101 ways to play Alien Swarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 101 ways to play Alien Swarm

Truth is, "coop gameplay" is a very loose term that doesnt do justice to the variety of ways you can play AlienSwarm. The following are a sample collected from real games online. Be sure to give some a try (or, have you already?). Can you think of other game modes? How do you play "coop"?

You can play Alien Swarm....

1) ... with your teammates (standard) : You pick equipment appropiate for the mission, try to keep in formation, listen to advice and make suggestions. You are ok taking a welder, and letting others take point. You love it when you complete the mission alongside some teammates. Extra stars are a plus.

2) ...with your teammates (St. Teresa): You look at the equip of everyone before the mission and make sure it's fine. You like playing dual medpack, you never hog kills, and you care about the missing teammate. You love it when everyone makes the mission alive. The few stars you get always go into the special skill.

3) ...in spite of your teammates (noob): Couldn't care less about the equip as long as you have autogun. Who says you cannot take a welder in Uplink? Anyways, you always take medikit or flashlight. Take point -must get 100 kills damnit!-, shout medic whenever you take damage, you don't rush, it is them that cannot keep up. Stars-> health, accuracy and special weapons. In that order.

4) ...in spite of your teammates (leet): Damn, what a bunch of noobs playing easy. You do it on insane with one marine. Keep away from them. Take Sarge with dual shottie and stims, welder or hacking tool. Go in front, destroy all the aliens, complete the mission, and tell everyone to join you at the end. Just mention your unassisted kills while debriefing in case they missed it. Make up a silly anecdote so you can post in the forums about your skills.

5) ...against your teammates (asshat): Wow, those pretty flames!. And how do people get worked up about it. LOL. ROFL. Start loop: Take any char, equip it with flamer and TK everyone. Get kicked. Rejoin with a fakenick. Loop.

6) ...against your teammates (sneaky): Can't TK, it is too obvious. But you can boycott the campaign nevertheless. Seal crucial doors, often leaving one teammate at a time behind or that crucial escape door at the end of the mission. Take the rifle, and little by little take precious health from your teammates *remember, short controlled bursts*. Hide williams in one of the side corridors by the infinite spawn, jump the lasers to the left and switch them back on when they hack them, deploy sentries blocking doors or vents and use stun grenades against your team. The possibilities are endless.
    --

Go dual shotties.

Comment

7) ...to explore: It doesn't matter what the team is doing, your job is to find the secrets. You get stuck in boxes, fall down holes, get lost and always get left behind. People ask where you are, and your goal is to get stuck, and then stay like it until everyone else is at the end but the mission can't be completed without you. It works on every level, your team-mates die from ammo shortages and you survive.

Comment

Sneakyasshat: Seal your teammates in a room with an infitite respwan in rescue, with no way out, and when when your teammate is low on ammo. Then say "I wat to finish the level by myself" *coughPepitocough*. These are the "people" you can tk without feeling guilty.
        You spoony bard!

Comment

8) ...to teach: You purposely find a group of noobs to educate. You help them devise plans to get over each room, show them how to work a team, all for the smile it bring to your face as they rejoice with each map complete. Your enemy is the "leet".
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by Sigma
            Sneakyasshat: Seal your teammates in a room with an infitite respwan in rescue, with no way out, and when when your teammate is low on ammo. Then say "I wat to finish the level by myself" *coughPepitocough*. These are the "people" you can tk without feeling guilty.

You were spamming like there was no tomorrow. It would be safer on my own. On easy , I dont care bout anyone but myself.
            Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

Originally posted by Pepito
              You were spamming like there was no tomorrow. It would be safer on my own. On easy , I dont care bout anyone but myself.
              If it isn't number 4 in the flesh

Comment

yeah I guess I pulled a combination of 4 and 6 that game . .. cept I didnt take sarge , I left him for the person who got locked out after I got him to full alone on reactorcore the previous map(yes I know thats no difficult task on easy) but its somewhat rude when you join a game , spam near someone who obviously wants to solo a bit , and then try to V-kick them when they try to protect themselves by locking you out.
                its kind of inconsiderate to try to v-kick someone who was there before you , instead of just finding a different server.
                but I digress

10)Economically :You take it easy and adjust your ammo usage depending on the server skill level. you know that on an easy server you have no need for shooting parasites , and revel in absorbing the little suckers. Conserving ammo is a must , and you always go off the beaten path to get to those mapper placed ammobags and shotgun shells.
                Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

First off, I wasn't spamming. I had to run back to the begging of the level to help a newbie find his way, and guess what? There are spwan points that way! BTW, there were no other servers with people on them that were not full.

Defender: You always take the back, as to keep those aliens from sneaking up from behind and wreaking havoc. This once happened to me while playing medic. Nobody was paying attiotion to the back, a couple aliens got into the middle of us, and Sarge with the flamer opened up.
                  You spoony bard!

Comment

Originally posted by Butters
                    6) ...against your teammates (sneaky): Can't TK, it is too obvious. But you can boycott the campaign nevertheless. Seal crucial doors, often leaving one teammate at a time behind or that crucial escape door at the end of the mission. Take the rifle, and little by little take precious health from your teammates *remember, short controlled bursts*. Hide williams in one of the side corridors by the infinite spawn, jump the lasers to the left and switch them back on when they hack them, deploy sentries blocking doors or vents and use stun grenades against your team. The possibilities are endless.
                    Haha, that actually is fun, but only on easy when you can screw around like that.

I used to run forward with flamer whenever there was an endless hoard of aliens coming, then at the last moment turn back and run behind my teammates to see them get engulfed by a tsunami of teeth and claws.

It improves their reflexes.

Comment

12) ...to not get hurt (the chicken): You run around triggering spawns but refuse to actually fire a bullet, lest you take some damage. You leave the killing to your team-mates, after all, you don't want to be the one whose character dies.

Comment

Sheep: you keep running through the map with no strategy after 3 tks a mission and 12 restarts. you dont stop to think what might the problem be, why dont we make a plan?

Chicken with head cut off: whenever you think you see an enemy, you fire. heck, you dont even have to think you see one, you just fire when you get the feeling it would be a good time to. doesn't really matter if sarge was on the end of your shotty blast, he should have known better!

sloppy: The team doesn't mind running out of the spawn area in slow motion, so you like to hammer the stims 'on accident' just as the mission starts. and at other random times when no enemies are near. Hey, we've got 12 stims right? what's the big deal?

Comment

I liked number 8). I've seen it in a few servers on normal, when some players join and they are not afraid to confess they are new to the game and would appreciate some tips. Nothing more satisfactory than finding a group like that and managing to complete the campaign. Fun for everyone involved and great atmosphere.
                          --

Comment

Most of them are hilarious and very good for categorizing players. I think I often try taking the St. Teresa path, except I hope for my mates being patient and helping me collect a few stars early on. Number 1 works fine for me too, but I’ve also had moments when 8 fit me well. Of course, it’s dependant on mood and people present. I had fun reading them all but can’t figure anything witty out myself right now.

Comment

On insane, I am hybrid 4/2

For 4:I do it on insane with 1 marine, I post in the forums about it and I most likely always take point. If people run in my fire It is their problem and I won't stop firing unless they are lagging.

For 2:I am a medic. My stars go into First Aid, I check people's gear and I like it when everyone makes it alive...When they run in my fire, if they get out quick enough I will heal them.

Does that make me half an ass and half a nice guy?

Comment

Working...
                              X