Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First person Alien Swarm

Hi there,

I was wondering if you guys over at black cat had plans on making the Alien Swarm game into a First person shooting game/ Strategic..just like the game Natural selections... RTS/ FIRST PERSON shooter... amazing. with the Unreal 2k4 engine... you guys would make it amazing.

Erm... No.

Comment

It would be fun, but it wouldn't be alien swarm. Also, Black Cat already have plans for what to do after AS.

Comment

The OP reminds me of a guy who came into work today wanting a replacement battery...for his kinetic watch.

Hakujin

Comment

In theory, it sounds fun, but it probably wouldn't be. 90% of the game is based on your limited visibility, and how the aliens sometimes seem to come out of nowhere.

Also, your guns' range seems limited to just a bit outside your maximum sight. In first person, you could see the far off alien, but couldn't hit it till it got closer. It'd be really weird.

Comment

The levels right now are tweaked to look good top down. Even if you did have the game in first person you'd always have a big black ceiling lol.
            Telic Corporation

Comment

I don't think you necessarily would, actually. From what I read of the mapping-help documents, you simply have to have the ceiling XX or more high - higher than the camera which is XX off the ground.

That's to say, you'd see a ceiling that'd be higher than would be sensible if it were real. Like the architects were compensating for something.

Comment

Well Salsa - the look of a narrow place (perhaps 256 WU long), like a small corridor, with a ceiling placed at (at least) 606 WU looks a bit weird, doesn't it?
                I'd fire one of those architects :p

Comment

I think even if it were technically possible, an option to switch to first-person would be missing the point of AS somewhat...

I mean, if you want a mod 'just like' Natural Selection, then go play Natural Selection!

Comment

I've been wanting to explore some of the AO levels in first person, just to see what they looked like
                    The only way I can think of doing this would be to open the levels, delete all the AS stuff and save it as a DM.
                    But, as I don't know the editor that well, I don't want to put the effort into trying this method if it just plain won't work. Thoughts?
                    Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
                    Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
                    Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

i know how to help ya
                      if you open the map in unrealed you can "test" the map in first person
                      go nuts
                      the aliens wont move though...
                      The Greatest Scienentists Unravel Secrets Of The World Every Day.
                      They Think They Know Them All Until They Discover Another One...
                      The Secret Of The World???? They Don't Know....
                      I Do....
                      No I Won't Share

Comment

ahhh, gnarly. Thanks!

Edit: That didn't work. I get critical errors out the wazoo, and then if it does start, it's still overhead
                        Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
                        Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
                        Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

Working...
                        X