Suggestion: Greater Admin Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: Greater Admin Control

One issue with alien swarm is that once the players are on the server they can set it up anyway they like. For example someone can get put as team leader after a level and take the difficulty down from hard to easy. Since newbies don't use the vote function ever and refuse to vote on anything there is little that can be done.

Give server admins the ability to disable certain things when they set up their server. Such as making certain difficulty levels off limits, making certain maps off limits, altering the kick threshold ect. This can help alleviate the problem of all servers going to easy too. Because when someone sets up a server to be campaign only, single mission only, or only a certain difficulty level it can stay that way.

On another note the vote system may need to be changed. I have yet to see it resolve a single issue, most players simply refuse to vote on anything. You could go into most servers and intentionally TK and still not get kicked.

what i see is, when theres a vote, everyone just press yes regardless of what it says....at least some of the games that i've been to..
    Tip 1: use sentry as a stair case
    Tip 2: walk on active mines so when alien gets near you, they burn

Comment

I agree that the vote system is flawed but it still is usefull. If a noobie does become leader we just vote on a new leader and it usually works. Today a few lamers were booted aswell by using the vote system. So all in all it does work a bit, but definetly could use some revision.
      http://www.swattclan.com/dome/uploads/cancan.jpg

Comment

Angel-of-sIX's clan server was invaded by n00bs with fast connections who were always leader and kept setting it down to easy. We were trying to do it on insane/hard.

And Pratiz is right, usually people vote yes like crazy. Someone asked for a new campaign so Sohtaraz started a vote to change map to Observation and loads of people went yes, yes, yes Read what the vote is for

Comment

i'd say, when there is a vote, at least make those text a new color and bigger. so people know its not regular message like "MEDIC!!!"

Comment

I still can't believe they were dumb enough to refuse to kick someone who was blatently chasing everyone around the map with a flamethrower.

Comment

see there is a problem with noobs not knowing who tked their ass, or maybe they have the player name displayed OFF. or they just can't read... :S

Comment

I think even they knew who it was, it was pretty obvious where the flames were coming from. One of them eventually TKed him too, but wouldn't vote to kick him.

Comment

if he press "no" then thats another story, problem is, Sometimes, they wont vote at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Warskull
                    I still can't believe they were dumb enough to refuse to kick someone who was blatently chasing everyone around the map with a flamethrower.
                    I loved his excuses:

n00b: Sorry about tk
                    Carth: You ran after me trying to flame me
                    n00b: I got scared

then I asked him why he killed Wolfe...

n00b: I like making Wolfe's ammo bag explode

But still people wouldn't kick vote him. He set the entire team on fire twice

Comment

well, obviousely, theres a simpler solution, its called exit that server and find another one, or simply play another game for a while, or for me, i go sleep after yelling at noobs who makes same mistakes for 40 min straight.

Comment

Yeah I'm gonna start giving people I trust admin status on my server so these things dont happen again...
                        I already started giving private slots password to the pretty good teamworking players that play with us frequently so...
                        If noobs have fun exploding our ammo bags while we try to do a campaign they will get the kickban.

I think administrators should automaticly be set leaders and you can not vote them off leader, this way newbies cant just change difficulty and such...

Comment

For future reference Angel, his name was "Harrower"

Comment

I got tired of clueless n00bs flaming/shotgunning me on my server, so I wrote a little server addon that asks people a question when they join (like, "How many pistol kills are needed for the gunfighter award?"). If they don't answer or get it wrong, it boots'em. Looking through the logs, about half the people that try and join get weeded out. It's not a perfect solution, but it seems to help a little bit.

I'd be glad to share if anyone's interested.

-Lorn

shameless server plug:
                            Awesome P&B's --Experts Only-- AS v1.1
                            64.62.138.222:7777

Comment

Originally posted by Lornath
                              I got tired of clueless n00bs flaming/shotgunning me on my server, so I wrote a little server addon that asks people a question when they join (like, "How many pistol kills are needed for the gunfighter award?"). If they don't answer or get it wrong, it boots'em. Looking through the logs, about half the people that try and join get weeded out. It's not a perfect solution, but it seems to help a little bit.

I'd be glad to share if anyone's interested.
                              Sounds like a good idea to me. I was playing on a server earlier where the guy hadn't even done the tutorial, the first time he played the game was online. Oh the teamkilling

I saw someone else asking "What colour is rifle ammo, if you don't know you get kicked" when we were trying to do insane mode, a similar idea to yours.

Comment

Working...
                              X