Suggestion: Formations and Giving Orders while Paused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Formations and Giving Orders while Paused

I'm loving this mod, one of the best I've ever played as is and this is only the first release. In some ways the gameplay reminds me of the Baldur's Gate series where you're controlling a squad in real time, and two of the elements in those games that would be great to see in Alien Swarm are movement formations and the ability to give orders when the game is paused (in single player). I spend a lot of time moving my marines one by one trying to keep them in a formation where they are covering all of the directions in which the swarm might attack, in fact i mapped the "Select Next Marine" key to my mousewheel to make it easier to move them this way, but it would be much easier if i could just select a box or diamond formation and have the squad move together as one. A column formation would be great for sections like in the Core Reactor map where the trailing marines keep getting bunched up in the doorways and with 2 minutes to get to the cooling tanks there's not much time to take control of each marine the whole way. Giving orders while paused would help in those sections where all hell breaks loose and you're need to stop the action and adjust to what's happening - this happens a lot in this mod. I dont know if that would make the game too easy, just a suggestion. This is a great mod and I hope development continues b/c there's nothing else quite like it out there.

Originally posted by Gameover Man
    I'm loving this mod, one of the best I've ever played as is and this is only the first release. In some ways the gameplay reminds me of the Baldur's Gate series where you're controlling a squad in real time, and two of the elements in those games that would be great to see in Alien Swarm are movement formations and the ability to give orders when the game is paused (in single player). I spend a lot of time moving my marines one by one trying to keep them in a formation where they are covering all of the directions in which the swarm might attack, in fact i mapped the "Select Next Marine" key to my mousewheel to make it easier to move them this way, but it would be much easier if i could just select a box or diamond formation and have the squad move together as one. A column formation would be great for sections like in the Core Reactor map where the trailing marines keep getting bunched up in the doorways and with 2 minutes to get to the cooling tanks there's not much time to take control of each marine the whole way. Giving orders while paused would help in those sections where all hell breaks loose and you're need to stop the action and adjust to what's happening - this happens a lot in this mod. I dont know if that would make the game too easy, just a suggestion. This is a great mod and I hope development continues b/c there's nothing else quite like it out there.
    Implement various ways for AI's to form up by adding an extra menu.

Form up:
    Semicircle(C) (1 marine in front of you, others next to you, all facing same way).
    Full circle(V) (marines form a triangle with you in the middle. All look in a different direction).
    Scatter(x) (marines move to random spots but face their original direction)

Marines should also move aside when you bump into them. I've been boxed in by my own marines far too many times. It's kinda hard not to FF them when they close in on you like that. In the case of stand ground, the marine should move back to their original spot after you bumped them away.

Comment

http://www.blackcatgames.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4083

Comment

I agree, formations are just about the only thing this mod is lacking.
        I don't play to win, I play to fight.

Comment

Working...
        X