Right Viewpoint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Viewpoint?

I've just discovered this game and I absolutely love what I see. However, I think the 100% "overhead" viewpoint is a little disorienting and hard to work with. With a great engine like ut2k4 I almost feel like I'm missing something by only being able to see straight down. I don't know if this has ever come up before, but perhaps a 3/4 or slightly LESS overhead view would better suit the game?
    As an aside on the topic I think a first person view toggle should be put in just for eye-cany purposes. Obviously it wouldn't be a good idea to play the game like this but it would be cool to see your marines up close and personal.

Without actually addressing the content of your message, you may have noticed that in various forums you've visited for an extended period of time over the years, most of them have certain questions or topics that get brought up so often by new members that there becomes an unwritten rule that these are "verboten" and the new users who innocently introduce these well-worn topics yet again are surprised at the negative energy they get from forum regulars, who are brushing off "the fiftieth post of the week" about topic X.

The reason I mention this, is that the topic you have started here is one of those very sorts. In other words, you've been warned!

Comment

It'd be great if the devs didn't sell out to Microsoft and shaft us on certain features like alternate viewpoints. I don't even think they care about their fans anymore, I doubt I'll buy another game from this particular company.

Whoa, wait a sec...thought I was posting at the Ion Storm forums. Sorry for my little bitch fit there.

But anyway...guess I gotta save face now...so I'll just say that you all suck anyway and give me some money cuz I wanna buy some stuff. You owe the COMMUNI-TAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Ripley
        Without actually addressing the content of your message, you may have noticed that in various forums you've visited for an extended period of time over the years, most of them have certain questions or topics that get brought up so often by new members that there becomes an unwritten rule that these are "verboten" and the new users who innocently introduce these well-worn topics yet again are surprised at the negative energy they get from forum regulars, who are brushing off "the fiftieth post of the week" about topic X.

The reason I mention this, is that the topic you have started here is one of those very sorts. In other words, you've been warned!
        I DID do a search beforehand, and nothing came up. Apparently I searched for the wrong thing then?

Comment

Well, first person view has been done before, a lot. If you want to shoot up aliens in first person, I highly recommend either of the AvP games.

Comment

Heh, I am a fan of FPS games but that wasn't the point. What I was suggesting was a different kind of over head view that isn't straight down, but slightly to the side ala Diablo 2 (although that isn't a good example because it's 2d.) I just think it would give a better view of everything going on due to a little depth perception.

Comment

Well an overhead view is used because a first person view encourages more "twitch" play while the overhead view encourages more tactical team play. I am not sure how a 3/4 overhead view would effect things. It would probably make aiming wierd.

As for first person, load up a few alien swarm demos and watch them in first person. They really don't look so hot in a first person view. a third person chase camera sort of works for eye-candy purposes, but really there are a a lot of points where things just look bad up close.

Comment

I am not sure how a 3/4 overhead view would effect things. It would probably make aiming wierd.
                If a marine was positioned close to a wall, he would also be invisible, and I don't like invisible marines
                mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

3rd person tilted would be a pain to aim in.
                  Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

I like alien swarm cause of its overhead view... i think another position of the camera would make another type of mod, with less strategy and more action.
                    ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Ripley
                      That is one KICK ASS SENTANCE. My grammer is a little rusty, but I think it's actually gramatically correct! I would have added an extra "that" just before "the new users" to link it more clearly back to the first "...you may have noticed that..."

"The greatest leader is he who is aggressive in meeting the needs of others."

"Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

Sniper: The sexxiest voice in gamming.

Comment

Can I suggest that a mod makes a new sticky called "Read this before posting", which tells new users not to post about a first-person viewpoint, FF being turned off, the game being too hard, n00bs in servers, whether there are going to be maps coming out soon and the sound of Sniper's voice. And also where to download maps (www.maps4mods.com and www.forcegamers.com).

Just a suggestion

Edit - The Unofficial Alien Swarm FAQ - enjoy
                        Last edited by Carth; 11 Jul 2004, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X