On unlimited spawners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On unlimited spawners

The spawners in AS are pretty much triggered spawns, a spawner that produces a limited number when you pass it, or a spawner that sends out a constant steam of aliens forever. For the unlimited spawners once you identify them they are fairly easy to deal with as they are quite predictable.

Why not have them build up waves and release them at random? For example the unlimited spawner would add another alien to the wave ever 2 seconds and randomly release the wave every 1-20 seconds. This way you could get 2 aliens, a 10 seconds break, then 5 aliens. Overall they would produce the same amount of aliens, but they would be released in clusters making them more dangerous and less predictable. It would also have an interesting "Guys, it hasn't released anything in a while get ready" effect for when a large amounts of aliens are released at once. Besides the aliens in the movies rarely come one at a time. They usually come in waves.

Just some way to make the unlimited spawners something more unpredictable. That way you have to react to it instead of just dealing with a slow trickle.

If you have time to think about this ingame, you aren't moving fast enough
    Infinate spawners are used to force players to move quickly through dangerous areas.

That, and waves would slow down most computers.
    Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
    Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
    Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

I agree with reaver. I avoid the infinite spawns as much as possible. If you know how the mission works you can usually work fast enough to get past them before you waste too much ammo. Most of the places where the infinites are used you are waiting for either time to run out or one of your teammates to hack/cut/seal something.
      Telic Corporation

Comment

Still memorization of them makes them very controllable. For example in research if I put 1 auto-gun on the left hallway and 2 marines on the south hallway while I hack I know they will never get past.

Comment

That's why we want more randomness. You reach a point where you know the maps too well.

Comment

Originally posted by Warskull
            Still memorization of them makes them very controllable. For example in research if I put 1 auto-gun on the left hallway and 2 marines on the south hallway while I hack I know they will never get past.
            Why not just weld them shut and not need any in the hallway?

But I agree some randomization wouldn't hurt. Although this is a very hard mod already. The only thing thats making it easy for people is knowing what to expect the next time they try it.

So really it comes down if the devs want this mod to be easy or not. Which seems to be no. So I really hope randomization of someway gets put in. Maybe just add some extra spawnpoints and randomize that.

*edit* Just had an idea.. how bout you have like 3 or whatever variations of the same map. So when it loads it on the server it randomly picks one of those 3 or whatever maps that look the same. So while your running the same course you wouldn't know which spot the aliens will come from. Maybe they'll all attack from the north.. maybe they'll evenly spread out. Is that possible? Your map folder would be 3 times as big, but atleast it wouldn't be so easy to memorize the spawns.
            Last edited by Metamorphosis; 4 Jun 2004, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X