Tutorial Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial Issues

Recently I've heard a few complaints about the tutorial mission, I'd just like to point out a few issues that were brought up for a possible fix in a patch.

One person has managed to be killed by the explosive barrel near Faith, it may be required to have this only explode when someone with high enough health passes it or, if no-one has enough health to have it explode on them simply make it detonate when no-one is near (if they're hurt enough to die to the barrel they don't need to be damaged to try healing).
    There has also been mention of them accidentally killing one of their teammates, now I don't think you can really remove this, as showing the game includes friendly fire is important... but this causes the 'positioning marines' section to break, it may be required to change that section so you only have to place the marines you have on the spots, if there are two marines left you can activate two of the alienspawners and so on.

While I realise you're not supposed to lose any marines on the training mission it would be useful if they could still complete it if they do.

While I'm on the topic of the positioning marines section I'd like to point a couple of minor issues I've spotted myself, if an alien doesn't get killed quickly enough (ie. when caught on a wall for a few moments) the door opens before all the aliens are dead. Also I think the rifle pickups to the south of this section don't have much ammo in them, when I gave one to Faith it seemed to run out extremely quickly.
    Last edited by Brent Rivienne; 4 Jun 2004, 05:23 AM.
    Important posts: Loadout screen:Scoreboard:Tutorial:Voicechat:Grenade aim:Upgrade points:Auto-reload
    - Kalias

There is more ammo everywhere and the barrel exploding seems to add a twist! Just dont take any damage like a real marine and watch out and everythings fine
    Creater of the Unofficial 'n00blets guide to AlienSwarm' Available here: CLICK MA!

Comment

The main problem at the moment is that if you lose a marine you cannot continue, it could do with either showing a 'You lose' screen when a marine dies... or be altered to let you complete it with one or two marines.
      Important posts: Loadout screen:Scoreboard:Tutorial:Voicechat:Grenade aim:Upgrade points:Auto-reload
      - Kalias

Comment

Im sure this will be fixed in the next release
        Creater of the Unofficial 'n00blets guide to AlienSwarm' Available here: CLICK MA!

Comment

I don't think you should be able to complete the training mission if you lose a marine. I think the mission should arbitrarily fail.

Comment

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the tutorial doesn't teach about the frag/stun/incendiary grenades. Or the mines.
            Which are pretty big omissions, really.

Comment

I too failed the Tutorial on the first time, because I set Faith on fire with the Flamer and could not complete that positioning lesson!

Maybe the Tutorial "god" could come in, call you a dumbass, resurrect the dead marine(s), and warn you that dead is REALLY dead outside the Tutorial. This would solve the issue with the positoning lesson, as well as anything else that gets all of your marines killed (friendly fire, exploding barrels, bugs kicked my ass, etc.)

Comment

People need to know the meaning of TK. Send them all to Ao-Bomberman for further "training".

Comment

If you manage to kill one of your marines, and have to restart, what's the problem with that, really, i managed to do the tutorial in the first try (and proud of it ). You'll learn that you can kill your teammates, and that's good, becuase not everyone knows that there is something called "friendly fire".

ABout adding mines and grenades to the tutorial, I think it's rather important, I didn't know what the explosives mines did, so i never used them until someone said "mines are good in this mission" in some mp-game. I figured the greandes out, since there was an bind for launching grenades in the settings, otherwise, i probably wouldn't have now known what the small things which looked like bullets in the HUD was.
                  mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

I think the tutorial needs to cover the roster menu for character selection . *hint hint* This idea should be moved to teh bug idea thread cuz that is, in essence, a thread about things for the new patch no?

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

I gotta agree that being killed by a barrel without even the slightest warning... in a tutorial level... can be quite stupid.

But even so, I suppose tweaking the positioning bit is the easiest solution to this problem.
                      Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard
                        Maybe the Tutorial "god" could come in, call you a dumbass, resurrect the dead marine(s), and warn you that dead is REALLY dead outside the Tutorial.
                        I really like this idea, especially if there will be a couple more lessons included in the tutorial someday. That way people would se how easily team mates can be killed; and are at the same time encouraged to finish the tutorial before doing anything else. Why not encourage the player to shotty/flame an AI somehow for the heck of it, not to mention the wisdom gained (like scripting a bot to run up front at some critical moment maybe?)

Comment

Originally posted by Taika
                          I think the tutorial needs to cover the roster menu for character selection . *hint hint* This idea should be moved to teh bug idea thread cuz that is, in essence, a thread about things for the new patch no?
                          I gotta agree with this. It should be IN the next patch. Should also cover how to heal as well...

and ran 10m away from
                          I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

Comment

I have an even better idea
                            Instead of the barrel exploding when you pass, have an AI trigger it-- alarms, beeping, voice saying "omg teh aliarns" then in comes williams from the top of the corridor, saying something like "Follow me" and then the barrel explodes and kills him. Or I don't know, have him hit a switch to open a door and get exploded then (so that the players can see it but not interfere/get exploded as well).
                            Also needs to be fleshed out: the ammobag/flamer combination. I would really like this to be a viable weapon, letting you drop an ammo bag and detonate it with some flames from "afar" to perhaps take out Uplink's baddy or clear the nest in observation... assuming you are sufficiently skilled and have the right eq, or a sufficiently gullible/masochistic partner.
                            I wandered a bit there, let me reexplain

In the tutorial, you need to find out that a person carrying an ammo bag is vulnerable to explode around flamers and incendiary grenades. Everything after that is pure 'man wouldn't it be cool if' junk.

Comment

i also think that the effect FF from flamer needs to be re-inforced . it really hurts...like...you need to make it so when you pick up flamer screen wide letters pop out and say "THIS WILL KILL UR TEAM MATES LIKE A MOFO IF UR NOT CAREFUL WITH IT!!!!!!"

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

Working...
                              X