Autogunners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autogunners

I just wanted to offer a few suggestions to people looking to play a successful autogunner.

First of all, your place is on the front line or guarding the rear - you don't have that multi-barreled engine of destruction just so you can creep along letting the medics do the fighting for you. Get in there and mix it up, because you aren't good for much else.

When you're in there, you're going to need to show some exceptional fire control, too. If you're running around holding the fire button down, you will eat through ammo at an incredible rate. If you rapidly tap the button, rather then holding it down, you will save yourself an awful lot of ammo, not to mention racking up more unassisted kills.

When the group is on the move, regardless of if you're guarding the front or the rear, you should have some space between you and the group. If you're in the front and you run into a swarm, you have room to back up while you fire, as well as allowing some time for your group to get their shit together. If you're at the rear, it leaves room for the group to back up WHILE getting their shit together, giving the front autogunner more room to back up.

The last point is the hard one to sell, but true none the less: Autogunners are expendable. A medic, tech or explosives all depend on star ratings to be effective, where as an autogunner is effective right out of the box. If you have to die to save the medic, then die to save the medic. If you die, don't protest them continuing over stars, simply because you don't need them. They're nice, sure, but you're a badass with or without them.

This isn't a jab at anyone, nor is it an attempt to act 1337 or something. I've just noticed we have a lot of new players showing up and a lot of them seem to want to do the autogunner thing, so maybe this will help them.

Originally posted by Thalaxasis
    If you die, don't protest them continuing over stars, simply because you don't need them. They're nice, sure, but you're a badass with or without them.
    I don't think I agree... 5 stars in spec. w. makes u a war machine!
    ALZ

Comment

Originally posted by Thalaxasis
      A medic, tech or explosives all depend on star ratings to be effective
      While I agree with most of what you said, I'd just like to add that, imho, only a medic and tech really depend on their star ratings. medic because heals ( obviously) and tech for hacking the extra terminals (but even this isn't essential). Explosives guys own with the shotty and mines even at 1 or 2 stars and more often than not, if I die as an Exp. I won't mind playing on with fewer stars.
      If we can hit that bull's-eye,
      the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...
      Checkmate.

Comment

Sarge and Jaeger also have some base stars, so I'd say they are more expendable than an autogunner. Maybe on easy a 1 star autogunner is good, but put the difficulty up and it becomes the weakest class that relies on having stars in special weapons and movement if you want to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by JuggernAlz
          I don't think I agree... 5 stars in spec. w. makes u a war machine!
          I not suggesting having five stars isn't going to improve the situation, I'm just saying it isn't critical to the character being effective. It's gravy, really.

Originally posted by ReduX
          While I agree with most of what you said, I'd just like to add that, imho, only a medic and tech really depend on their star ratings. medic because heals ( obviously) and tech for hacking the extra terminals (but even this isn't essential). Explosives guys own with the shotty and mines even at 1 or 2 stars and more often than not, if I die as an Exp. I won't mind playing on with fewer stars.
          The explosives class isn't crippled by a lack of stars, but if you can get them up to five in explosives, you become immune to fire. When you're immune to fire, you're useful in a multitude of ways; you can stand in front drawing in the aliens while people armed with flame throwers torch them (fire is extremely effective in hard/insane), you can lay a line and bait a pile of aliens and run right through the flames, letting you wipe out swarms of aliens at almost no risk to yourself, to name a couple.

Originally posted by Carth
          Sarge and Jaeger also have some base stars, so I'd say they are more expendable than an autogunner. Maybe on easy a 1 star autogunner is good, but put the difficulty up and it becomes the weakest class that relies on having stars in special weapons and movement if you want to survive.
          See above on why I feel explosive classes need to retain their stars.

An auto gunner with one star is as useful in hard as it is in easy, the ammo costs just change. The ammo issue can be addressed through appropriate stars (special weapons, accuracy), but in my experience that has a minimal effect. An autogunner with a good handle on fire control is all you need. The stars, as I said, are just gravy.

Comment

id have to agree with thal a bit...tho my lack of exp. might make me unqualified to give input . but i think if an autogunner has 5skill and 5health or something liek that then losing him could be bad cuz he could act like a tank so to speak --;;...sounds corny..but oh well...i still think that autogunners and explosive experts are the most expendable because their classes are offensive based and so they kick ass no matter what

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

all class are good if u know how to use them, more stars will give u an advantage over non-upgraded character.
              Tip 1: use sentry as a stair case
              Tip 2: walk on active mines so when alien gets near you, they burn

Comment

Few tips I have for an autogunner is to not aim straight down hallways.. use your autoaim to your advantage. It will help decrease friendly fire alot.

Also.. just because the gun has autoaim doesn't mean it can't hit teammates. So don't shoot if the alien you intend to hit is in the direct path of a teammate infront or behind that alien. Cause even if you don't have your x-hair in that direction you'll still hit that teammate because of the autoaim.

But saying that don't be afraid to use the autogun to get aliens off of people being chased. Just make sure you don't fire when that person is running straight towards or away from ya. And just make sure to aim behind where the player and alien is running so not to hit the player.

Oh and make sure you don't block off people at intersections by getting up against one side of the intersection and shooting at something on the other end so none can pass you. Most people aren't patient and will just run straight across your line of fire. So leave enough room for people to go behind you.

Follow those simple rules and you'll be TK free.

Comment

Working...
                X