Different Style of Gameplay (Idea)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Style of Gameplay (Idea)

Ok, now for all those people that troll forums looking to flame, yes, i know, most, if not all, of these items have been implemented in a mod for HL, just bear with me.

Well, ALL Co- Op games get boring after a while because there is no dynamic gameplay. The AI can only get so good, and can not really develop new strategies. While new maps can be made to "refresh" the gaming experience, the mere fact is that they will get old as well.

I'm just curious (poll above) How many of you have played Natural Selection? How many of you Like Natural Selection.

I, for one, am VERY fond of it and would still play it if my ATI card could run the old HL engine (Ati Radeon 9800 pro 256).

Now, I'm not saying to COPY them, far from it. I think it would just be awesome for the creators of Alien Swarm to make a mod, or modify Alien Swarm, with a style of gameplay much like Natural Selection. It would be a team deathmatch game that would give the marines, at least, a commander and the ability to place/build a base of operations. The aliens would also be able to build a base etc.

Now all of these things I've mentioned could have a twist put on them by the Alien Swarm team, of course.

If they made it off of Alien Swarm, which I believe they could, they could just have an option, for server makers, to choose 1 of 2 styles of gameplay. The first being Alien Swarm, the second being the strategic team deathmatch mode. (all aliens and items would be as balanced as possible of course... no autogun vs alien drone(1) on easy mode .

But... comments?
    Played it and liked it
    25.58%
    Have not played it
    25.58%
    Played it and hated it
    2.33%
    Yes
    9.30%
    No
    37.21%

This has been suggested so many times. Bottom line: devs think it's a pain in the ass to code.
    "Who's the moron who put a moron like me in charge?"

Comment

well i think they could just make things a little more flexable, you could prolly have a map that is setup to handle a team dm, heres an example since NS was brought up, in the newest steam version a team of people managed to make maps into marine vs marine, the diffierant teams had a differant color glow to tell the differance the scripts in the map handled the scoring and winning, infact they even have a unique gameplay mod capture the sonic hehe *btw amazing model concidering its being rendered on the halflife engine =X* really really fun all done by adding scripts to the map, i dont know how this could be done with the engine/alien swarm not sure whats exactly required, but if such an example is possible. SOMEONE START SCRIPTIN!! =X i would but im still trying to figure out what all then damn brakets are for =X

Comment

Originally posted by Spanky
        This has been suggested so many times. Bottom line: devs think it's a pain in the ass to code.
        Not true.
        Meow.

Comment

I'm sure MOST of the Dev's don't find Coding to be a "Pain in the ass" Why would they do it? I mean, it has to be fun for them. I know I like a challenge .

Comment

Originally posted by Xarlimus
            I'm sure MOST of the Dev's don't find Coding to be a "Pain in the ass" Why would they do it? I mean, it has to be fun for them. I know I like a challenge .
            Most of the devs aren't really coding at all.
            Dalai's just one badass coder!

Comment

Originally posted by Xarlimus
              I, for one, am VERY fond of it and would still play it if my ATI card could run the old HL engine (Ati Radeon 9800 pro 256).
              I have the same vid card you do, and I can still play NS. Doesn't mean I will, for me that game is played out.

The only problem I have with this entire future/alien/scifi genre is there is never any marine/marine combat with AI aliens thrown in. Every time I buy/download a game out of this genre, I cross my fingers and hope. Back in NS 1.0, one of the release notes said that eventually maps would be made to support MM and AA play, but alas, it just won't happen.

The Alien/Marine combat is, IMO, played out and cliche'd (PvP, I mean, not PvAI). AS is innovative and challenging and tactical, and I hope it says that way right up until the Devs abandon it because three of them have died of old age. Aliens (in general and in AS) are, quite frankly, stupid. Giving humans control of some aliens just wouldn't make sence, because humans are smarter and won't blindly charge a autogunner (at least, not after their first game)

My idea for PvP would be
              1) Each team has 8 stock marines, fielded one at a time by players on that team, similar to the way campaign works out.
              2) There are several control points over the map (at least 9), some can be used, others must be hacked for greater point value.
              3) If a marine dies, either
              3a) That marine is dead and gone
              3b) The marine will revive in a queue (when no marines are left, the first dead is revived)
              3c) The marine revives after a time period, thus reducing rushing to one's dead
              ...while the player chooses from the marines remaining in the 8-man pool.
              4) Victory is determined by Control points secure at the end of the game.

Also, it would be cool to implement a Jailbreak-style camera system for seeing other rooms (knowledge is the root of tactics). The cameras would have a first-person view, and they could be angled downward to avoid seeing the 'ceiling'.

Well, that post was longer than I expected. And probably in vain, too
              Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
              Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
              Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

Excellent points Evilreaver, also excellent Ideas. I like all of them but I would still like to see the partial build strategy integrated. Control points could provide resources etc.

KEEP EM COMING!

Comment

But, Marines just don't build things in the field. Unless they were dropshipped in, each building would have to be carried in, and are no doubt crazy heavy. They're already in heavy power armor and wielding big guns with lots of ammo (sometimes two guns! and mines!!)

I mean, have some respect for the poor marine's bones. He needs them!
                  Grunt: How dangerous can parasites be?
                  Grunt has been infested with a parasite!
                  Grunt: Oh, I thought I could step on them.

Comment

Evilreaver, you didn't mention how the AI aliens fit into your PvP plan
                    Meow.

Comment

I'd assume that reavers plan puts constantly spawning aliens in between the 2 forces...Doesn't really appeal to me though, just means more targets to burn
                      That said, a mission based PvP could be interesting. Team A are survivors of a Planetary Defence Force who were overrun in a mysterious swarm attack that started inside their base. They have to try and figure out what caused the outbreak and put a stop to it, while trying to find a way off the planet. Team B are a Syntek killteam sent in to recover any data on their alien experimentation and ensure that no one escapes the site or disrupts the hive, preventing futher research.
                      OK, the plot is pure AvP, but I'm sure some bright spark can figure out a PvPvE ideas without too much bloodshed
                      I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

I would like an option of first person or top down, even though i really didn't like NS. this kind of game has the pressure and speed reflex requirements for an FPS game that i would find very challenging and fun. I understand the majority of the community would be like 'omfg conformists' or whatever, but i would really enjoy this game in first person. or at least over-the-shoulder third person. perhaps you could even simulate kickback on the guns to keep aiming difficult.

Comment

Monky.. not satisfied with the lost cause of FF, you now crusade for a 1st person view?

Good luck with that, let me know how it turns out.
                          Meow.

Comment

lol!

I am simply saying it would be a neat thing to have. first person is deffinitely not a must for this mod, and neither is a newbie mode, but they would simply be good things to have that would open up new angles to play the game from, and open it up for more people.

I mean, i'm an oldschool fps player since tribes came out, and then i moved to DoD. back in its 3.1 days it had a habbit of scaring the crap out of you when an axis sturmtruppe jumped out from behind you and you turn around just before he opens fire to smack him with the buttstock on your gun.

I mean, first person can really make you feel pressure, you dont know what you can't see/hear, and that can DEFFINITELY hurt you. alienswarm, doesn't make me feel 'fear factor', even though it is entertaining. first person isnt necessary (it entertains without it) but an option for it might be interesting.

Comment

Eh...I dunno about anyone else, but I found AS quite scary the first time round...

Comment

Working...
                              X