An idea for parasites.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea for parasites.

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned something similar to this.

I think it would be a good idea if parasites, or maybe a new type of parasite, would over the person's body rather than killing them. That would only happen if they ran out of health of course. Then the body that was taken over by the parasite would attack his/her teammates. So then the team would be forced to attack their former teammate.

bad idea...
    if a fight goes real quick and parasites take over a flamethrower or shotgunner game is over all will die in 1 second...
    as it is now...buncha parasites come out of the parasited person when they die...it is dangerous enough trust me...

It has happened to me that I was forced to kill a parasited teammate because medic was dead and he would infect other people...
    It is a big enough sacrifice...

Comment

Yeah. Not to mention that losing control of your character in multiplayer would be incredibly annoying, ESPECIALLY as those who didn't know you'd been parasited (for whatever reason) would start yelling "STOP TEH TKING U MORON" and initiate a kickvote.
      Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Comment

I think variety might be fun. Why not have parasites that just make you explode for some explosive damage. Ala infested terrans. You'd still be in control and it would be up to you to either get away form your teammates or to scream for the medic.
        Last edited by Mek; 6 Jun 2004, 09:09 PM. Reason: +or
        Telic Corporation

Comment

Well I was thinking that after you kill the teammate who had been taken over, a bunch of parasites wouldn't leave their body. They'd just die as if you shot them normally. Also, if people know that there are parasites that can take over their teammates they won't yell at you if they get killed by whoever you were controlling before. Besides that, you'd know they had been taken over because their health would be completely gone from the status on the side of the screen.

Oh and perhaps to go along with it, friendly fire damage could be reduced a little or attacks from parasite controlled players could be less than that of normal players.
          Last edited by fett42; 6 Jun 2004, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Seems to me that the swarm doesn't know how to use projectile weapons(and a good thing too!) so why not have the parasited body only do melee attacks.
            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

bah does anyone else find it strange that a little tiny alien is 10 times as dangerous as a full grown drone? I guess size doesn't really matter heh

I think parasites are already harsh enough. If an infected marine dies next to you, you are pretty much dead meat already. The last thing we need is someone with a flame thrower being taken over by aliens.

Comment

That could work Salvage. They'd just be able to punch or kick or something like that, but it would work.

Bob, that's why I said they could have reduced damage or something. That way it wouldn't be as much damage as a normal flame thrower.

Comment

fett, except aliens like that didn't exist in the books/movies, and it seems as though they're trying to keep the whole thing pretty close to the source material =P

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                    bah does anyone else find it strange that a little tiny alien is 10 times as dangerous as a full grown drone?
                    Its the enemy that you don't see that is the most dangerous.

Originally posted by ragzilla
                    fett, except aliens like that didn't exist in the books/movies, and it seems as though they're trying to keep the whole thing pretty close to the source material =P
                    I'd have to agree with you Rag. The genre of marines vs. aliens doesn't really open itself up to being over complicated nor does it really need to be. AS is trying to capture the essence of the action and intensity which you would experience. And besides do we really need to have an alien that takes over out allies when we have enough trouble watching for friendly fire as it is. AI controlled uFF would be even more deadly.
                    Telic Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by Mek
                      Its the enemy that you don't see that is the most dangerous.

I'd have to agree with you Rag. The genre of marines vs. aliens doesn't really open itself up to being over complicated nor does it really need to be. AS is trying to capture the essence of the action and intensity which you would experience. And besides do we really need to have an alien that takes over out allies when we have enough trouble watching for friendly fire as it is. AI controlled uFF would be even more deadly.
                      Yeah, that hurts a lot too, but that together with their high speed and extreme damage at a touch makes the normal aliens a joke compared to them most of the time.

I disagree about marines vs. aliens being pretty clear cut. Aliens was one of the first movies that actually made the aliens primitive and organic. In most stories concerning aliens, the aliens are much more advanced technologically than in Aliens and personally, i have become tired of that so Aliens is a breath of fresh air. Something about marines with realistic (if a bit more advanced than modern) weapons fighting against an alien race that remembles some wierd sort of infect with a hive mind is just appealing to me.

Comment

It was just a thought... I thought it might be nice to add a fresh element to the game since there are only a few levels for it right now.

I guess the idea would be too much like the new Starship Troopers movie anyway. I had the idea for parasites that take over people before I saw the new movie though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob
                          bah does anyone else find it strange that a little tiny alien is 10 times as dangerous as a full grown drone? I guess size doesn't really matter heh
                          The facehuggers (and parasites) can really only kill one person each. Plus if people recognize the target is infested it can be dealt with. The drones have proves then can kill multiple people given the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob

I think parasites are already harsh enough. If an infected marine dies next to you, you are pretty much dead meat already. The last thing we need is someone with a flame thrower being taken over by aliens.
                            Just remember what killed the aliens in War of the Worlds after man failed with all his technology and weapons.
                            "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

I think it would be funny if a marine, killed by a parasite, wouldn't just spawn more parasites. Perhaps there could be a little "drone" like in the alien films - running away from you and hiding, while it's growing each second

Comment

Working...
                              X