More communication options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More communication options?

How about some More Team communication options outside of needing ammo and Medic.

Perhaps we could have double tiered Commands that you canactivate by using two keys to scroll through two sets of voice commands. the sets would form a sentence With a Subject and a Verb. you could mix and match the two variables (Subject , and Verb) to get Very useful quick Custom messages.

Implementation of this would be as follows. Say I have my Speech keys set to z and x, tapping z cycles through Subjects and tapping x cycles through Verbs. tapping v and b do the same thing except allow you to cycle backwards. this way you could quickly combine parts of speech and make messages like.
    "Crash|Hack"
    or
    "Wildcat|Take Point!"
    or
    "Anyone|set a Turret Here"
    or
    "Nobody|Kill the Eggs"
    or
    "I will|Hack"
    or
    "Everyone|RETREAT"

OR a wide range of other combinations. This way you can set up voiceovers to go with each Variable so that you can easily creat situation relevant phrases for improved Team communication on the Fly.

Even if it was just text and not spoken in your marines voice , it would still be faster to hit two buttons than it would be to type out a message. if you had it bound to keys close enough to W,A,S,D , you could easily Communicate without ever taking your hand off the mouse.

and yes I know you could just use VoIP , but some servers Disallow Voip , and I Personally hate it when people use VoIP cause it mutes the normal game (to an extent)

anyway , the list of Communication variables could be something along the lines of

Subjects
    Crash
    Flynn
    Wildcat
    Wolfe
    Sarge
    Jaeger
    Faith
    Everyone
    Nobody
    I will

Verbs
    Retreat!
    Hack it!
    Weld this Door!
    Watch the Rear!
    Stick to the middle!
    Walk. Don't Run!
    Stick Together!
    Spread Out!
    Take Point position!
    Cover this corridor!
    Conserve Ammo!
    Set a Turret Here.
    Check your Fire!
    . . . and any others that can be thought of

And perhaps there could be a wider arrange of Emotes? those things are just fun.
    Smack the Planet!!!! -

The easiest way to organize this would be to use the UT style command system: command, and then target. So if you follow the order of the previous post, you get 'V' (I bind voice chat to V) + 2 + 2 for Crash: Hack the objective!

The problem with voice command is usually that it takes way too long to get the command right. Those valuable key searching time can be much better put to alien squashing, leaving the lovable quotes that are available right now to entertain the crowd during long hack times when no enemies are around.

New emotes would be appreciated. I need a "Thank You" emote for thanking medics for heals.

Comment

I'd like an emote that points in the direction I'm looking, to alert people. Its often difficult to describe directions when using voice comms.

Comment

Originally posted by jamus_se
        The easiest way to organize this would be to use the UT style command system: command, and then target. So if you follow the order of the previous post, you get 'V' (I bind voice chat to V) + 2 + 2 for Crash: Hack the objective!
        Durr I forgot about that.

If you use Mouswheel scrolling it is a little easier. Plus since its just for communication , it would inherently be less cluttered , thence less time.

I still think its a viable Idea.
        Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

Originally posted by [theDAN]
          I'd like an emote that points in the direction I'm looking, to alert people. Its often difficult to describe directions when using voice comms.

We tend to use the North South East West directions since the map is oriented the same way for everyone. That seems to work. If we need more fine tuning then we resort to the directional clock. "Incoming 11:00!" type of thing.

I can't imagine playing as a team without voice though. *shudder*

-3clipse

Comment

We really need more generic emotes that graphically portray sorry, lol, and you idiot. I'd dead serious. I use those 3 general phrases like they're going out of style.
            "Who's the moron who put a moron like me in charge?"

Comment

Being able to drop emote icons on your target cursor would be good; my problem with telling people where to stand is its hard to describe 'behind that table facing east, no in the corner more' etc.

Comment

There's always the smiley face. Good for thanking people.

But and would have their uses at times, I suppose.
                Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Yeah, and we need a "l337" emote too! That would be so l337.
                  "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

Unrelated to the previous posts , but could we possibly have the VOIP portraits and Names returned? If there was a reason it was removed , could you make it a Checkbox maybe for those who still want it? In Online games VoIP is used alot , and when someone says over VoIP "Follow me" it helps to see who it is.
                    Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

This has been mentioned before. I can't find the topic, but someone suggested a speaker emote above the VOIP's head.
                      "Who's the moron who put a moron like me in charge?"

Comment

You can always make your own "Say" binds, by editing the alienswarmuser.ini file. Just for the key you want to use in the list, and add "say <Insert what you want to say here>" after the =

Comment

Working...
                        X