Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marines need to come back from the dead after a multiplayer campaign mission is done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marines need to come back from the dead after a multiplayer campaign mission is done

This is a huge problem currently. It would be a nice option (if it is, i am sorry for posting this) for clan games, but generally it is a bad idea. Any feature that forces players to leave is bad and that is just what this feature does. If a marine dies in a mission, they currently are unselectable and that means someone has to leave, which is NOT a good idea for a multiplayer focused game.

Again, something else like "Friendly Fire ON/OFF" and "Partial Clips Discarded/Combined" that should be an OPTION for servers and singleplayer games to choose between. Good point.

Comment

I agree only about the KIA thing. It's too much of a penalty.
      I like AS for the hardcoreness of the missions. Low ammo, friendly fire, etc, but losing players permanently really just plain sucks. It would be better if the KIA lost some skills (or just didnt get any new ones) after the mission. Some missions are also virtually impossible to complete with all marines alive.
      I like the friendly fire, if they make it an option I'm sure that 80% of the servers would run it, and make the game too easy (just bring autoguns/flamers, ammo packs and spam your way through)
      Fuzzle was killed by Player.
      Player: is FF on?

Comment

that's why there's the map reset thingy. if you get in a good game with good players who care about tactics it's really fun.

Comment

I like friendly fire, it makes (or at least tries to make) the kill-mongers think before they fire their flame thrower randomly into their team.

I do not like the kia thing. Losses happen in any game. Making people who were killed get reduced (or no) exp and having to wait until the round is over is a good enough penalty for being killed. forcing people to quit the server is way too big of a penalty. I rarely ever play campaign mode games now because of this and i have noticed that less servers seem to be setting the game mode to campaign. It does stink though since you have to play campaign to get access to some content (higher skills and the things that require them)

oh and i find that if you control your fire in a team, friendly fire and ammo is generally not a problem. The only problem comes when "Rambo Mc0wn4g3" decides that killing aliens is more important than his team mates' lives and then kills three team mates to kill two aliens (this just happened yesterday. the flame thrower user in question killed 3 people and nearly killed 3 others in just one attempt at a mission).

Vladi321: so we should constantly retry missions until we lose no marines? Even with a good team you are still going to lose players sometimes and how often do you find a group of people that works together well in a public server?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
            oh and i find that if you control your fire in a team, friendly fire and ammo is generally not a problem. The only problem comes when "Rambo Mc0wn4g3" decides that killing aliens is more important than his team mates' lives and then kills three team mates to kill two aliens (this just happened yesterday. the flame thrower user in question killed 3 people and nearly killed 3 others in just one attempt at a mission).

I had this on the very first mission. Just when we had all (read: all 6 of us) entered the air vent, the guy at the back tries to shoot any alien that's approaching us at the front. He killed 3.5 of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
              I do not like the kia thing. Losses happen in any game. Making people who were killed get reduced (or no) exp and having to wait until the round is over is a good enough penalty for being killed. forcing people to quit the server is way too big of a penalty. I rarely ever play campaign mode games now because of this and i have noticed that less servers seem to be setting the game mode to campaign. It does stink though since you have to play campaign to get access to some content (higher skills and the things that require them)
              Remember that campaign was only meant for about 4 people, so with 8 marines its expected over the 7 missions you'll get a casualty or two..

If you want to keep on playing, play single maps, there are plenty of people who want to play campaign, and if your hogging a slot and don't like it that ain't nice.

Not much content is available through campaign so far that I have seen, camera and map variations have all been unlocked only in single player, about all i can see in campaign is gunfighter and awards to raise stats... It doesn't really matter in single map mode as stats are fixed and frankly gun fighter is cool and all, but hardly pivotal, if you want it badly play single player or something.

