Would this be a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be a good idea?

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but how about a little pre-mission planning map/screen, ala Rainbow Six style? The leader could put little markers on a map to indicate where to go, when and what to do, these wouldn't necessarily have to appear while playing though.

nah that would take the fun out of surprises....
    It adds to the suspension if you don't know what and when it's coming for ya
    and maps where you need to find things would make it too easy...
    i would leave it as it is
    The Greatest Scienentists Unravel Secrets Of The World Every Day.
    They Think They Know Them All Until They Discover Another One...
    The Secret Of The World???? They Don't Know....
    I Do....
    No I Won't Share

Comment

I want waypoints, but i cant think of a way to use them ;/ trying to think of a balanced suggestion ;p

Comment

Darkdibblez: The map that you would place waypoints on wouldn't necessarily have objetives marked, you could however assume that 'okay, this room is huge, that means it's got a bunch of aliens' or 'this room has a blinking green light, that must = important'.

Playing a map once and then figuring out tactics works too, but especially in campaigns, this could be usable.

Comment

well i just liked the first time plays in wich you didnt know where to go what the map looked like what you where up against ect
          but that is my opinion...
          if the devs like it and they want to implement it there free to but please them make an on and off option
          The Greatest Scienentists Unravel Secrets Of The World Every Day.
          They Think They Know Them All Until They Discover Another One...
          The Secret Of The World???? They Don't Know....
          I Do....
          No I Won't Share

Comment

Perhaps they could limit the area of the map visible before the mission, allowing some planning, but also allowing for suprises. For example, you might be able to see areas around start point A to the objective B, with everything else clouded out due to lack of intelligence. Or the map might be slightly inaccurate due to use of old data, collapsed corridors, etc. So you could allow for some premeditation, but also force the players to act spontaneously.

Comment

I've been thinking of a similiar idea for awhile.. Did anyone play Natural Selection (mod for Half-Life).

Anyway, in that the marines had a person that would sit in a command chair and would be able to give soldiers orders guard here, build/repair here, etc. Perhaps this could be slightly modified and used.

Instead of a guy in a command chair they could just have the leader be able to click on people then right click where they want them to go on the screen (from the leaders view not some map). So you could highlight both your autogunners and tell them to guard this hallway then click on the tech and tell him to build his sentry here. Then select the medic and tell him to follow whatever guy you click on, etc.

Makes being a leader mean more then just starting/restarting a game and adds in more strategy and tactics to the game. I think anything that makes teamwork alot easier should be in.

Note: I'm not talking about targetting a guy and actually moving him.. just you can target the guy and tell him you want him to move there. So if they don't wanna follow your orders they don't have to. It would just show a green circle to that person on where the leader wants him to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Metamorphosis
                I've been thinking of a similiar idea for awhile.. Did anyone play Natural Selection (mod for Half-Life).

Anyway, in that the marines had a person that would sit in a command chair and would be able to give soldiers orders guard here, build/repair here, etc. Perhaps this could be slightly modified and used.
                Right, i playd NS in few clans, but theres one problem... In public it was hell couse every one had difrent tactics, and in the end it was chaos. The game needed to have some authority, and in AS if you can get it, you dont actually need a commander

But, i still think its a good idea for those newbies to learn the maps from people who have playd more.

Comment

I don't think this could work without a commander style position.

If the team leader could give waypoint from his view range they would be pretty limited and a decent team wouldn't need them (they are already near the leader.)

The only way I could see of doing it is to give the leader a minimap he can pull up and plop waypoints on.

Comment

Once you've played the maps a few times you know exactly what to do.
                    And most are rather linear anyway, so planning would be kinda pointless.

Comment

Working...
                    X