Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaign questions

Random Question of the Day!
    Is it possible to have a campaign mission unlocked if you fail the previous mission? I know that one of the current AS maps (AO-Observation?) isn't in the usual scheme of play unless you do something specific in the previous mission. Can this apply to mission failure too? Not getting wiped out on a mission, but failing crucial mission objectives.
    Example: If Williams is somehow killed by the bugs in AO-Rescue (I know he can't, I'm just hypothesizing, before the trolls arrive), suppose you have to go into the next missions blind, because he wasn't alive to give you any data on the mission targets...Or maybe you have to complete an additional mission to raid the colony databanks to obtain said information.
    Example 2: You kill all the eggs on ReactorCore, but fail to hit one of the valves before you retreat (I've done this before, shame on me). You escape in the dropship, but as a result, the doors and lights in the next missions aren't working so you need to bring more flares and possibly a welder. Or maybe Williams directs you to a backup generator on Rescue, so you can power up the colony again.
    Probably a nightmare of coding, but a branching mission structure could add to the current storyline and possibly reduce the 'Fail-Restart' mentality. I.E. 'Ok Guys, we didn't get all the eggs last time around, so be sure to pack an ammo bag or sentry, because of all the extra bugs in the next mission' rather than 'Ok Guys, we missed one egg and in our search for it, we all got wasted. Lets redo every part of the otherwise perfect game we were having and keep our eyes open, ne?'
    I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Last edited by sin; 14 Jun 2004, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sin
      1) Williams CAN die, just takes a whole lotta damage to do it, and the mission is uncompleteable if he does. Have to replay it untill he survives. (Almost impossible for this to happen on easy/normal, but have seen it on hard/insane; he got surrounded by 5 aliens and ran outta ammo, died within 10 secs)
      Just let him drop under the elevator...

Comment

OK, maybe I wasn't clear in my questioning, so I'll try again:
        Is it possible to code a mission unlocking even if you fail the previous missions? Refer to examples above and this one.
        Say I make a campaign, All shiny and original. Mission A involves fighting off a horde of aliens attacking my ship. If I succeed in Mission A, I carry on to Mission B, where my ship and I reach our destination and more bad stuff happens. If I fail mission A by failing to complete a mission objective (rather than being wiped out), I do not have to retry the mission, but I am sent to Mission C instead, where I eject from the ship and have to make my way to the destination on foot, possibly through hordes of bugs.
        If you still don't get it, actually read my original post, rather than skimming it and answering with posts unrelated to my questions.
        I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

Ahhh, yes it is now more understandable to the simple minded, like myself, what you are asking.

Outta my league here, wish I could help you, but still can't make a map myself

*removes old post*

Comment

Just a bump, APologies if I'm not allowed to bump

Comment

Working...
            X