This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF needs to be turned off...

I was playing this game on LAN yesterday with a few people and one of the main problems was FF. At first we would do more damage to eachother from crossfire, but then later we would get demolished by bugs because we were afraid to shoot.

Is a small serverside patch or something in the works to adress this problem? FF really takes away from the fun.
    Last edited by beef1187; 15 Jun 2004, 01:54 PM.

I'm sure it will be said a few times here, because it's been said a million times already:

FF is vital to the game. It necessitates squad based tactics, i.e. awareness of teammates, proper firing and movement positions, and good fire control. Taking out friendly fire removes all of those, and they're lynchpins of the game.

Comment

Just play on insane and then the aliens will do more damage than you can.
      Telic Corporation

Comment

get rid of the aliens too, i mean who needs them. :/

Comment

WTF?? THIS GAME HAS NO SOJ? ONONONONO ARE U DEVOLOPER MAD OR SUMTHING? HER IN JAPAN ALL GAMES HAVE SOJ. DIABOLO2 HAVE SOJ STARCRAFT HAVE SOJ MMOPG HAVES SOJ, WE FEED OUR BABY SOJ. THIS GAME DEFINANTLY NEEDS SOJ OK?

Comment

FF is what makes the game interesting.

Plus, if you're playing on a LAN, you have little excuse for FF problems.
            TCO – Retired
            Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

Why not have the option though? It would still be very team based but you wouldn't have to worry about killing a teammate. Why not have the option of turning it off? If you want to play with FF on then fine go for it, but I would rather play with it off.

Comment

Originally posted by beef1187
                Why not have the option though? It would still be very team based but you wouldn't have to worry about killing a teammate. Why not have the option of turning it off? If you want to play with FF on then fine go for it, but I would rather play with it off.
                Why don't you play the game a couple more days and come back after that? FF is an integral part of AS. If you take that away, it's no longer AS.

Play a couple of days more and you'll see that there's no need for a FF-off option.

Comment

no

it has not to be turned off!

but what would be nice is a server-selection-option where you may be able to choose btw. 100%-0% FF.

greeds bn.One

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                    WTF?? THIS GAME HAS NO SOJ? ONONONONO ARE U DEVOLOPER MAD OR SUMTHING? HER IN JAPAN ALL GAMES HAVE SOJ. DIABOLO2 HAVE SOJ STARCRAFT HAVE SOJ MMOPG HAVES SOJ, WE FEED OUR BABY SOJ. THIS GAME DEFINANTLY NEEDS SOJ OK?
                    whats soj????

seems not to be very important

Comment

Originally posted by beef1187
                      Mmkay, well lemme give you some reasons.

First off, in the interest of gameplay, as Nachimir said, turning off FF really does make the game a lot more dull. But also certain features are tied to FF.

The ammo bag for instance; if a stray bullet or a flame strikes the person carrying this, it could explode, which can wipe out everybody in a large radius around the carrier. Usually not a good thing, but good for atmosphere. The same thing with the flamer; shoot the tank, and the bugs are throwing a Bar-B-Q.

Perhaps most integral to gameplay is the parasite: if you let this nasty bugger touch you, you become "infested". When this happens, you will eventually die, and release MORE parasites which in turn can infest the rest of your team. There are two ways to handle an infested player to prevent them from releasing parasites: either the medic must heal them several times to "cure" the infestation (not an option if medic is dead or out of heals), or you have to kill the infested player. Turning off FF removes the latter choice, of course...

The flamer is a big part of FF; turn off FF, and the flamer could be used with near impunity. I would imagine it would be pretty dull after a while; you should have only the most responsible and best fire-control person wield the flamer.

All said and done, infestation is the primary reason to leave FF on; otherwise, first infestation, you might as well call it quits. But if you turned it off, a hella bunch of features that come into play are removed and it's just like Serious Sam Lite in 2110.
                      TCO – Retired
                      Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

For someone who doesn't have a few days to play and get good it could be a problem. Plus we only LAN like once a week and there are other games to play, it would be nice to just be able to pick the game up and squash some bugs without having to develop skill and restart over and over. I think that you should have the option to turn it off, or down(like bn.One said).

Maybe it can be set that once someone is infested they can be killed by teammates.

Thanks for making that second round of replies not so full of smart ass comments.

Comment

actually, you CAN turn FF damage up or down, its the lvl diffculty setting.
                          you see if u shoot a pistol bullet at same person on different setting, it do different damage!!! wow!!

but then again, i am assuming u and your friends are playing on easy or normal mode, and i doubt u'd go anywhere higher than that. so.. i dont think u'd notice any difference

*me* frag beef w/ my P-Rifle, i love FF on hehehe
                          Tip 1: use sentry as a stair case
                          Tip 2: walk on active mines so when alien gets near you, they burn

Comment

Thats the kind of smart ass reply I was talking about.

Yes, we do play it on normal mode, and yes you probobally would kill me [in this game] because I suck.

Comment

look, the only reason the other players ask you to give it another couple of days or so, so that u can imporve your skills, FF is there to improve your team tactics, not some guy go rambo all over the map, think logically, what will happen if FF is off? well, for 1 thing, a lot player will bring different weapons in their inventory, i mean who need a Regular rifle, when theres flamethrower and assult shotgun? lol hey, u dont have to worry about FF!! so flame on!! if FF is OFF then, it'll take the whole point of this mod.
                              Tip 1: use sentry as a stair case
                              Tip 2: walk on active mines so when alien gets near you, they burn

Comment

Working...
                              X