Chat Confusion - A noobs view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat Confusion - A noobs view

As a player who only started playing yesterday I'm doing a post frenzy. This tends to be the best time to point out problems with the mod as you come at it fresh and unbiased.

I had a hell of a time trying to work out who was having what problems. Someone would type "Help me" which you would then cross reference with the pictures in the top right where the marine name, rather than the nickname, dominates.

Frankly, I think all chat should use the marine names and handles should be restricted to displaying next to the marine and spectator chat. It would solve endless confusion... oh, and a name display to indicate who's currently talking to you would also be handy.
    "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

if you press N it should display the PlayerName in addition to the MarineName next to their character on screen.. which I find useful when trying to locate a particular player

Comment

I already have that, but:

a) marine names are larger

b) The marine names never change

c) Marine name always matches avatar (visual recognition is much easier)

Either marine names should be displayed in chat, or a players handle and not the name of the marine, should be the dominant text next to the pictures.
      "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

Marine name should be in chat, definately. I have the same problem sometimes.

What might also help would be a 'speech bubble' icon - like the "MEDIC!" one - which appears over the heads of marines who just spoke for a short duration. Should also apply to voice chat.
        Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Comment

an arrow pointing to where the guy who called for a medic is would be usefull...

Comment

Microphone speak is also in desperate need of some indication of who's speaking (like a name in red, a mic on the portrait or an icon on the left of your hud with a mic and their name).

Comment

Personally I'd like the chat to be color coded. Each marine would have his/her own color.
              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by Quitch
                Microphone speak is also in desperate need of some indication of who's speaking (like a name in red, a mic on the portrait or an icon on the left of your hud with a mic and their name).
                Yeah, a little speaker or microphone icon appearing on the portrait would be great! or even have a small icon appear above the player as well...

Comment

Originally posted by se5a
                  an arrow pointing to where the guy who called for a medic is would be usefull...
                  Useful, yes, but too simple. You're supposed to be moving as a team, generally, and if one guy gets lost and needs a medic? Well, he can find his own way back to the group.

Comment

I agree with Salsa - it's incredibly annoying when someone goes charging off on their own on a map like Research (where it's easy for a large team to get seperated). Then they get infested by a parasite they missed, start screaming for the team medic, and then blame them for not helping out when they die...

Comment

Perhaps if it was an arrow at the edge of the screen, in the right direction, if they're offscreen. (If they're onscreen, then there's already the red plus emoticon.)
                      Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Comment

Indication arrows are a bad idea. There's a good reason why only two team members have a scanner, you're not supposed to know about off-screen events. If they leave the medic then that's their stupid fault. Considering the number of heavies who consider themselves too good for the team, I think this is a good thing. Too often people go charging ahead then blame the team for falling behind. They deserve to die, it's their fault for moving ahead of the team.

Comment

How bout something like this that pops up over the head of whoever is speaking ala the emotes. Perhaps half the size of a normal emote though.
                          Telic Corporation

Comment

I'd rather it was on their portrait or in the chat window. Text chat tells you who it is, on-screen or no, therefore microphone chat should do the same.

I wouldn't mind seeing that icon appear at the bottom with the speakers name (AND their marine name). That would be useful.

Comment

I have only been playing this mod for a few days - and i love it!! but...
                              I think that a mic pop-up is a good idea, as is a speech bubble for chatters.

This would stop some chat confusion for marines on-screen, for others who are not, keep up!! Staying together as a team is a necessity for some missions.

[email protected]
                              [email protected]

Hudson: Hey, Vasquez... Have you ever been mistaken for a man?
                              Vasquez: No. Have you?

Comment

Working...
                              X