Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some new ideas thread.. again. Try not to stab urself as you click...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some new ideas thread.. again. Try not to stab urself as you click...

After thinking about it for a long time, and knowing about the grittyness and such of the game. I really want to make a N00b gun.

The N00b gun:
    It does not do any friendly fire damage. Instead of damage. A message and sound plays

The message reads:

N00b <name> did XX% damage to <hit player>...

I'm not sure how usefull this gun would be or how hard ot make. But I'm learning tutorials atm to see if I can make this gun a reality lol.

The damage is the same as the normal assualt rifle. And there is the prototype version. Same damage scale. Just that one peice is modified. I think its a good way to keep the friendly fire down if the n00bs are trying to learn what the heck they are doing. Maybe instead of guns it could be a mutator or a checkmark or something. Call it Training Mode or something. Who knows I thought it would be funny.

Night-Vision - turns everything green and has a heat sensor. Maybe can be a mode to get. Press B and the mode changes on/off.

Just an idea... I really want to learn how to model and make weapons. and I figure this would be a somewhat easy task. Just changing the property of a weapon. But I'm not sure how the messaging will work or how hard that is.
    "A True Hero isn't measured by the size of his sword but by the Size of his Heart" - Life Motto

"I'm not a TKer. I'm just an alien in desguise" - AS Motto

Happy Webmaster of The Final Quandary

Heh, the n00b gun.

To keep it in context and make it useful, the "training assult rifle" should do no damage to any target (alien or otherwise). However, it does keep track of all hits and friendly hits and display them at the end of a mission. Once a newbie is able to achieve certain hit to friendly hit ratio, the game unlocks the real guns for him/her to use in multiplayer.

However, when the game is on easy, I'd just make the newbies carry a rifle, period. They're still helpful without being lethal on your teammates, unless you hold down the button while you consciously know you're hitting a teammate - in which case that person should be kick banned immediately.

Comment

Heh. This will never get official, but would be a fun lil' mutator.

As for having to reach a certain hit/teamhit ratio before given a real gun... It's never a good idea to officially (or unofficially, or whatever) limit the newbies somehow. (Just look at DeathBall)

Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

I like the idea...any chance you could do a flamer version as well, cos I'm damn sure people need training on that
        I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

Why not just have the hit statistics all the time. It would make interesting reads at the end of each mission to see who has done the most friendly fire.

Comment

I think the n00b gun should fire little children.
            DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNN.....

BA you're my hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator
              Why not just have the hit statistics all the time. It would make interesting reads at the end of each mission to see who has done the most friendly fire.
              We've already got that, it's a little piece of red writing that says 'TEAMKILLER' over their portrait
              I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

Originally posted by Piroko
                We've already got that, it's a little piece of red writing that says 'TEAMKILLER' over their portrait
                Yeah, I know of the teamkiller text. What I meant was a more extensive statistics than just kills. Things like accuracy (% shots that actually hit something), total damage dealt, friendly fire dealt, ect.

Comment

A good way to have newbs learn would have an option that alters team damage. Instead of hurting the person shot it hurts the shooter and gives them a message letting them know why they are taking damage. Only available on easy and normal modes (well maybe normal).

Comment

Originally posted by Retaliator
                    Yeah, then you can see which marine is stopping you from getting that Perfect award every game

Comment

Originally posted by Warskull
                      A good way to have newbs learn would have an option that alters team damage. Instead of hurting the person shot it hurts the shooter and gives them a message letting them know why they are taking damage. Only available on easy and normal modes (well maybe normal).
                      I've seen this done before, but the problem is accidental FF. Even with the best killteam, lag and pressure can cause some friendly fire, and it doesn't seem fair that people are punished for genuine accidents, as opposed to teamkillers getting minced by their own stupidity.
                      IMO, there's no real way to prevent TK'ers, only to get rid of them after they've done the damage. Any kind of voting system is negated by the Tk'er themself (or is too slow to take action before the damage is done) and anything like the above is prone to falling apart if a genuine mistake is made.

Comment

It's called mirror damage and was available in many first person shooters... (like tactical ops) - i don't really like it... Like in tactical ops, you're telling your team to stay behind and then you're throwing a grenade... some noobs run towards it and "boom" - you were killed by yourself. *sigh*

And in Alienswarm: you want to hold of a big amount of aliens with the flamethrower: a newbie comes along, runs in front of you and you get toasted by yourself... a bit odd, isn't it?

Comment

Hence why it would be an option. Since it would only be available on Easy/Normal (maybe) the damage they take for accidental shots would be minimal unless they nailed the other player with the flamethrower/assualt shotgun. It would basically be a way to make newer players more aware of where they are shooting. Should they accidentally hit a teammate they take damage, but lets face it a lot of newb players do some horrible accidental TKs. This would be a negative reinforcement method of teaching them to be careful with certain weapons. The damage can even be split 50/50 between the shooter and the target (probably the best way to do it) so the accidental shooter is less likely to be killed, but it still hurt and made aware of their mistake. The problem why a lot of newer players don't learn is that they TK, but it they don't see it hurts them. Unless they are kicked by the other players (doesn't happen when a lot of newbs are together) the consequences of hurting your teammates are next none. The teammate dies, but they don't care. They just say oops sorry and continue using the shotgun carelessly.

There are multiple kinds of TKs. First there are malicous TKs where the player intentionally kills his teammates. Second there are TKs due to carelessness. A player takes a flamer or shotgun and fires with no regard for his teammates. He didn't mean to kill them, but they end up dead quite often. Third there are TKs that happen when one marine is trying to shoot an alien off another marine. These are tricky to do well without knicking your ally. Fourth there are random accidents like you TKing a player off your screen or a random bad shot.

Three and four are rought to avoid, even the best make mistakes. However the second kind can be unnervingly common to the point where I have seen players pre-emptively TK careless players to protect themselves. This acts are more of a way to give careless players that extra nudge of don't shoot your teammates by hurting or killing them. It is harsh on them, but "Teamkiller" just doesn't do enough to get them to get them to be aware of their actions. It is an optional learning mechanism.

Comment

If you mold this and the freeze gun idea together, you basically get the idea I posted in my thread:

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                            Pulserifle NToxin ammunition:

Straight from SynAps R&D labs comes this pack of modified pulserifle clips.
                            The shells themselves are filled with small canisters of a bioagent toxin that attacks the nervesystem of all swarm creatures. The toxin is designed to do minimal damage against human targets, so friendly fire is not an issue.
                            Converts a rifle to a NToxin rifle, even if it's carried as secondary. You can only pick this ammunitionpack if you have a standard rifle on you.

- Slightly less damage than standard rifle shot.
                            - Slows down any target you hit by 50% for a second.
                            - No friendly fire.

Comment

I decompiled AS and tried to see if I can edit for the n00b gun. I made the the actual AoGUI file but I really can't find where FF is put in. Afrer looking at it all... My...Head...hurts.... Oww....
                              "A True Hero isn't measured by the size of his sword but by the Size of his Heart" - Life Motto

"I'm not a TKer. I'm just an alien in desguise" - AS Motto

Happy Webmaster of The Final Quandary

Comment

Working...
                              X