Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cut movement speed in half for better gameplay and teamwork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut movement speed in half for better gameplay and teamwork.

The hyperADD speed of all the marines is counterproductive to it's gameplay style.
    A game like this should be slower and more calculated in it's movement speed (Think of "Aliens Vs predator 2", or "Natural Selection". It wouldn't be as suspensefull and immersive if the marines zipped around at warp speed, bouncing off walls, and outrunning the aliens)

Lower movement speed would make it easier for the teams to stick together and move as one.
    It would encourage more teamwork, heighten tension and suspense, as well as make the game more immersive by allowing players to take in the levels more as they maneuver through them.

On another note: Take off teamdamage.
    This does NOT add to the gameplay in it's current form. It only LIMITS the gameplay by making many weapons impractical.
    Given the hyperADD speed of the marines, the limited control of a top-down viewpoint, and the darkness of the levels, it's a recipe for total TK disaster.

Tried stimpacks yet?
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I'm talking about reducing the marine speed to keep them together, encourage more teamwork, and make for a more immersive game environment.

Alien speed would stay the same. Thus, stimpacks remain just as useful.

Comment

Its up to you to communicate with the team and get them to slow down. I've found that talking over the mic is the best way to coordinate a team.
        Telic Corporation

Comment

You can actually test this theory. At the console type: Set Input X Toggle bDuck
          Then hit X and hey presto, slow move speed.

Comment

I disagree, I like the fast-paced action!
            + there is still plenty of scope for strategy and teamwork.
            .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Marine movement speed could be cut in half and it would still be very fast paced action.

Hyper alien speed + Hyper marine speed is just overkill ADD mayhem IMO.

Given the limited scope of a top-down viewpoint and the small levels, such a ridiculous movement speed is really counter-productive to what the game is striving for. It's easy to get seperated in the blink of an eye.

Comment

youre crazy! i love the adrenaline rush that alien swarm is now, if you have a decent group of people who know what theyre doing, it flows beautifully. and if you were in a situation like that you would either A) get your mission done asap flawlessly real fast or B) take your sweet time and plan everything and try to think things through.
                plus it'll help you with reaction times and such , if you want slow paced action go play yourself a nice rpg or rts

Comment

Today's Sesame Street was brought to you by the letters W, T and F
                  Meow.

Comment

How about set the default movement speed to walk.

Maybe freaks would run ahead a little less.

As for friendly fire - don't you think the Assault shotgun + flamethrower would be just a teensy bit overpowered if they were removed? Those weapons are intended to be extremely damaging to your team - but are exteremely damaging to the enemy, if you can USE THEM CORRECTLY.

Comment

Well... I'm all for testing the duck-speed mission. Now all we need is a couple more marines and a server.
                      Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Removing friendly fire will kill this game...that is what makes it so wonderful...you have to be careful but sometimes take necessary risks to take down very dangerous aliens at the cost of a marine life...

If you do remove friendly fire even if it's only optional, make it so that aliens are faster/do more damage/are a lot harder to kill so that it compensates...this game is perfect as it is...

If you are tired of getting team killed by non-experienced players with shotguns and flamethrowers, tell them and explain to them why they shouldn't take these unless they fit a specific role as in checking the rear or something...you can also check this out: sixclan.cjb.net

hey it never hurts to advertise a bit does it?

Comment

forgot to add...lower movement speed could be very interesting...im up for it...

Comment

Slower marine speed does almost nothing to diminish the adrenaline rush of combat, as aliens and weapons remain unchanged.
                            In actuality, I think it would increase the adrenalin and suspense of combat.

BTW: I believe that the teamdamage would be more managable with slower marine speed.

Comment

very true!

Comment

Working...
                              X