) per clip as well as double the rate of fire). Very cool, only wish there was a way to unlock that in single mission multiplayer.

As for the single mission rewards I dunno.. nothing for the first mission (I got tired after beating the campaign and finding out its only single missions that give you bonus modes).
              Yes you can, edit the..ini file AoCampaignGame.ini in your ut2004/system
              "I am tormented by dreams of our death, And grief at what is to come.
              For in dreams I have seen / The heavens falter, And the stars drop from the sky.
              In my dreams / Creation ceases without a sound. I have seen the destruction of the Way."

Comment

Originally posted by Akalamanaia
                Yes you can, edit the..ini file AoCampaignGame.ini in your ut2004/system
                Why so you can, how very neat. Akimbo pistols for everyone!

There's all kinds of stuff to monkey with in that file, but in the interests of not being a dirty cheater, I'll leave well enough alone.

Comment

Ack< I didn't notice you asked questions.

Q: What are these "unassisted kills" I keep receiving?
                  A: Some of the weapons have an auto-aiming feature, as you can see in the tutorial, and when red circles appear around enemies. Killing a bug by not aiming straight at them, but hitting anyway because of the autoaim is considered assisted. If you shoot them dead-on, regardless of autoaim, or have a weapon that doesn't have it (Assault rifle, pistol, flamer, shotguns), and don't use a flashlight or flares, then it is considered unassisted. These basically just count toward the Iron Dagger and Iron Sword, which can net you a skill point bonus.

Q: How many medals are avaliable?
                  A: Lots. Check out this thread it is quite leet.

Q: How do I unlock the map variations?
                  A: This is detailed in that thread as well. Quite leet.

Q: Bots don't switch to (loaded)secondary weapons when their primary is empty!
                  A: Yeah, that kind of sucks. You'll just have to watch their ammo, and switch for them.

Q: I received two blue stars and two yellow stars after one mission, but I had only two points to upgrade stats, what's with that?
                  A: The yellow stars are skills gained from medals, and are automatically assigned. Hover your mouse over the stars or the medals for more information.

Comment

Originally posted by Scar Trek
                    Around 30 seconds of what is commonly known as "bullet time", an enhanced slow-motion mode that lets you react quicker to attacks, and gives you a fun inset camera view of your marine. Whilst playing some rocking music
                    DISCO TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by Salsa
                      At the sacrifice of firepower, you can load your medics with two kits and a pistol
                      A nice idea, I think i'll try that sometime, thx
                      .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

A: Special+Assaultrifle=Fragment; Explosives+Rifle=Incendiary; Explosives+AssaultShotty=Incendiary; Medic+Rifle=Fragment; Tech+PrototypeRifle=Stun; Tech+Rifle=Frag (I believe)
                        No, no. The grenades are not dependant on the Marine using the weapon. They come with the weapons. True, you need special skills to use some of the weapons, tho.

A:
                        Assault Rifle (usable by all) - Normal grenades
                        Prototype Rifle (only Techs) - Stun grenades
                        Assault Shotty (only Explosives) - Incendiary grenades
                        Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Q. What the hell just happened on the elevator in mission 2?
                          A: Williams used a stimpack. Don't worry, he does it every time at the same point.

Comment

it's really awesome excpet i saw 4 aliens jumping around me and then i fell through the floor in slo motion. quite amusing

Comment

Contrary to all logic, the best way to use a sentry gun is to set it up and then stand INFRONT of it.

If you are standing idly behind one, its easy for an alien to sneak up on you and tag you. However, sentries don't friendly fire, so if you stand infront you will be able to draw the enemy into its fire arc.

This is useful to know for the lift on rescue. If you set one up in the corner, its possible to get to the bottom unscathed without firing a shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X