On Darkness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Darkness

One of the things that has always bugged me a bit about this mod is the overuse of darkness. Some areas are give you limited sight, but still give you decent sight. However others simply fill the area with darkness and I feel this detracts from the game. The overuse of it should be looked at in my opinion.

For example in Rescue the lights go out just before you rescue Williams. This is a good use of the blindness/pitch black because it is short, but gets the point across. However in salvage the entire mission is very low on light and save for a few points spotting aliens is difficult and seeing what is going on is hard. The result is this mission is played by memory. I go forward and begin firing into the darkness with an auto-gun because I know aliens are coming up, not because I saw them or received indication they were there. Additionally it just isn't fun when you can't see what is going on at all.

So there be given effective options to deal with the darkness (flares only work for small spots, not for entire maps) or the maps with a ton of darkness could be lightened up. Also every marine should emit a bit of light so you can always see your marine. This way in the darkness you have something to look at while fighting.

I know part of this game is aliens getting the drop on you, but as is the level of darkness hinders the game more than it helps. It isn't fun shooting by memory and letting auto-aim doing the work. It is fun spotting an alien and doing your best to take him out on time. I am not advocating the darkness be completely removed either. It should be just be eased up on some maps to the point where you can see things or be short specific areas.

open console, gamma 1.1 (slowly increase until you improve the in-game visibility to compensate for external sources destroying your ability to distinguish between dark shades, darn that big yellow blob in the sky).

Comment

i dont agree with this. the darkness is essential.

Comment

it's good to still keep it dark, but you miss out on a lot of the details in the textures if you keep it down too low, i usually move my gamme between 1.3 and 1.5 depending on how much ambient light there is, it's still plenty dark when it needs to be (case in point: AO-Rescue before rescuing williams) but when it's not meant to be dark/pitch black it's kind of nice being able to actually see the map, and the aliens coming at you from offscreen.

Comment

Omg, i keep my gamma at .5-.9 and i can see everything clear (my screen is dark too) and putting more gamma ruins the spirit imho. Whats the point of shadows if you can see the parasites there? :/

Comment

Most monitors show different levels of brightness, .9 for you may be 2.5 for somebody else. My TFT is rather bright and cheerful while my CRT is pitch black whilst playing.
            Important posts: Loadout screen:Scoreboard:Tutorial:Voicechat:Grenade aim:Upgrade points:Auto-reload
            - Kalias

Comment

As has been said before, and you are saying, it's no fun when you can't see anything. Set the gamma up to the level that's right for your monitor so that you can see everything clearly, but don't lose much atmosphere.

Actually, I could have gamma at 3 (1.25 is prime for me) but that wouldn't detract from THE ENDLESS SWARM ATTACKING ME.

Comment

There's dark and then there's *dark*. This game is sometimes ridiculously dark. Te aliens are black, the backgrounds are black, I only know somethings there when the blood starts spraying... I agree, it's TOO dark, and hence gamma tricks.
                "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

I dont want to sound like a wise ass or anything... but:
                  there are techs, who equip radars
                  there are light torches
                  there are flares (ok you gonna use them when you KNOW you'll need them, given their limited number)

Pumping up the gamma is really silly, as I see it, and even if Im favorable to a light torch range increase, I believe a team can do well just equipping a couple of them.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Roamcel
                    I dont want to sound like a wise ass or anything... but:
                    there are techs, who equip radars
                    MotionSensors... :p

But ppl don't hear the beeb sound that it makes during a firefight, or someone singing in the mic. Imho, stuff the gamma somewhere where the sun dosnt shine and boost the sound a bit to improve the game shadow+sound combination. Boosting gamma SHOULD stop after few times playing the map, play more to learn where the aliens spawn from couse some of us still love the style (AVP mostly) wich it makes...

Anyway, its hard for newplayers to learn the maps if its too dark, so place dificulty to (very) Easy and start learning the maps.

Sorry if this sounds like flaming, but its very hard at the beginning to see where the enemys are, but when you get use to the map and start hearing right things the game goes bit easyer and the shadows dont really bother at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sohtaraz
                      boost the sound
                      If you have the sound up you don't need light or the thermal scanner. You can hear the aliens coming well before you would even see them.
                      Telic Corporation

Comment

The BEEB sound the motionsensor makes...

Comment

Originally posted by Roamcel
                          Pumping up the gamma is really silly, as I see it, and even if Im favorable to a light torch range increase, I believe a team can do well just equipping a couple of them.
                          I agree, I haven't altered my gamma. If it's a dark game it's a dark game. Yes there are parts where I basically see pitch black, they are what I call the exciting parts. Here's a good example:

Originally posted by Quitch
                          Te aliens are black, the backgrounds are black, I only know somethings there when the blood starts spraying...
                          Now that is scary.

I can always tell when there's an alien because I hear that low gurgle-like growl they make. I can tell the direction (surround sound) and usually how many. After the patch I can hear the beeps as well. Maybe you all turned the sound effects down so you didn't have to hear the power core noise at the end of Onslaught.

Originally posted by Salsa
                          As has been said before, and you are saying, it's no fun when you can't see anything.
                          I know this has been said before too, but throw some flares out or send someone with a flashlight first.

Originally posted by Salsa
                          Set the gamma up to the level that's right for your monitor so that you can see everything clearly, but don't lose much atmosphere.
                          Yes, do this, but you should have done this when you first played UT2004, and it shouldn't need altering again for Alien Swarm.

Comment

Just look at how many people really crank up their gamma, much higher than it probably should be. This is my point. The darkness hurts the game so people get rid of it. So my options are crank up the gamma until the darkness is gone and the atmosphere is ruined or shoot by memory.

It will keep you on the your toes the first time things go black and you don't know where the aliens are. However after the first time you will be shooting by memory and it does detract from things. I don't think it should be entirely removed and this game turned into a clean well-lit place. I just needs to be eased up on a bit. So you can see details a bit.

Comment

I guess every monitor is different and some people just need to. I'm not bothered about changing your gamma so long as Black Cat don't change the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X