The flashlight petition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flashlight petition!

[EDIT] This has gone into more of a questions and answers post which is pretty nice if you ask me so read the replies!

First of all, this is in no way a petition to put pressure on Black Cat to change the flashlight but simply see how many people would like to see it changed and how many like it the way it is...I know this sounds weird but this is NOT a petition to put pressure on Black Cat!
    Replying to this thread does not mean you are insulting/criticizing Alien Swarm as a mod, it is only a place to give your opinion.
    I am curious about how many people like the flashlight as it is or would like to see it changed...
    I know there was another thread about this but it will be easier to compile opinions if you just say A or B.

You have 2 choices:

A) You would like the flashlight to remain as it is: It makes the textures white/grey where the flashlight points...You can see this clearly when you point flashlight at someone, he becomes grey/white.

B) You would like the flashlight to be a dynamic source of light that would actually lighten things up like flares do. Even if this means a bit more lag.

[EDIT] This has gone into more of a questions and answers post which is pretty nice if you ask me so read the replies!
    Last edited by Angel-of-sIX; 10 Jun 2004, 12:39 AM.

option b
    as long as the lag isn't huge

Comment

It seems like opinions are not allowed in this forum. I know that from experiance. the first time you say anything everyone takes it upon them selves to flame you.

Comment

never happened before...
        I guess I can make the difference between opinions and pure flaming...
        Here's my advice to you Dark: Go back to making your awesome award winning co-op mods and let the Alien Swarm community alone...

Comment

Why not use flares to light up dark areas if the flashlight isn't providing the light you'd like?
          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

The autoaim is the primary function of the flashlight, if it did get brighter it would still need to be significantly worse than a flare.
            Meow.

Comment

With a dynamic light you wouldn't get the cool focal rings texture, which is half their neatness imo. Just a cone or circle of regular light would be boring.
              Fuzzle was killed by Player.
              Player: is FF on?

Comment

Dark. Please stop.

Before I would choose either option I would like to know if the dynamic lighting is viable. By viable I mean not only is it possible but will it look good.

I will admit that the Dynamic light off the flash light would be very sexy as a toggled option perhaps. The ups and downs of it would be getting the light to look the same. Right now the flashlight looks just like the light you'd expect to see off a fairly high-powered portable light. Right now I'd have to say that the light "looks" perfect, as a projector the effect looks bang on. I don't think it would be possible to get that same feel with dynamic light alone.

Also, if you have a chance give this a try. Find a flashlight some where in your house, pop some batteries in and run around in the dark tonight. You will notice that flashlights don't really shed a whole lot of light. Flares on the other hand as illustrated by this dork provide quite a but of illumination.
                Telic Corporation

Comment

B would be nice for lighting up things and letting them retain their colour, unlike the projected texture which lights things up, but makes their colour all grey. Although I think B would look quite ugly - it would be a moving sphere of light that shines through walls.

Comment

Dalai, but isn't it possible to have a projector actually illuminate stuff? Doesn't the vehicle lights in ut2k4 do that?
                    Fuzzle was killed by Player.
                    Player: is FF on?

Comment

Possibly Fuzzle, yes... projectors can have lots of subtle effects depending on whether the texture is painted on a RGB128,128,128 background, a RGB0,0,0 background and which combination of MaterialBlendingOp and FrameBufferBlendingOp is used.

Maybe there's another combination that would give a better effect - I'm just using the exact settings from the Bulldog headlights from UT2k3.

If the current flashlight really bothers you, feel free to load up UEd and drop the AoShoulderLampProjector into a map and try out the different combinations, see if there's anything better.

On a related note, when I first put the flashlights into the game, I had them on every marine automatically, but the cumulative effect of all those projectors made everywhere a bright washed out white, so I removed them. They made a return late in development as an extra item (so you won't see full squads of projectors blending together harshly) with the autoaim effect.

Comment

If you make flashlight dynamic light will it necessarely go through walls?

Isn't there a way to make the flashlight like it is now but instead of putting stuff white/grey just making the textures the same with like higher brightness so the colors remain?

I have high-powered flashlights at home and they do light up a LOT more than the flashlight in the game, that is my main concern...The current flashlight is basically only for autoaim...When I go into a very dark room like in AO-Rescue and I have a flashlight, I would like to actually SEE something...My guess is only way to actually see is to make it dynamic lightning, which is what makes me tend to want option B.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel-of-sIX
                          I have high-powered flashlights at home and they do light up a LOT more than the flashlight in the game, that is my main concern...The current flashlight is basically only for autoaim...When I go into a very dark room like in AO-Rescue and I have a flashlight, I would like to actually SEE something...My guess is only way to actually see is to make it dynamic lightning, which is what makes me tend to want option B.
                          Flashlights lilluminate objects directly in their beam, this is called direct light. Alien Swarm's flashlight models this by using a projected texture. In reality, though, a flashlights provide considerably more than direct light -- light is reflected and scattered around, creating a diffuse light in the general area. It provides a little bit of illumination of stuff in the area that's not directly in the beam from the flashlight. I think the lack of this is what you're complaining about.

The lighting model in the current Unreal engine is fairly simple -- it has no way to directly model diffuse light like this.

If you make flashlight dynamic light will it necessarely go through walls?
                          Yes. The dynamic lighting in the current Unreal engine sucks.

Isn't there a way to make the flashlight like it is now but instead of putting stuff white/grey just making the textures the same with like higher brightness so the colors remain?
                          There might be a way to make it less pronounced, and also to fake a diffuse light, by adjusting the projected texture and its properties. If Dalai thinks this is a worthwhile endeavor, I'll take a look at it.
                          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I wanna know how SC: Pandora Tomorrow's flashlight was made, it looks, and works, very well. Probably took alot of coding though, maybe even modifying the engine itself.

Comment

I like the way the existing flashlight works, but it could use a better texture. I would suggest smoothing it out a bit, especially along the edges. The caustics look nice and all, but they interfere with visibility. Just a little smoothing will go a long way.

Comment

Working...
                              X