Camping the APC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping the APC

New here, so sorry if this has come up before. Having experienced this game online (supreme experience, blows SP away for sure) I have run into a rather cheesy way of winning that I'm sure is quite common.

In most missions you need to reach the APC/ship etc. to evac. In many cases this is at the start. Should this be a single mission or last of the campaign, all you need do is leave one guy behind. Yes, it's one less guy to fight the aliens, but which is easier, having one more guy to shoot aliens there and back, or skipping the entire alien swarm on the way back?

It feels... dirty, but it works, so it's used. Doesn't even matter whether I want to use it or not, it just takes one person on the server to do it. Fior obvious reasons this would be a crap mid-campaign, but for every other mode it's the de-facto tactic.

Any plans to do anything about this?
    "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

yeh i got an idea
    just make sure the alien spawners are hidden so it looks like they come from pipes or sumthing
    and make a hell lot of em so one guy wouldnt be able to survive...
    The Greatest Scienentists Unravel Secrets Of The World Every Day.
    They Think They Know Them All Until They Discover Another One...
    The Secret Of The World???? They Don't Know....
    I Do....
    No I Won't Share

Comment

Or just make it so that the whole team needs to get to a different pickup point (that's only accessible after completing their objectives, as in 'Barracks') rather than simply sending them back to the beginning...

Comment

He's not talking about making a map.
        He's asking whether the Dev Team will remedy the tactic in future versions.
        Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
        Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
        Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

Yes I take it he is talking about Observation - the last level - which means even in campaign you can camp the APC because only one marine needs to survive to finish. They designed this level to have an impossibly difficult swarm of aliens to survive on the way back and you will usually lose some people doing it, but it looks like they overlooked the fact that you can leave someone at the APC and the rest die.

Darkdibblez solution could work, anyone waiting needs to be overwhelmed.

Comment

You can always have all the aliens jump down from the walkway to the south and various other areas nearby. (Instead of using the AlienSpawners in the evac zone.)
            Important posts: Loadout screen:Scoreboard:Tutorial:Voicechat:Grenade aim:Upgrade points:Auto-reload
            - Kalias

Comment

They could make the level so that it needs all the surviving marines inside the compound before you can start the last hack. Perhaps that as well as an agressive alien spawning at the start would help. Lets say 20 big aliens for anyone that sits still in the spawn for more than 5 minutes
              Telic Corporation

Comment

But for that 1 guy staying behind, everyone else has to die (or escape, rendering the tactic redundant), right? A small price to pay on say, the last mission, but a large one when you have to revive everyone with crappy stats.

As for using it on the last mission, it depends on the circumstances. If after many tries you can't escape after hacking as a normal team (maybe you needed too many revives), then cheesing it up may be the only way.

Comment

The way I see it, leaving a Marine to guard the escape vehicle is a valid military tactic.
                  I don't see the problem.
                  Letting the entire rest of the team die just to win the last mission is not a "win", it's a pointless sacrifice.
                  In summary: Let every commander do his/her own tactic.
                  Demonen

use perl;

Comment

Maybe if you had to carry something back in your inventory to the APC, like a Data Disc with the hacked files in your extra slot. Then this tactic wouldn't work.

Comment

thinking of this tactic in a "semi-realistic" way, the APC is a valuable piece of hardware for the marines. Without it they'd have to leg it back to their drop zone, which looking on the map looks like a fair distance.

leaving one marine behind to guard the APC would make sense if the rest of the team had the firepower. It would only take one parasite to sneak on board and wreak havoc on the way back to base.

now, in the game, it makes no difference if a marine stays behind or not, since all the surviving marines need to make it back to the APC. if they choose to suicide, then thats their gameplay loss. if they honestly dont make it, then at least someone was alive to drive back to base and report back...

you shouldnt get too hung up about it. play the game the way you like.

Comment

Yeah, this seems fine to me, if all *surviving* marines have to make it back.

In fact, it's annoying in the first level. Too many people don't return the to the APC with the rest of the team, because they want to powerlevel.
                        Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Comment

I find it more annoying when people don't want to get alot of kills on the first map, especially on easy or normal.
                          "Small phones, short skirts and compact cars are all the rave these days; someday, the small penis will be in style and then YOU will be the man."

Comment

If the Data Disk had to be carried, rather than using a slot, you just carry it.
                            That way, on maps such as Observation, if the carrier dies another person can scoop up the disk mid-stride rather than careful manouver to the "drop <extra>" button in the middle of an escape.
                            Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
                            Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
                            Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

Originally posted by etchasketch
                              thinking of this tactic in a "semi-realistic" way, the APC is a valuable piece of hardware for the marines. Without it they'd have to leg it back to their drop zone, which looking on the map looks like a fair distance.

leaving one marine behind to guard the APC would make sense if the rest of the team had the firepower. It would only take one parasite to sneak on board and wreak havoc on the way back to base.

now, in the game, it makes no difference if a marine stays behind or not, since all the surviving marines need to make it back to the APC. if they choose to suicide, then thats their gameplay loss. if they honestly dont make it, then at least someone was alive to drive back to base and report back...

you shouldnt get too hung up about it. play the game the way you like.
                              ARGHHH!!! BUT I CAN'T! I might not WANT to use that tactic, but if I'm on a public server, WTF can I do about it? No, this isn't something the player can resolve, only the developers and map designers can.

As for this guarding the APC nonsense, that's guarding the escape route, and if the mission depended on people escaping, then that means they have something HQ needs... and I very much doubt that the guy who did nothing is holding it.

Observation just uses it as an excuse to have an exit battle, but players can entirely bypass this. Let's no equate it with realism, let's equate it with gameplay, and right now it's flawed.

What these escape missions really need is for the final hack to open a door with an object, and this object needs to be taken back to the APC. This FORCES the marines to actually escape and stops said cheesy tactic.

Not all servers do campaigns either, cheesy tactics are just as bad in single missions and the exploit in those circumstances should not be ignored.
                              "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

Working...
                              X