New Feature: Weapon Mods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Feature: Weapon Mods.

Today after playing some Alien Swarm I was thinking that being able to mod certain guns would add alot of fun to it, or at least I think so.

Example: you have a few add-ons for each gun.

1. flashlight when equipped on the gun its only on when that gun is used.
    2. magazine extention, use this mod and the rifle holds 140 rounds instead of 95. Autogun bunped up to 300-325 range. Auto shotty up to 20, regular shotgun up to 5, and flamer up to 95 like it was before.
    3. maybe having different kinds of ammo to use with guns. For the shotgun you could have explosive tipped slugs, when they impact with alien they would explode and get a few more aliens with one shot. This would be perfect for the hive on Observation.

A little more customization for each player and some new features added to Alien Swarm.

Whats everyones take on this, no good, not really needed, or could be a good idea?
    "Small phones, short skirts and compact cars are all the rave these days; someday, the small penis will be in style and then YOU will be the man."

I'd like to see a reworking of the inventory system, actually; somewhat along the lines of what you suggest, perhaps simply relaxing restrictions on the 2primary/1extra thing...

Comment

Originally posted by [theDAN]
      ....perhaps simply relaxing restrictions on the 2primary/1extra thing...

What exactly do you mean by this?
      "Small phones, short skirts and compact cars are all the rave these days; someday, the small penis will be in style and then YOU will be the man."

Comment

I mean its good to have an inventory system, but people don't always want 2 big things and 1 little thing. Sometimes it'd be nice, particularly during a mission, when medipacks run out and sentries get deployed, to carry a personal medkit, AND a welder AND a rifle, whereas now such things aren't possible. Simply letting each primary slot be used by secondaries would be okay.

But really it brings up all kinds of issues with the loadouts, and suggests a more complex system that might detract from the charm of the game. I'm a fan of custom loadouts, but poor n00bs wouldn't like it

Comment

The 2 primary + 1 extra thing is just fine - Usually, I won't pull out the second gun even if I have it, anyway. Weapon mod is a good idea, although it'll make the extra slot (assuming that the mod goes to the extra slot) even more cluttered than right now. The best way around it is simply have modded weapon placed strategically in levels, and once someone pick it up it will become available for selection (limited by the amount you've found, of course, unlike the stock weaponary).

Comment

I don't follow you; you never use the second weapon, but you wouldn't rather use that slot for something useful like medpack, flares, mines, what have you? I never leave slots empty, and always wish I could use more than just another gun.

Comment

I use a weapon, extra ammo, and a welder or personal health.

but I see your point. use the secondary slot as an extra slot. after all, extra items are smaller than secondary slot items, so why wouldn't they be able to fit in there? hmm... but do you want a guy walking around with 9 stims and no weapons?

Comment

Let's seperate the issues:

Allowing extras to fit the secondary spot might break the balance a bit, since now you can bring massive amounts of flares/mines/stims into a mission.

How well the weapon mod works depend on how the weapon is modded. I'd say that if a mod occupies the "extra item" slot, then it'd probably clutter up the extra slot more than it already is. If it takes the secondary slot, then it might be more balanced... but it might be weighted down considerably compared to bringing an exta gun/ammo bag/turret.

Comment

I'd like at least one 'mod' for each weapon. You could earn them like you earn akimbo pistols after x number of kills in a mission with that gun.
                  Assault rifle = either a flare launcher or laser pointer built in (both autoaim)
                  assault shotgun = choice between explosive slug or buckshot (cone vs small area damage)
                  shotgun = magazine extention(+3) or auto pump mechanism (faster fire or longer mag)
                  flamethrower = high pressure spray or higher power fuel (more damage or more range)
                  autogun = quick load apparatus or fragmenting bullets (small shotgunlike bullet but weaker or a quicker reload)
                  p-rifle = stun grenades or diagnostics system (current stun nade or built in hack device for double hack speed)
                  pistol = akimbo or laser sighted (autoaim or double fire rate)

just some ideas. i dont think the extras slot should be for holding weapon improvements, it should be for stuff like med packs and stims and mines and so on.
                  The way you do it is you add a slot to each weapon so you can add a customization to it rather then fit it into a current slot. there is a point that it may overpower some weapons (like an autogun firing autoaiming shotgun pellets might be too powerful to allow to carry a stim and an ammo pack) but the way you balance this is by making them earn them. say you have to get 100 kills with it in a mission to earn an autogun mod, maybe 60 for an assault rifle and 50 for an assault shotgun and so on.

Comment

or we could add secondary attacks to every weapon like flamethrower could have a shot of gasoline and you spray it all over then you shoot a single flame and it all catches on fire.

Autogun could have some kind of slower shoot rate or soemthing.

Shotgun could have slugs

I dono just a few...

Comment

hmm what if they added a weapon mod screen, hey your supose to be a crack team of soldiers, well this "crack" team would be able to make modifications to their weapons. ie. laser sights , nade launchers,lights, different sights.. ect
                      hell if im gonna put my life on the line i want to do it carrying a weapon i made a weapon i trust.
                      and for the n00b in all of us you could leave the weapon alone just using a standard config

this could be intresting to try out...
                      An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and and guarded

Comment

How about an entire modular based weapons system?
                        The way I imagine it, you have 2 attachment hardpoints on each weapon, and 3 different types of add-on
                        Example: Rifle. Just the standard rifle, minus the grenade launcher, counts as your standard weapon. You can then customise it thus-
                        Weapon Attachments: Grenade Launcher, stun grenade launcher, Flare Launcher.
                        Sighting attachments: Flashlight, Tech-Scanner.
                        Other options: Explosive ammuntion, Extended clip, Hybrid weapon (the rifle is essentially two weapons in one, allowing another firemode from a different weapon to be used (shotgun blast, 2 second flamer burst etc)
                        So in theory, to get the P-Rifle you take the Stun Grenade and Tech Scanner upgrades. Or you could take a hybrid weapon and an extended clip for support roles.
                        I'd think of more, but I'm tired and confused...any comments?
                        I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

Piroko, you hit it right in the nose, but only having one modded weapon at one time for balancing.

Comment

Ah, naturally...don't think wielding a Autogun firing napalm grenades would be helpful
                            Maybe to help the balance, you can either take one modded weapon with 2-3 attachments, or just your standard 2 weapons/1 weapon and sentry/ammobag/medsatchel. That way, you can either have a standard loadout, or go uber and have one large funky WMD to show the bugs
                            I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

Originally posted by Infinity
                              I use a weapon, extra ammo, and a welder or personal health.
                              you cannot play alone ...
                              thats a team game dude and i think, that its important to have different types of characters

a problem is the FF from noObs :-( the "i started today-guys"
                              but FF it is needed in this game! and now, when used to FF it happens only few times when some guy - like described above - runs without thinking in front of some autogun-user killing 10 bugs

what i would like, is some kind of personal weapon - like in the RPG mod from UT. Weapons that are kinda special - like more ammo than normal or higher amount of fire ...
                              or even unique items - more health, more speed ...

Comment

Working...
                              X