Great Game!!! But so %^&* Hard!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Game!!! But so %^&* Hard!!

Wow, I was loving this game! Until about the 25th time trying to beat the first level. OMG it is so hard. If I played it once, I played it one hundred times. There were a few things that annoyed me that hindered my progress.

1. My stupid marines keep getting stuck at the beginning of the vents or narrow hallways or whatever they are. I lose precious time because I have to keep moving each one individually.

2. Twice I somehow managed to get someone stuck ON TOP of the walls (in the vents). I don't even know how they got up there but I couldn't get Wildcat down the 2nd time. And I wound up losing because the place blew up. Arrrrggghhh.

3. This totally ticks me off - I have difficulty set to Normal but after the mission it said difficulty was EASY. WTF??? Maybe I should have changed it to Easy... to avoid some frustration.

Hopefully now that I've gotten the hang of it, it won't be so hard on further levels. Trial and error has taught me some things. It is a great mod with oodles of coolness and atmosphere. Good job. Now make the next levels easier so that I don't break my mouse/monitor/kb/whatever :p .

I've actually seen that bug in reverse, where I set it to easy but the end says normal.
    Is this just a typo or is it a bug where the difficulty is indeed on the wrong setting?

Comment

I dont know if it's intended (I think it is) but each mission sometimes have their own difficulty setting. The first mission will be easy, the later ones will be hard. This might have something to do with campaign as aliens get stronger as you progress, I dont know if this goes for mission mode. (A parasite on the first level does almost *no* damage, but a parasite after the second mission will almost always kill you if you arent healed).

The game needs patience for the most of it. Don't rush, don't rush, and most importantly, don't rush.
      The aliens will spawn when you walk over certain triggers or press buttons. If you walk too fast you will spawn too many at one time, this is almost always the case why online games are so hard, you have that one guy still playing ut2k3 with the running and gunning and constantly moving (Remember that you don't need to move in AS unless you are being slapped by an alien. In teams it's better to just sit still so you won't run into other peoples fire, and vice versa. You are also less likely to take friendly fire when crouching).
      I could ramble about tactics all day, this game needs a lot of it, and less rambos!
      Fuzzle was killed by Player.
      Player: is FF on?

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzle
        The game needs patience for the most of it. Don't rush, don't rush, and most importantly, don't rush.
        Except for those times you need to rush like hell. ^_^
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Well, yeah
          There is a difference between having a plan and going "Let's rush past this area!", and "Hey I wonder what's up ahead, let's run and see if something interesting happens".
          If there is a guy with the latter philosophy on your team you are almost guaranteed (I'm gonna say you *are* guaranteed) to get people killed.
          Fuzzle was killed by Player.
          Player: is FF on?

Comment

There's a bug in the difficulty display at the end in campaign which'll be fixed in the first patch. As Fuzzle has rightly pointed out, the campaign missions do get harder as you progress, a slight modifier applied either side of your chosen difficulty depending on the threat level of the mission (as shown on the campaign map).

Comment

I too have experienced this "Vent Bug" in the Reactor vents. I have no idea how the AI's get up there, but it has something to do with 2 of them getting stuck in one of the passages. I get to the end and go "Where is Faith?!?" then when I switch to her, she is up ontop of the world...
              Sometimes the aliens get up there as well, only they can hit you and seem to be able to get down.
              I will never forget the time a parasite jumped up, out of the map and then back down onto one of my marines . The SONUVA...
              .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Originally posted by Jray
                1. My stupid marines keep getting stuck at the beginning of the vents or narrow hallways or whatever they are. I lose precious time because I have to keep moving each one individually.
                Marines getting stuck is a real pain. You don't have to move every marine individually though. I usually just swap to either the marine blocking in the front or back, make the rest follow, and either push trough or take a quick walk around the room you came from before squeezing through whatever is hindering your path. That usually turns out good (using marine selection, follow and hold position binds it can be done quite fast too).

Sorry if you feel I’m being to frickin’ obvious, maybe you just exadurated too make a point.

Comment

Originally posted by [nt]Leo
                  I usually just swap to either the marine blocking in the front or back, make the rest follow, and either push trough or take a quick walk around the room you came from before squeezing through whatever is hindering your path. That usually turns out good (using marine selection, follow and hold position binds it can be done quite fast too).

Sorry if you feel I’m being to frickin’ obvious, maybe you just exadurated too make a point.
                  Yes, I was slightly exaggerating. Sometimes you can move just the one blocking the door but it can also be hard to tell which one to move. Like if 3 of them get stuck. There have been a few times where all 3 have gotten stuck and I have to sort out all of them. And micro-managing such a mundane task while aliens are swarming you is difficult.

I like the idea put forth by some others in a different thread about having formations. That could solve this problem. Or just make the pathfinding and spacing between the marines better.

Comment

You're absolutley right, there are times when this problem gets really bad. I think the formations idea is great. And like someone mentioned in another thread, it would be fantastic if the AI marines would try to get out of the way automaticly when you bump in to them.

Comment

have lots of patience
                      especially online ...
                      and by the time you know your areas you ll know which parts u can or have to rush by
                      like near the end of level 2 you can easily rush with your team to the elevator, and when you r down you can rush to the end
                      but dont rush trough a spot with a bunch of eggs or parasites for example. bad idea and leads to lots of pain :p

trust me, by the time you finish the first 2 missions the others will be a lot easier just cause you get the hang of the game
                      especially the first one can be tricky with the timer to activate the cooling valve.
                      tip: try a sentry gun

Comment

Working...
                      X