Medic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medic

Inspired by Thalaxisis's thread on autogunners I thought I would post this little article I was kicking around at 3 am this morning Enjoy

How to be: An Effective Medic
    By
    Johnathan

Disclamer:
    Before I start I would like to make it known that this is simply the way *I* choose to do things. Its by no means ment to be the final word on anything. Having said that, lets get on with it shall we?

Things you absolutely must have/be:

Perception:
    Knowing where people are at all times in a *real* pain in the ass.. however its part of your job.. with 2 medics (hopefully they both know whats going on) its easier by far.. though its a rare case that the other medic knows what hes doing, this can be evident by the way he follows YOU around Having at least a rough idea of where your comrads are is essential to you doing your job. Be FULLY aware that its not part of thier job to know where you are... Fact of life.

Nerves:
    How many times have you seen this: Your walkthing through a hall way and 10 aliens swarm you, whats your reaction? do you turn around and run away? If so, close this and go read up on something else. Your going to get yourself and your team killed. If you answered: unload on them. close this, your more likely suited to being a heavy gunner than a medic If you answered along the lines of: Burst fire or grenades, while backing up. Your probably suited to being a medic. Reason being: If you know *how* to move under fire and in chaotic situations, your going to be more valuable to your team (and yourself) Bottom line: don't panic.

Carefully Wreckless:
    If your going to be a medic, your going to spend about 80% of your time up front in the thick of things. You cant be affraid to take chances (such as running THROUGH someone's line of fire on occasions to get to someone) However you have to be able to keep yourself alive, while using as few of your medikits as possible (If you burn them up on yourself, whats your team going to be healed with?)

Flexability and Quick thinking:
    I kindda figured these would go without saying but here goes anyway: You HAVE to be quick on your feet, when you get attacked and 30 aliens swarm your team, its going to be upto you to keep them in fighting condition, and though they might not be upto snuff you still have a job to do

Fundamental Skills

Marksmanship:
    This goes for any class but medics especialy, your load may consist of a pistol and 2 med satchels. Practice and know the range of your chosen weapon (if it has one) and your backup (more on that later)

Quick Healing:
    When healing someone, you have two options, 1) Hit your use key while your crosshair is over a person or 2) Right click on the marine's portrait when the little blue + is next to thier name. Highly suggest learning how to do both in the quickest manner possible as it often times means the diffrence between life and death.

Manuvering:
    Knowing where people are on the battlefield can go a long way to increasing your survival chances when avoiding friendly fire and the occasional errant mine. This especialy helps when trying to get to someone who is in desperate need of healing.

The Loadouts:

Front Line Medic
    This loadout is for the medic who will spend most if not all of his time on the front lines, taking point or going solo. It consists of:
    Assault Rifle
    Med Satchel
    Pistol

Pros: Firepower and a fallback weapon in addition to healing capability.
    Cons: Not well suited to parasite rich environments or maps such as Barracks

Notes: This loadout is especialy well suitied for easy/normal campaigning with about 2-6 people.

Captain Infesto
    As the tittle suggests, this loadout is geared toward parasite rich maps (or very tough maps)
    Dual Satchels
    Pistol

Pros: Odvious Healing capability.
    Cons: Low ammo capacity, reliance on someone for an ammo bag. (this can be dangerous when hes dead at the middle of the map lol)

Walking Pharmacy
    Rarely used but can come in handy when needed.
    Dual Satchels
    Stim packs

Pros: Healing ability, can stim when needed, usualy when everyone else is carrying mission essential equipment.
    Cons: Lack of any kind of weapon make this load an extremely rare occurance.

Playing the Medic:

Aliens:
    Fairly straight forward problem and solution, if someone gets infected you heal them.

Friendly Fire:
    Again a fairly easy problem, avoid it and heal as nessisary.

Ammo Bag Explosions:
    Gotta love ammo cookoffs :-/ After the damage is done, IF he is still alive do EVERYTHING you can to get to him. If you have to forego healing someone that is at 30% health, do it.. Ammo cookoffs take priority above all else, save for infection for odvious reasons. (70% of the time, when the ammo bag exploded that person is or was near the front line and is in great danger.)

