A guide to the stars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guide to the stars

Here is what I had time to dig out of the code. Please post corrections/additions if you know better and I will update the guide. Hopefully some of this information will help people make more informed choices when upgrading their characters.

Note:
    1 corresponds to the initial state in campaign, ie. 1 star
    5 corresponds to the maximum amount of stars

------------------------------------------------------

Stars cheatsheet

HEALTH

(For comparison, in single mission mode, Sarge/Wolfe have the highest health with 110 units, Flynn/Crash/Faith the lowest with 90)

1- 60
    2- 78
    3- 96
    4- 114
    5- 132

MOVEMENT

(Again, comparing with single mission, Jaeger is the fastest with 430, Wolfe the slowest with 370. Firing some weapons and reloading slows you down (except for the regular shotgun). Holding an autogun also makes you move slower, jump less )

1- 342
    2- 364
    3- 386
    4- 391 ( & reload time - 0.6 seconds)
    5- 397 ( & reload time - 1.2 seconds)

ACCURACY

(Increases the damage dealt with normal weapons. Haven't worked out the exact formula for damage yet)

SPECIAL SKILL

Explosives : Mine Damage

1- 3
    2- 5
    3- 7
    4- 9
    5- 11 (& heat proof armor)

Weapons : Autoaim FOV + Autogun damage

FOV: (degrees)
    1- 20
    2- 30
    3- 40
    4- 50
    5- 60

Medic : Health units per heal

1- 20
    2- 35
    3- 50
    4- 65
    5- 80 (& instant healing of infestation)

Techs : Hacking speed + P-Rifle damage
    (Hacking speed is scaled according to a factor given by the skill. The hack tool doubles the speed if present.)

Speed: (scale)
    1- 0.5 x2 w/tool (i.e. double time wo/tool, normal time w/tool)
    2- 0.8 x2 w/tool
    3- 1.1 x2 w/tool
    4- 1.4 x2 w/tool
    5- 1.7 x2 w/tool

Tool no tech - 0.3 (i.e. hacks take about 3 times longer)
    Last edited by Butters; 10 Jul 2004, 02:41 PM.
    --

Why not just change the numbers to 1-5? Not many people are gonna open the code up in the editor. Anyway, few tidbits:

Tech tool skills required to activate Security turrets in maps (in 1-5):
    Rescue - 2 stars
    Research - 3 stars
    Observation - 5 stars

- Holding autogun (selected, not inventory) slows you down and makes you jump a little lower (don't know if the jumping is because of decreased speed or autogun itself).
    - Reloading with the weak shotty doesn't slow you down.

Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepQantas
      Why not just change the numbers to 1-5? Not many people are gonna open the code up in the editor. Anyway, few tidbits:

- Holding autogun (selected, not inventory) slows you down and makes you jump a little lower (don't know if the jumping is because of decreased speed or autogun itself).
      - Reloading with the weak shotty doesn't slow you down.
      It's quite fun to look at the code though, highly recommended . I need to clean the post a bit (being able to make table would be handy). Changed to "in-game" star numbering.

Didn't know about the regular shottie, that makes the weapon much more interesting.

Still trying to figure out the damage bit and accuracy effects.
      --

Comment

(don't know if the jumping is because of decreased speed or autogun itself).
        The more movement you have the higher you can jump, so the two things are interlinked.

Comment

A few things to add:
          1) Max health (5 star health) should be 132, not 122

2) Movements for all the marines with 5 stars are still not the same. For example, Wildcat run faster than Wolfe even they have the same number of stars.

3) Somehow I need 4 star tech to hack the turret in Rescue (EASY, NORMAL and HARD).

4) For many of us, just need to keep in mind, if you have 2 star Accuracy with rifle in NORMAL, you need 4 to 6 bullets to kill one alien. IF you have 5 star Accuracy with the same conditions, you need 2 to 3 bullets to kill. Shooting angle have some effects on the number of bullets needed to kill an alien.

5) You will have heat resistance when you have 4 star Explosive skill. Lose approximately 100 health when you got fired with ammo bag. You lose approximately 70 health when you got fired with ammo bag if you have 5 star Explosive skill. To compare, you will exploded if you are with ammo bag and got fired with 3 star Explosive skill.
          I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

Comment

1) Well spotted. Maths went wrong on 4. Edited.

2) As far as i can tell, the code suggests otherwise in campaign mode.

3) Nope, only 2 stars. Pretty sure about that.

I will look into point 5), I think you might be quite right about heat resistance at level 4.
            --

Comment

3) Somehow I need 4 star tech to hack the turret in Rescue (EASY, NORMAL and HARD).
              Rescue being the 2nd mission, requiring 4 stars in tech skill is certainly not the way it's meant to be. Does it actually *say* "Level 4 tech skill required" at the hacking terminal?
              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Rescue being the 2nd mission, requiring 4 stars in tech skill is certainly not the way it's meant to be. Does it actually *say* "Level 4 tech skill required" at the hacking terminal?
                Nop...not sure...

It was bought up by a teammate, who used Crash. Somehow in Recue he could not get the turret on line. No idea on what message he got. But he had 2 star tech. So what happened is we started all over and add one star at a time. At the end, we need a 4 star tech skill to hack that turret...

No idea for what he did back there. Just knew that he kept saying he could not hack the turret. We restarted the campaign 4 times b/c of that

Comment

Is it possible he just didn't know what he was doing? Either that or is it possible he didn't put any stars into his tech skill?

Comment

Originally posted by Warskull
                    Is it possible he just didn't know what he was doing? Either that or is it possible he didn't put any stars into his tech skill?

Nop, I am sure that he put stars on tech skill. And he had hack tool as well. We did 2 marines run in EASY so we got 6 stars each in RC. He then put 4 in movement, 1 in ACC and 1 in tech; which was the one that didn't work

Comment

I once had a 4 star hacker on Research, and I went to the computer to disable the lasers, and it said "Needs tech skill"...

...but this was after the leader had restarted it and it had the map loading text over it, so it's the same as aliens not attacking you and all the other stuff that doesn't work when it's restarting (such as legs running away from the torso after death hehe)

Comment

Necromancy!
                        Weapon damage increase by skill

Research Threat level 4(or so it says)
                        Insane difficulty

Autogun shots for 1 alien
                        1 16
                        2 14
                        3 13
                        4 11
                        5 10

Or approx 18% damage+ per skill point

A&P Rifle shots for 1 alien
                        1 22
                        2 19
                        3 16
                        4 14
                        5 11

Or approx 25% damage+ per skill point
                        Last edited by reallybadplayer; 19 Oct 2005, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Nice guide, this deserves some stickying or linking in the other relevant threads.

Also i'm pretty positive reloading the pistol doesn't slow you down either.
                          [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
                          Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                            Also i'm pretty positive reloading the pistol doesn't slow you down either.
                            I'm guessing it wasn't mentioned because everyone knows it.
                            Doesn't hurt for newbies to know though. Someone went for a year without noticing something, maybe it didn't notice this too.

Oh take note of the low speed increase after the 3rd point for movement, the benefit comes more for reload time. And at maxed movement, you are still slower(in a straight line) than an alien.

Knowing is half the battle.

G.I. Joe!

Comment

I wonder if you noticed the part where I hang around outside your window and watch you while you sleep? I wonder.

Comment

Working...
                              X