How to make the sentry useful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make the sentry useful

The sentry really requires a topic all its own since there are several things regarding it which peope have been discussing all over this forum.

Let's get some ideas going in here, because currently the sentry doesn't even do the job it was given to do, which is to hold off the enemy from a specific source or from getting through a specific chokepoint for a useful period of time. (Not to mention it doesn't give a warning when it's out of ammo.)

But the supposed 250 rounds it has go by in about 20 seconds when facing a steady flow of aliens one at a time, which is ridiculously pointless because when it's requested it is to provide a dependable safe direction from which players don't have to worry about being attacked FOR SOME TIME (not for 20 seconds but for at least a minute).

So really the options seem to be:

*Give it unlimited ammo
    OR
    *Give it at least twice the current ammo (500+ rounds) and make it re-fillable from a soldier carrying the ammo bag (ammo bag would have one(1) additional 500+ round ammo supply for it). Which would double its current (lack of) usefulness (and with an ammo bag, quadruple how long it currently lasts).

Additional requests regarding the sentry:

*Allow it to be broken back down and set up again somewhere else. (Clearly only useful once the ammo issue is addressed.)

*Audible warning when it's low on ammo and again when it runs out.

Feel free to bring up any other sentry-related concerns.

Normally the amount of ammo it has is more then enough to hold of bugs long enough.
    The only places it runs out sooner or later are the places with infinite bugs coming... And my advice is to get the hell away from those places as fast as possible! Don't hang around, just move through. If you place a sentry in a smart locationg it can cover your back while your going.

Comment

Originally posted by JRock
      The sentry really requires a topic all its own since there are several things regarding it which peope have been discussing all over this forum.

Let's get some ideas going in here, because currently the sentry doesn't even do the job it was given to do, which is to hold off the enemy from a specific source or from getting through a specific chokepoint for a useful period of time. (Not to mention it doesn't give a warning when it's out of ammo.)

But the supposed 250 rounds it has go by in about 20 seconds when facing a steady flow of aliens one at a time, which is ridiculously pointless because when it's requested it is to provide a dependable safe direction from which players don't have to worry about being attacked FOR SOME TIME (not for 20 seconds but for at least a minute).

So really the options seem to be:

*Give it unlimited ammo
      OR
      *Give it at least twice the current ammo (500+ rounds) and make it re-fillable from a soldier carrying the ammo bag (ammo bag would have one(1) additional 500+ round ammo supply for it). Which would double its current (lack of) usefulness (and with an ammo bag, quadruple how long it currently lasts).

Additional requests regarding the sentry:

*Allow it to be broken back down and set up again somewhere else. (Clearly only useful once the ammo issue is addressed.)

*Audible warning when it's low on ammo and again when it runs out.

Feel free to bring up any other sentry-related concerns.
      I think the idea of a sentry turret in a game where you're mostly on the move is silly anyways. It's really helpfull in survival maps, but in most other situations it's just a piece of additional luggage. Why not turn it into a slow moving weapons platform (ALA XCOM1) that follows the owner and just acts as an AI (but can't be inhibited). Give it a tech prerequisite and make it so that with a higher tech level, it'll get better accuracy/health etc.

Woo!

That'll be an incentive to bring two techies along instead of just one.

Comment

Give the thing more ammo, a lot more ammo but also give it an overheat mode where if it overheats it has to cool down before firing again, a short delay of a few seconds or so and an audioable warning sound rather than a graphic would be cool for when the sentry was getting close to overheating, would encourage players to still kill off bugs and use it as an assist rather than ploping it down and expecting it to do all the work.

Comment

The sentry gun is ok. It is extremely useful in situations where there is constantly spawning aliens coming from a general location. Yes, it doesn't last forever, but it lasts long enough for you to do what you need to do (either get out of there, or live long enough to complete an objective).

I used to think making it reusable would be good, but that would make fire mines useless since they are sort of a multi use, mini sentry.

Comment

I've honestly never had it run out on me. It does need to be repackable, tho... and having a light on it or something telling you its empty would be nice.

Comment

Sentry gun is fine as it is. These suggestions sound nice, but they will make the game increasingly complex and unworkable.

Also the best tactic for using it is to stand a few feet infront of it.

Comment

So far the only time I've used it was when we stuck it in front of the door firing at aliens from an infinite spawn while we sealed the door. But unfortuatly that situation has only come up once and when we try to duplicate it, its creamy goodness is one smoldering mess but we make it through some how anyway lol.

