Satellite pictures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite pictures?

In UT when I play a map for the first time I like to use the FLY and GHOST cheat to lift myself high in the air above the map. Once you break through the skybox limit, you've got a complete and well lit view of the whole map, which gives you an excellent idea how the map is structured. This is also nice to take a screenshot and make annotated maps, for example to discuss tactics for a clanmatch or (in case of AS) to illustrate a walk-through.

Problem in AS: When I use FLY/GHOST in AS, my controls are f*cked up. The mouse has no effect on the players z-axis and the player doesn't turn with the crosshair any more. Hence I can't control the flight.

Does anybody know a good work-around for this problem? I know I could just open the map in UnrealEd, but the editor tends to crash a lot on my PC.
    ¤ ¤ The L-shaped Tetris Block, not the pansy 4x1 Block ¤

You could try running a first-person-recorded demo, and right clicking. That switches you to the normal float cam.

The reason the mouse can't control the Z axis, is because your marine's Z tilting depends on the object he's aiming, or th object he was aiming at last - if you were aiming at the roof of the room, and you leave the map area, you could easily get "stuck" looking "up".

I suggest the demo method. Or just turn on God, and play around with the map.

Comment

Why not just pop up the map in the map editor?

Comment

Originally posted by Metamorphosis
        Why not just pop up the map in the map editor?
        As I said: UEd tends to crash my PC all the time.

Anyway .... I found a way. Swiss Mercenary pointed me in the right direction: You have to point the crosshair very close to you on the ground before your feet, which means 3-dimensionally you're facing down at a steep angle. Now turn your back towards the center of the map. Now switch on FLY/GHOST and move backwards. You'll be lifted up in the air at the before mentioned steep angle.

Here is a nice satellite picture that I took of AS-ReactorCore:

Now if only I could find a way to make the player invisible.

Also, I'll have to fiddle with gamma correction a bit more and switch off the HUD.

Comment

well shit...aint that pretty

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

nice
            just a hint, if you are going to make a walktrough/tactis or something, draw a contour around edges and stuff, makes you see things better
            mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

As I said: I'll optimize brightness / contrast / gamma correction to make the images a lot clearer. Then hopefully I won't have to draw a contour.

I plan to create such a sattelite picture of every official map and put them on the web. They will be free to use for anybody who wants to create walkthroughs or tactical guides.

Comment

You could try typing at the console: open Ao-ReactorCore?game=engine.gameinfo

That should give you a complete freecam. It also helps to lower your FOV before taking these kind of shots, that'll reduce the perspective effect (though you'll have to climb higher to compensate for the zoom). Just type: FOV 30 or something into the console, the lower the better. Don't go too low, else you'll have to fly so high that the level will be outside the render range.

Comment

Dalai: gotta test that
                  mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

hehe i love these devs, they are so supportive and helpful to helping players made guides and things to help other players, you don't find that everyday

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

then again , there arent many mods that need guides
                      Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

Working...
                      X