Originally posted by Bob
              Vladi321: so we should constantly retry missions until we lose no marines? Even with a good team you are still going to lose players sometimes and how often do you find a group of people that works together well in a public server?
              The idea is eventually you will probably loose somebody, unless your team is all testers and makers like dalai and qantas and folk (Shameless praise ) then your going to loose someone now and then, with 6 people you should be alright, if you loose more than two marines your probably a wee bit screwed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzle
                I like the friendly fire, if they make it an option I'm sure that 80% of the servers would run it, and make the game too easy (just bring autoguns/flamers, ammo packs and spam your way through)
                So you're saying no to it purely on an assumption, one that certainly hasn't been proven. If anything, removing friendly fire makes pub servers better places to play since there won't be anyone going around TKing on purpose. Besides, it realistically wouldn't be 80% of servers.

I can't believe anyone would say NO to having more choices in the setup of the game they play. That's so counterproductive. No one's forcing you to change to no-FF, but right now we ARE forced to have FF.

So again, the idea of having the OPTION to allow all marines to be selectable again after a campaign mission makes sense - it's more options for servers to set up with and it offers a way for those of us who want to to have access to all the characters as they gain stats through a campaign without having to lose them and start over every time. It's just ANOTHER way to play. No one said you have to, but some of us would appreciate it.

Either that or make a way for characters in single mission mode to store stats that can build up by playing several singlemissions in a row - awarding stars and medals, etc, just like campaign mode does after a mission. That's the other way to solve it, thus allowing a way to increase stats on characters and still have a way to continue to access them.

Comment

Nahh Gretik, when i play in multiplayer games, it is not uncommon at all for only a few people to survive. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that most of us are new, but i still see it as being a problem.

oh and sadly, none of the servers seem to have 4 person limits. Most of them have huge player limits for some reason. Really, why would you allow 12 people in your server when only 8 max can play!?!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by JRock
                    So you're saying no to it purely on an assumption, one that certainly hasn't been proven. If anything, removing friendly fire makes pub servers better places to play since there won't be anyone going around TKing on purpose. Besides, it realistically wouldn't be 80% of servers.

I can't believe anyone would say NO to having more choices in the setup of the game they play. That's so counterproductive. No one's forcing you to change to no-FF, but right now we ARE forced to have FF.
                    this is still the unreal community... and be sure... just look how many ff servers for the other gametypes are out there. not just for fun or because it isnt "default"

but alien spawn is tactical... and if this means, someone cant handle his weapon, then give him another one.

but i agree... permanent death in online games is a too great penalty. for passworded servers ok, but not on free for all servers.

Comment

Jrock, i agree with the other poster who said that most servers would turn ff off. I also think no ff would be a bad thing. Currently, ff encourages people to learn how to use their weapons, if you turn it off, they just won't learn, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                        Jrock, i agree with the other poster who said that most servers would turn ff off. I also think no ff would be a bad thing. Currently, ff encourages people to learn how to use their weapons, if you turn it off, they just won't learn, ever.

That is why your server, my server, and most other servers where people play serious games would certainly continue to leave FF on most if not all the time.

It is however highly improbable that anyone can provide a solid reason why the OPTION shouldn't be available to disable it if so desired. IMO, what other people do is an excuse but not a valid reason.

Comment

The thing is that most mods dont really have an abundance of servers. AS has around 20-25 and only a fraction of those are playable to me ping-wise (let alone if they are running campaign, which I prefer). I think having the option of FF off would make the game boring for most people. Kinda like how godmode is fun for 3 minutes but then you kinda get bored with the entire game because of it.
                          As long as there are servers left for me to play on with FF, I won't argue. But if they let you turn it off I sincerely think there will be very few with it on.

Comment

With all due respect, I think ff does not engourage people to learn how to use their weapons... If a FF incident occurs, they are left "alone" to play, instead of receiving a penalty, they just get to hog more aliens.

That is the way I see it.

Comment

As of 10 minutes ago, 45 servers.

And what makes it any more correct for you to force people to have FF on, than it is for you to be forced to play with FF off, assuming you even would be? Especially if, as you claim, the majority of the community would enjoy the game more with FF off?

Comment

Working...
                              X