Skinnying down the UT2K4 install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinnying down the UT2K4 install

Well I guess this mod competion is having its desired effect, since I went to the store and bought UT2K4 specifically to play AS!

However I was quite impressed with the install size of UT2K4, 5GB!!
    I was able to copy off some work to another computer to get the behomoth to install, however I would really like some of my HD space back.
    Can anybody tell me what content I can delete from UT2K4 and AS still work? I'd sure like to delete the core texture and map dirs

Thanks for any help!

p.s. Please don't just tell me to get a bigger HD

AS (And other mods) are using some textures and sounds from UT2k4, so you can't just delete all those.
    The only stuff you can safely delete is the maps, save for "Entry.ut2" and "nvidialogo.ut2"
    That should still give you 1.5gb.

Comment

You *might* be able to get away with deleting all of the UT2004 Map files, since technically they'll never load if you don't play UT2004. I say *might* because I have no idea if it'll work or not, so move the files off the directory and test the program before you make any final deletion. That's about all you can do, since AS shares texture, music, sound, and mesh resources with the original game. You'll save about 1GB, but for what it's worth, keep those files... you'll never know if you have a sudden urge to try something different.

Comment

If you have Windows XP or 2000, and you're using NTFS (and you should be), you can go into the properties of the "Maps" folder and choose to compress it. It will take a fair while (expect something in the range of up to half an hour), but the compression is completely transparent - if you choose to play regular UT2K4, it will be able to decompress the maps on the fly.

I'm not sure how much space this will save - it depends on how compressed UT2 map files are already. Don't expect to save more than a few hundred meg.

Oh, and good news! The next generation UT engine (the one shown at E3) is expected to "greatly increase" the install size yet again. Sure Epic don't have some kind of unholy pact with Western Digital? :p
        Hey, what's that white dot on the circle-thingy meaGARRRGH!!!

Comment

Working...
        X