Even more comments !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even more comments !

First off, I really like the mod, brings the like of X-Com and LaserSquad to mind, both games I used to love. Also, I appreciate the interaction of the designers on the forum, seems to be building a decent community/fanbase around the game.

Anyway, enough arse licking. People have an awful lot of comments and opinions on how to improve the game, perhaps some sort of bug tracking like system could be put in place for people to stick in ideas of what to improve. Developers can look over the suggestions and either approve or disprove them. This would allow for people to easily search through previous suggestions to see if their idea has already been vetted.

And on a slightly more specific note, a suggestion which I've seen up before but didn't see any feedback on is formations. Formations would be handy ! Simply because I've found the gang can sometimes get stuck going through doors when they are on blind follow. If you are going mental trying to boot it to some place and you find you've left everyone behind because they are all fighting to get in a vent or whatever, it's slightly annoying. Having a column formation may sort this, or if formations are to be avoided, perhaps some sort of binary exponential backoff system used, like in ethernet collisions. If the gang get stuck going through a door, they both back off for a random time t and then attempt to go in. If they collide again, increase the time t. That's not particularly well explained, but I'm sure yee are probably familiar with the idea anyway.

The tutorial could also be slightly expanded to include all the weapons. Perhaps even just a room with all the weapons lying around, and a button to bring aliens out, so as to be able to test all weapons without having to reload the map each time.

Other than that, more campaigns ! hehe, thanks again though, game is great fun.

Verb

Originally posted by Verb
    People have an awful lot of comments and opinions on how to improve the game
    Heh. This is such often the case. Whenever a new game comes out (and especially mods), it is always followed by the wave of players that are suddenly transformed into great and talented game developers, eager to give their input.
    It's been this way for as long as I can remember.

I agree with some of your suggestions of course, but I have no delusion in thinking that I know more about this game than the devs. I'm sure they know what they want the game to become, the limitations of their talent, the functions of the game engine, as well as the all-powerful time constraints.

They're doing a great job, and it's sad to see so much negative criticism on this board. It would be nice to see posts like, "you know what would be cool if they did", instead of "you devs really need to fix this, or your game will suck".

This is not an attack towards you at all, Verb. Just giving my worthless internet opinion.

Comment

The lack of formations and advanced marine AI is a deliberate decision. There was a time when the ai had more co-ordinated firepower, it made things very simplistic, requiring little to no tactics.

I'll paste a reply from some earlier thread, too:

The single player plays slightly differently to multiplayer, with a greater emphasis on positioning of marines, rather than running around shooting. Instead of using follow (which is intentionally ineffective) try moving the marines into positions individually, setting up crossfires and covering each other, etc.

The follow command is just a convenience for moving through low-threat areas, quickly.
      Meow.

Comment

Originally posted by DusKer
        The single player plays slightly differently to multiplayer, with a greater emphasis on positioning of marines, rather than running around shooting. Instead of using follow (which is intentionally ineffective) try moving the marines into positions individually, setting up crossfires and covering each other, etc.

The follow command is just a convenience for moving through low-threat areas, quickly.
        i agree. it's called 'blind follow' for a good reason.
        in single player, i hardly ever actually fire a marines weapon myself.

Comment

Ah, thanks, that's interesting DusKer.
          Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Comment

Working...
          X