Knowing When NOT to Heal:
    Prioritising injuys on the fly is a fairly essential skill to master, and one that will come with practice and patience. If an autogunner and a tech both call for medic on AO-UPLINK. Which are you going to heal first? Assume both of them are at 40% health. Your answer will probably differ depending on the situation, however my priority would go to the tech, simply because we need him to complete the mission. But then again, if I'm closer to the autogunner I'd heal him first.
    Now, about when NOT to heal. No matter how much a player calls for medic.. if he is at 70% or more.. for god's sake.. dont heal him. Especialy if your playing the Front Line load out. Meds are precious things and must be allocated accordingly. Even infection (sometimes) waits for a couple seconds. Care must be taken to ration them out to the end of the map or to large battles (the elevator on Rescue might be an example) Basicly: Use your brain when healing or calling for a medic. and Dont forget to point players to the medikits that litter the maps, they will ease your burden to a degree.

Master The Quick Heal:
    As stated earlier, when the bullets fly and the aliens attack, its your job to keep everyone healthy. Practice this in single player if you have to, but PRACTICE running through a firefight and healing someone on the fly. This combined with the 'knowing where people are' skill are your major things that need to be practiced. Without them you are useless. Another fact of life. Sad but true

Not Everyone Will Make it 100% of The Time:
    Another unfortunate fact, though this goes back to that priority thing. If you know for sure that you cant help someone (IE: Theyre surrounded by aliens and firing maddly WHILE running away FROM you.) Get to someone you can help. Simple? Yeah, Regretfull? Eh..

Know the Maps:
    Play through it on single player, whatever you can. LEARN the maps and how to most effectively navigate them, this will come in handy when your trying to get to wolfe who happens to be pinned down behind a train car. and it will also help you avoid unexpected spawns.

Conclusion

Yeah I know its fairly short, but I think most of this will be of some use to newer players who want to be a good medic.. the rest comes with practice. :p
    Take care.
    Johnathan, the archetype Front Line Medic

Adendum:

Skill Points:
    Your first priority with your stars should be your special skill.
    Then Fill up your health
    Then distribute them evenly between movement and accuracy (in that order)
    if you kill a lotta bugs, this wont be a problem for you but it still comes in handy

Comment

I have sort of a Thing going for how I handle a medic's First Aid stat.

-If silver halo has not been earned, only put yourself at 4 stars in First Aid skill. Do well in healing (and ironically, hope your teammates get roughed up a bit) and that 5th star is as good as yours for free.

-If you have earned silver halo at some point, regardless of whether you have blood halo or not, you want 5 stars.

-It's too hard to "try and get blood halo."

Comment

Can't you just have someone shoot you until your just above death? Then heal to full... Never tried it, but I'd think that would give the blood halo.

One point of contention:
        And if you've got any kind of skills, you'll want to max health LAST, movement FIRST. It will let you AVOID damage far better, and also it will aid in REACHING others quicker. I would say Accuracy above Health is dependent upon your typical gear setup (do you use the rifle often?)
        "The greatest leader is he who is aggressive in meeting the needs of others."

"Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

Sniper: The sexxiest voice in gamming.

Comment

Sniper:
          I can see where your comming from, and logicly *yes* you would want movement and skill over all others, however this is simply my style as I spend most of a mission with the front line (and sometimes leading the charge lol) and a result my stats usualy develop that way
          Yeah, My usual load reflects the Front Line Medic style.

Comment

i agree with johnathan...though i try to be not THAT agressive as medic knowing that if i die the team could get screwed over real fast hehe...but i started as medic because all the other classes required a lot of shooting and medic didnt really offer a lot of shooting so i could sorta tag along and figure out the maps and so forth, its actually a pretty good "newbie" marine class if u ask me, though medics are also definetly not a newbie class at the same time haha. but i just be agressive in first lvl to get gunfighter for akimbo pistol and then i hang back and do a lot of healing more then anything else heh. just my 2cents on medic

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper007
              Can't you just have someone shoot you until your just above death? Then heal to full... Never tried it, but I'd think that would give the blood halo.
              That's uh, not specifically how you get it, it's just based off a certain amount of points healed.

But then you'd have to find the balance between shooting teammates on purpose to heal them and get medals (which albeit are more than just pretty trinkets for bragging rights) and saving medkits for that emergency parasite or ensuing panic from the close-range alien.

Comment

I've found this to be a good loadout...

Support Medic:
                - Rifle
                - Medpack
                - Flares

Basically it gives you the firepower to slow down even medium/large swarms if necessary and you also considerably boost the fighting ability of the rest of the squad. Flare's autoaim is also good for dealing with parasites if autogunner or p-rifle is unavailable. If anyone else in the team is using rifle as a primary weapon, then flares are a must.

