Alien Swarm and the Movie Aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Swarm and the Movie Aliens

Hey there' I haven't started to play but as I read the website I saw how much alien swarm's equipment is also found in the Aliens movie. I wonder how much inspiration that movie gave them? The 22a1 has the same suffix as the m41a1 pulse rifle and its loaded with 95 rounds just like in the movie as well as the underslung grenade launcher. Same thing with the autogun, that relates to the m56 smartgun we also see in Aliens. Now don't take this as me whining about originality, I really love aliens so by relation i'm sure I will love this game too. See you all online.

It's pretty much completely Aliens, almost all the aliens match something in Alien.

Sure it's not the most original concept, but I don't think that is what they were going for, they instead went for and created a fantastic gameplay experience.
    Important posts: Loadout screen:Scoreboard:Tutorial:Voicechat:Grenade aim:Upgrade points:Auto-reload
    - Kalias

Comment

actually the rifle has 96 bullets
      the 95 start bullets is a bug imho cause you can reload to 96 (and no there is no bullet in the chamber or anything like that ^^)
      besided that there are shotguns
      now its been a serious while since i saw the movies so i dont remember anyone using a shotgun
      but there is a flamer, thats also being used in the movies
      and sentry turrets you can place (also from the movies, aliens 2 i think)
      and offcourse the 'parasites' are very much like the cute facehuggers except that they disappear into your body and do damage every second. if you die from the parasite effect then 3-4 more burst out of your gibbing body.
      the other 4 types of aliens arent really related to the movies
      you got the adults (soldier types) which seem like big crabs imho with those forward pincers :p
      the behemoth on uplink is just a bigass spiderlike thingy
      the white spiders ... well ... they r white and they r spiders ...
      and then you got some dragonflies sometimes
      so the relation between the game is kinda limited to the parasites, some of the weapons and the darkness of the game
      still nice enough to have loads of fun

Comment

Actually Hicks had a shotty in Aliens if i remember right("I keep this handy *shotgun load* for close encounters")
        "I am tormented by dreams of our death, And grief at what is to come.
        For in dreams I have seen / The heavens falter, And the stars drop from the sky.
        In my dreams / Creation ceases without a sound. I have seen the destruction of the Way."

Comment

Ya Cpl. Hicks used the shotgun to get rid of the alien that was holding the apc door shut.
          "Small phones, short skirts and compact cars are all the rave these days; someday, the small penis will be in style and then YOU will be the man."

Comment

Alien Swarm also uses the same style interface, music, fonts of the officially licensed FOX entertainment game Aliens Online that came out years ago. I loved the film Aliens, and so I love Alien Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by jerryku
              Alien Swarm also uses the same style interface, music, fonts of the officially licensed FOX entertainment game Aliens Online that came out years ago.
              Erm, not quite. Alien Swarm does not contain any copyrighted material. It's made from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight
                actually the rifle has 96 bullets
                the 95 start bullets is a bug imho cause you can reload to 96 (and no there is no bullet in the chamber or anything like that ^^)
                besided that there are shotguns
                In aliens Hicks uses a shotgun.

now its been a serious while since i saw the movies so i dont remember anyone using a shotgun
                but there is a flamer, thats also being used in the movies
                and sentry turrets you can place (also from the movies, aliens 2 i think)
                and offcourse the 'parasites' are very much like the cute facehuggers except that they disappear into your body and do damage every second. if you die from the parasite effect then 3-4 more burst out of your gibbing body.
                the other 4 types of aliens arent really related to the movies
                you got the adults (soldier types) which seem like big crabs imho with those forward pincers :p
                the behemoth on uplink is just a bigass spiderlike thingy
                the white spiders ... well ... they r white and they r spiders ...
                and then you got some dragonflies sometimes
                so the relation between the game is kinda limited to the parasites, some of the weapons and the darkness of the game
                still nice enough to have loads of fun
                Indeed this game is a load of fun but the weapons are very similar

Comment

It is pretty obvious this game is heavily influenced by the Alien franchise. Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 were all very good movies though. They had great themes and interesting creatures. Is it really bad to be influenced/inspired by a great movie? Plus the marines vs. aliens theme is old (Startship Troopers by Heinlein 1959.)

Comment

ugh, aliens 3 was horrible, the sentry guns only appear (in a big way) in the directors cut of the second movie 'Aliens', the scenes were cut from the original cinematic release to fit time constraints (boo!).

Comment

Alien 3 was still a good movie. Closer to the original Alien than Aliens. The problem is the first two were really good movies and defining movies in the genre. It is really hard to top them.

Comment

I never understood the dislike of so many fans of Aliens 3, it was a pretty good film in my view. Surprising that the films built up a following considering that each one had a different director and a completely different style.

However, Aliens 4 was a pile of crap.
                        "If a newbie isn't doing exactly what you want them too, you must be extra condescending and whiny over VoIP to get them to listen. The more nasaly angry you can make your tone the better, because it could make all the difference."

Comment

Originally posted by Quitch
                          I never understood the dislike of so many fans of Aliens 3, it was a pretty good film in my view. Surprising that the films built up a following considering that each one had a different director and a completely different style.

However, Aliens 4 was a pile of crap.
                          I agree, aliens 3 was a good movie because it had it's own style, just like the first two. Aliens 3 is more about the story than it's about the effects.

AFAIK, they completely scrapped the script for alien 3 at the last moment and rewrote completely new one as they went along. The original script was something about the escape pod crashlanding on a medieval style arteficial planet inhabited by monks, who didn't want to live in a hightech world.

And alien 4? Alien 4 doesn't exist.
                          I wonder if Aliens versus Predator will be a good movie. I have a horrible feeling they'll turn it into a standard Holywood action flick.

Comment

Alien 4 = Aliens Ressurection = BAD! cept for the Swimming Aliens Scene.
                            Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

Originally posted by Pepito
                              Alien 4 = Aliens Ressurection = BAD! cept for the Swimming Aliens Scene.
                              What alien ressurection? I never heard of alien ressurection. *eye twitch*

Alien ressurection doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X