Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto-aiming. Please explain.

Hi friends.

I'm a little confused as to how the benefit of 'auto-aiming' works. And keep in mind I'm coming from a purely multiplayer mindset.

The weapons/equipment that I know give such an ability are the autogun, flashlights, and flares. But how exactly do the mechanics of this benefit work?

Let's say I'm controlling a special weapons marine, armed with the autogun. A bug comes around the corner. I place my crosshair over the bug as best I can, and hit the button. How does the autogun (with autoaim) differ from a normal rifle?
    Would my bullets hit if in fact my crosshair wasn't exactly over the bug? Do I still have to manually aim, but the bullets do more damage?

Same questions for if I had a normal rifle, and I was shooting at a bug that was walking within the radius of a flare.

If I were using more than one piece of equipment with assisted aiming, do the effects stack?

Thanks for help.

Would my bullets hit if in fact my crosshair wasn't exactly over the bug?
    Yes that is the case. When you see the red crosshair when shooting that is autoaim doing the work for you.

Comment

With autoaim on, you don't "need" to be directly over the alien and fire to hit it. It's "semi"-smart and as long as your marine is facing the alien and the cursor is in the general direction, you'd be able to hit it.
      The cursor becomes this red cursor to tell you that the gun has locked on. The tutorial has a portion which explains this iirc..

Having the cursor on the alien itself and killing it gains you "unassisted" kills.

The techmarine only rifle benefits from this autoaim as well as the above mentioned methods - flares etc.

-Aeawen

Comment

Well in your autogun example the gun has an angle that if your crosshair is in you will see the gun move to aim at an alien even if you aren't (this is how a lot of friendly fire happens because someone goes in front of an autogun). I don't think autoaim affects damage.

With flares it creates an area that if your crosshair is aiming at your rifle will lock on.

The autogun and flares won't stack since the flares affect rifles only.

Comment

aaah..I understand. Good explanations.

Originally posted by Carth
          The autogun and flares won't stack since the flares affect rifles only.
          Good to know.

Originally posted by Aeawen
          The techmarine only rifle benefits from this autoaim as well as the above mentioned methods - flares etc
          So is that to say putting a flashlight on a tech rifle is pointless?

Thanks.

Comment

The way I understand it is that:
            • Either the weapon has auto aim or it doesn't.
            • How much auto-aim is decided by the weapon type. Autogun vs. Rifle
            • Autogun has full auto-aim in whatever direction you are facing.
            • Tech Assault and Assault Rifle w/ Flash have an auto-aim arc to either side of your cursor of about 15-20آ°
            • The flashlight only gives the 22A3-1 Assault Rifle auto-aim.

As far as flares and the Tech P-rifle I'm not sure if it aims off flares or not.
            Telic Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by Mek
              The way I understand it is that:
              • Autogun has full auto-aim in whatever direction you are facing.
              As long as you aren't facing backwards of course. Autoaim won't turn you round.

Comment

Tech rifles gain no benefit from flares or flashlights.
                Autoguns will autoaim and instantly hit as long as a target is within a 90 front arc.
                Rifles, pistols and flamers have no autoaim at all.
                Flares and flashlights will cause Rifles (but nothing else) to autoaim at anything within the glow.

Pistols will never autoaim (Live with it)
                Flamers will never autoaim (not that you need it)
                Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
                Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
                Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

I am now fully enlightened. Much thanks.

Comment

actually, pistol autoaims within a flare radius
                    Meow.

Comment

Really? They don't seem to.
                      Maybe I need to use pistols more
                      Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
                      Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
                      Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

With pistol you don't tend to shoot when your teammates are shooting all around the place...getting pistols often means you are medic and you heal your allies in firefights...
                        pistol dmg is high so you dont want to team kill because the bullet is not instant...it takes a while to get there...
                        rifle/flares is good for checking the rear corridors and stuff so yeah It almost never happens that you have a pistol and will shoot when there is a need for flares...

and THANK GOD flame and shotgun dont have autoaim cuz their splash would OWN the allies nearby the targeted alien...

Comment

Working...
                        X