Mission 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mission 2

Can someone who's been through this mission (Rescue the marine Williams) tell me how you got past all of the spawn points? I'm now bringing two sentry guns, and a level 2 hacker to activate a third turret, but by the time I get past the first three spawn points (one appears behind you when you get to the lift, one or two in the cargo area to the right of the lift, and one by the third camera turret) and find williams i'm usually down to 1-2 marines and low on ammo, then I hit the spawn point north of williams position and cant get past it. Any tips? I think the unlimited spawns might be the one thing about this mod I dont like, there's a fine line between difficult and frustrating, this game definitely has that Contra/R-Type level of difficulty, I just hope it doesn't get so frustrating that it stops being fun, this is only mission 2 and I'm assuming it gets tougher.

Originally posted by Gameover Man
    Can someone who's been through this mission (Rescue the marine Williams) tell me how you got past all of the spawn points? I'm now bringing two sentry guns, and a level 2 hacker to activate a third turret, but by the time I get past the first three spawn points (one appears behind you when you get to the lift, one or two in the cargo area to the right of the lift, and one by the third camera turret) and find williams i'm usually down to 1-2 marines and low on ammo, then I hit the spawn point north of williams position and cant get past it. Any tips? I think the unlimited spawns might be the one thing about this mod I dont like, there's a fine line between difficult and frustrating, this game definitely has that Contra/R-Type level of difficulty, I just hope it doesn't get so frustrating that it stops being fun, this is only mission 2 and I'm assuming it gets tougher.
    What difficulty do you play? I brought just a standard 'bit of everything' team and I made it through without any loses on the first try.

Come to think of it, I haven't activated any turrets either... but that was on easy though.

Comment

well I just ran through the dimond shaped room - with wildcat shooting all the way to kill anything coming infront in the hall and everyone else on follow, they can handle the few bugs comming from your right and left dont stay put - its just a waste of ammo.
      only take one sentary gun, might want to give faith two medpacs though, when she has used one she can pick up the other sentarly gun in that room. give her a pistol and she might just get akimbo

set up a sentary at the lift facing back the way you came, dont sit on the grate thouhg, you want to have some marines facing that way to kill the eggs and bugs on the lift when it gets to you.
      when you get to the botom of the lift just make a run for it, you could set up the other setury on the lift on the way down.

Comment

Normal difficulty. I've noticed that if you know where you're going and you keep moving while covering and firing eventually the spawn points "deactivate" when you get far enough away and you can just keep going, the problem is that sometimes you get stuck not sure where to go next and if you're near a spawn point you're screwed. As a result I've taken to a trial and error approach to the missions, figuring out which way to go with the single marine who survived the spawn point, restarting and trying again. Thing is, this is starting to get old and I'm only on mission two.

Comment

Maybe you should try it on easy until you have more practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Salsa
            Maybe you should try it on easy until you have more practice.
            i couldn't, i'd feel dirty.

Comment

I haven't made it passed this mission either, on normal OR easy. The problem I'm having with this mission is that it's all try, fail, retry until you have every trigger on the map memorized and you move your squad appropriately.

With this type of gameplay, a save/reload or at the very least, checkpoints to restart from would be in order.

No, I do not suck at this game. I find it hard to believe that anyone went through Mission 2 without getting anyone killed on the first try.* For a mission 2 of a single player game, this one is particularly hard and it doesn't help that I've PERFECTED the beginning parts of the level to the point where redoing it is just annoying.

*The 'first try' meaning that the only Alien Swarm you've played up to the point where you tried Mission 2 only included the time it took you to go through the tutorial, and play Mission 1 two or three times to get all 4 squad members through without being injured. If you did happen to make it through the first try, I'll have to assume that you played a bunch of other missions first, or that you played mission 2 in a lot of multiplayer games.

Comment

*shrugs* I find the maps actually EASIER on SP, since the bots have no FF and are unerringly accurate (I never shoot parasites, for instance; the bots get there first)

However, I don't think M2 is that hard. Until you get to storage it's easy, then you get an autogun near the turret port and kill till they're all dead, then you move into the dark area (where you've activated the turret) ... frankly we lose guys on the broken door more than anywhere else!

Once you've got Williams, I just pissbolt all the way to the cargo lift and set up a sentry; I've never had a single sentry run out, and I set it up right next to the lift button. On the lift, I set up a sentry in a corner and hide in front of it with autoguns and flamers; then when it stops run like a silly bastard to the exit. The later parasite-filled levels are much harder, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X