Also, not that many people usually take flares as their extra. Mines, welder and stims are more common choices. However, for medic with a rifle the flares are an obvious choice.
                Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by Taika
                  i agree with johnathan...though i try to be not THAT agressive as medic knowing that if i die the team could get screwed over real fast hehe...
                  I aggree with you there, however you have the flip side of the coin: If your not aggresive enough to level up your abilities as quickly as possible, then you can wind up doing more harm then good
                  I think being an aggressive medic is where its at.. but thats just me

Never thought about taking flares... Tough most maps that require a stand off situation usualy have flares in them (salvage, and uplink I believe BOTH have flares present) However see where it might be usefull, especialy in the dark corridor on rescue

Hopefully we can play together sometime, maybe we can teach each other a thing or two

Im out, the sun is comming up. Take care everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Salsa
                    That's uh, not specifically how you get it, it's just based off a certain amount of points healed.
                    Brain fart. I was thinking of the bloody heart almost / completely dead thingy. Nevermind.
                    "The greatest leader is he who is aggressive in meeting the needs of others."

"Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life."

Sniper: The sexxiest voice in gamming.

Comment

Can't you just have someone shoot you until your just above death? Then heal to full...
                      Yes, do it at the end of every map (if possible) until you get 5 star heal. Someone with a rifle/autogun should damage someone slightly. Also try it if someone needs healing before a big battle: shoot them a bit first, then heal. Just don't use a pistol, isn't that right Butters

Carth was killed by Butters
                      Butters: oops
                      Carth: you shot me
                      Butters: i was trying to lower your health a bit

Anyway, here's the loadout I usually choose:

Medic equipment for easy/normal:
                      Dual satchels
                      Pistol

Medic equipment for hard:
                      Rifle
                      Satchel
                      Flashlight/flares

I personally prefer the flashlight. Flares are very good with the pistol, but take whichever you prefer.

Medic equipment for hard/insane:
                      Shotgun
                      Satchel
                      Stims

Originally posted by Johnathan
                      Front Line Medic
                      This loadout is for the medic who will spend most if not all of his time on the front lines, taking point or going solo. It consists of:
                      Assault Rifle
                      Med Satchel
                      Pistol
                      I'm not sure about taking two weapons as the medic, it seems a bit selfish. Let the big guns do the killing. I know, I know... front line medic

Originally posted by Johnathan
                      Walking Pharmacy
                      Rarely used but can come in handy when needed.
                      Dual Satchels
                      Stim packs
                      I've played the walking pharmacy many times. Only do it if someone on your team takes a second weapon that you can use. It's similar to the 2 sentries and stims/welder strategy... it needs good teamwork to protect you.

And if you've got any kind of skills, you'll want to max health LAST, movement FIRST.
                      I couldn't agree with this more. Whatever class you play, movement is vital. Instead of taking more damage, just avoid getting it.

Oh, and nice work Johnathan

Comment

One very important thing is "Help the medic, help yourself." Stand still when you need the medic, else you risk them accidently using a med satchel for that scratch they have, rather than your gaping chest wound. The medic right-clicking the portrait is a wiser idea, but also has the downside of making your view take a jump to the northeast, which is dangerous if an alien pops up from the southwest, or the guy in need of healing decides to take a walk.

For goodness sake, do NOT run full-tilt away from the medic when you are parasited

This has been noted in Drakus's newbie guide, if you are parasited and the medic is out of satchels \ no personal medkits around, it is their duty to TK you, so that those 6 parasites don't spawn from your death. Don't get mad.

A good medic will report their inventory every so often, especially when their stock is low (By default, Y). Keep note of this, other players, and don't repeatedly ask for medic when they are also repeatedly reporting their absence of satchels. Not being aware of the medic's satchel status can be deadly for everybody, at any time.

Comment

Good points Salsa, to that I would like to add the following.
                          IF you see the medic running AWAY from the front line (assuming theres only one medic) do your best to get the hell out of thier way, as in all likelyness they are trying to get to someone thats in critical condition or infested. DO NOT MAKE IT YOUR FUCKING JOB TO GE IN THEIR WAY
                          I had to TK grunt so I could get to someone, whats wrong with this picture.. :p

Oh and uh.. Dont thank the medic, taking the time to type out ty is a waste.. do your job and kill things, let us do ours and make sure you can

Comment

Originally posted by DeepQantas
                            ...the flares are an obvious choice.
                            I'm hard pressed to find the advantage of flares over a flashlight. Flares require setting up and are limited to 9 uses, while a flashlight is constant and mobile.

It doesn't cast true light, but it still gives enough definition to aliens, as well as the precious Auto-aim
                            "Humility makes me look better than I really am"

Comment

Flares are for your Team. if you use a flashlight youre an autoaim hogger
                              Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

Working...
                              X