No announcement yet.

First thoughts and a few suggestions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First thoughts and a few suggestions...

Hello, I've been clocking up the hours on this mod over the weekend, and since it's eating up so much of my free time I thought i'd share a few thoughts.

First off, I absolutely love this mod, I haven't touched standard UT2k4 since it was released because I just can't stop playing swarm. I don't think I have played a team game yet that has required quite as much teamwork and is as immersive as this game (XMP came very close, but it didn't have voice chat.)

Anyway, on with the suggestions:

1)Friendly fire - I see a few people here and on the official forums begging for a FF off option. I think this would totally destroy the game, utterly! Rather than just remove such an integral part of the game, why not just include a punishment system for those that tk, without punishing people too much for 'one-off' accidental kills.

How about having tk stages or something whereby if a player gets one tk they lose 50% max ammo for the weapon they tk'd with. For two kills they drop that weapon and are unable to pick it up, but someone else can, and for 3 tk's they are kicked. Any thoughts?

This could even be extended to the next game in a campaign so that someone who got two tk's in the previous game would be unable to select that weapon in the next one.

Once again, friendly fire is very important to the game. While I haven't seen any obvious lamers yet, there are still plenty of slightly clueless players who load up with the flamer and shotgun and end up wiping out their team by spamming them to death.

2)More rewards for tecchies. Come on, the medic gets rewards, so do the gunners. Why not have something for tecchies? maybe for team assisted manouvres such as hacking, unwelding doors (only counts for doors welded at start of game, to prevent abuse), deploying turrets and supplying marines with ammo for example.

I often play as the tech, but it's gets a little frustrating because I always get left behind in terms of skills. Though being able to unlock turrets is a nice bonus.

3)Personal balance issues:

I reckon the autogun could do with about 1/3 less starting ammo, and be more reliant on someone having an ammo bag to be effective. As it is they can usually go up front and spam away all game, leaving very little for the other guys to shoot at. To a smaller extent the same goes for the flamethrower.

Sentry gun. This has been covered in other threads, but I think it would be nice to be able to restock it with ammo.

Torch. I think this has been covered too, but i'd like to see more people with the torch. Currently it is not worth sacrificing a welder/medkit/stim for the sake of a small light. Instead I reckon it should be tied to player stats. Once you reach level 3 movement or something you would have the light and not need to assign it to a vital inventory slot. Other players would still have access, but would have to use the slot as per usual.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I was thinking about some of these all afternoon whilst playing, so I thought i'd vent my spleen before I go to bed and forget who I am and what I'm doing here

edit:

I just remembered another one. I wish the game would remember your player and assign him/her to you at the start of each game. It's annoying to be playing someone and have some good stats and then some git comes in and takes your player

'How about having tk stages or something whereby if a player gets one tk they lose 50% max ammo for the weapon they tk'd with. For two kills they drop that weapon and are unable to pick it up, but someone else can, and for 3 tk's they are kicked. Any thoughts?'

Bad idea. I haven't played a game yet where people deliberately TK others. This will just make the game even harder.

Comment

The idea behind it is that someone who gets an accidental tk would be punished for it which might make them try to be more careful. They would still be able to use the weapon, but they would have to be more conservative with their ammo, failing that, drop the weapon and grab a regular rifle or something.

Meh, just an idea.

Comment

I declare the official FREE TORCH campaign! Bloody useless thing isn't worth taking a slot, and the marines all have one anyway (you can see the beam and all)!

Comment

Working...
        X