**One solution**
                Have two types of auto cannons. A Small one that comes in groups of 5 and can be placed and holds 250 rounds each. If you wish to "salvage" one you may get back half its remaining ammo to feed into another one. (This would need the ammo idea posted above.) Maybe for every 3 small ones salvaged, it makes one more small one.

**Spawn off from this idea**
                Maybe making the big normal cannon have 1000 rounds, and have the option of spawning 5 little ones from it. or can use the big one until you want to salvage it and it costs 100 rounds to take apart again.

**Second idea**
                Just add more ammo... and have it so it uses the current gun equipt as its main weapon. Doing so doubles ur current ammo of that weapon (as long as its attached) and the auto turret will use that until you take your gun back. When you do that your gun is replenished with appropriate ammo. One time use.(?) Imagine a flamer auto turret or shot gun.
                "A True Hero isn't measured by the size of his sword but by the Size of his Heart" - Life Motto

"I'm not a TKer. I'm just an alien in desguise" - AS Motto

Happy Webmaster of The Final Quandary

Comment

Originally posted by FelixTT
                  Sentry gun is fine as it is. These suggestions sound nice, but they will make the game increasingly complex and unworkable.
                  Not at all. Having it have more ammo in NO WAY makes ANYTHING more complex or unworkable about it. YOU are being complex and unworkable by being so disagreeable.

I'm quickly becoming less and less interested in playing this mod anymore since it's gone from difficult to simply tedious (and thus unenjoyable) to try to complete any more singleplayer missions and all the mp play is pretty much played out.

It was fun for about 24 hours. Now it needs some change and additions. Half of the "community" here insisting on being disagreeable and contradictory about simple, useful improvements and changes, doesn't make it optimistic that this mod will get better - rather it appears it will stay exactly as it is and that will lead to more people than just me losing interest quite quickly.

To disagree with simple improvements like more ammo for the sentry and the ability to reload it once from an ammo bag, blows my mind. The ability to disassemble (it's one more item on the rightclick menu OMG THAT'S SO COMPLEX AND UNWORKABLE FOR THE PLAYER TO PERFORM) and re-deploy elsewhere is a solid idea, but only even worth doing if it gets more ammo and ability to be resupplied. Clearly the important and primary suggestion is to improve its ammo capacity.

If you want to see some needlessly complex solutions, look at the post right above this one, by Xerseus. My suggestions are simplistic and to the point, and come from years of playing games and mods and thus generally knowing what is an appropriate way to address what is seen by a good number of us as a problem.

If you've never had it run out you are probably playing mp on Easy and are running through the maps very quickly. In singleplayer it's ROUTINE for it to run out because the entire process of moving the team takes FOREVER because you have to micromanage so much unless you want to risk the Move Out command which bunches everyone up like untrained idiots instead of marines, making them easy targets when you move around like that.

I (and others) have posted a lot of suggestions over the past day. Hopefully some will work their way into the next version. If not that's cool. I doubt I'll even still be playing this mod whenever the next version comes out seeing as I'm already tired of the sp part, due mostly to the difficulty which has become tedium and thus for me a lack of fun. Yes, I play games to win, not to frustrate myself and get stressed. Gaming for me is a relaxation tool, not a competition. At least the mp part of this mod is somewhat fun since I don't have to manage all the soldiers at the same time, but it's still getting old quickly and the immense fear of change around here isn't going to help keep it interesting and improving.

Comment

first post :p

This damn mod has pretty much taken over my entire weekend and I daresay it will claim many, many more.

Anyway, I like the idea of being able to restock the sentry. The starting ammo is fine imo, but the ammo bag should have something like 3 sentry gun refills. That would be great.

Comment

Everything that was suggested in this thread has been suggested/tested during the testing period of AS.

Turrets with loads/unlimited amounts of ammo, that could be moved around the map would mean marines could just chill back whenever there were bugs.

The turrets work how the way they do, cause that's the way they are meant to work. As a resource that can be used in keylocations to cover the marines.
                      Me? I always bring a sentry with me, cause they are very effectiv at their job.

Comment

Sentries rock as are, I haven't had a point yet where one has run out of ammo... If it has you probably stayed there too long or didn't support it or didn't bring enough of them.

Comment

Movable, refillable sentries almost made it in as a Tech Marine skill...

Comment

... *gobsmacked* still i stand by what i say, i haven't yet had a problem with sentries that wasn't due to placement or lingering...

Comment

Everyone listen to Master-Builder. If he can kill people with crates, I think he can tell the real story on sentries!

Comment

Working...
                              X