Offline with more than 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offline with more than 4?

Is it possible to play a single mission offline with more than 4 marines?

Not that I know of, but I wish it was an option...
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

http://www.forcegamers.com/filedb/pa...ion=file&id=16 (Thanks to Mek )

Well, its a total hack job, but it seems to work.
      Of course, use this at your own risk, I'm not responsible for any potential problems it could cause. It hasn't been tested.
      Copy ISL.u to your UT/System folder.

Unfortunately, Alien Swarm doesn't have a menu for mutators, so it gets a little complicated here:

Go to the console (default '~') Type 'open AO-Rescue?mutator=ISL.MutMoreMarines' This will open the map AO-Rescue (replace the map name with the map you want to play), and load my mutator.

Once in the briefing screen, select 4 marines. Then open the console again and type 'mutate maxMarines' This will cause the game to think you have 0 marines selected, allowing you to add 4 more. Thats all there is to it (phew!)

Issues: with 7 AIs following you, you get stuck in corners VERY easily.
      I have no idea what kind of negative effects it has elsewhere in game, I only tested to see that it allowed you to add marines. If it doesn't work, I probably can't fix it

Good luck! Hope this works for ya.
      Last edited by BiG_D; 23 Jul 2004, 01:12 PM. Reason: Various mistakes...

Comment

Nice BiG_D, but can you mod the InstaGibMinigun while your at it? I wanna play instagib Bomberman xD

Comment

Huh? Do whatnow? Sounds too difficult for me...

Comment

Just crank up the damage for everything to an obscene amount.

Comment

Originally posted by montecristo345
              Is it possible to play a single mission offline with more than 4 marines?
              Originally posted by Warskull
              Just crank up the damage for everything to an obscene amount.
              Higher firepowers with More marines...typical TK theme park setting...

As for the crack/hack, I need some time to "try"...
              I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

Comment

Good job on the mutator on demand Big_D
                Telic Corporation

Comment

Originally posted by tank hunter
                  Higher firepowers with More marines...typical TK theme park setting...

As for the crack/hack, I need some time to "try"...
                  I meant you could just amplify the damage twenty-fourty times for an instagib mode. It would be a TK themepark, but that is what instagib is.

Comment

Editing the weapons seems to be a little more difficult... Right, Butters?

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                      Editing the weapons seems to be a little more difficult... Right, Butters?
                      Nah, piece of cake (as long as u just drop the pickup in the map).
                      --

Comment

Ok, I experimented a lot with this, and Butters recommended I give feedback, so here it is.

The mutator works great, though it's picky and case sensative (took me a while to figure that one out). I played through the entire SP campaign with it by opening a new campaign, loading up reactor core, and reloading that same map while launching the mutator. Picked my 4 marines, mutate maxMarines, picked the other 4, and went to town. I realized quickly that to micromanage that force, it's a good idea to know what formation you're going to favor while you choose your marines, then pick them in that order. I used Wildcat, Sarge and Wolfe up front, Faith and Bastille covering the sides, and Crash, Jaeger and Flynn covering rear in a sort of 'moving-box' formation. In a pinch, any or all of the marines could bolster the defense from any direction, and with overlapping fields of fire, it was even safe to dig through an ammo bag while in a pitched combat. I found after I finished ReactorCore, that as long as I didn't restart the map, the mutator stayed in effect, and as long as I never quit out of AS, I was able to play the entire campaign while only enabling the mutator for the first map.

Another note, playing through with all 8 marines will easily double the time it takes to complete the level unless you use the AI follow command a lot, and there's absolutely no way you can get all 8 through the ducts in ReactorCore within the time limit(I took Wildcat with Sarge and Wolfe on follow until the valves were activated, then moved the rest up to help out in the egg room).

The mutator works great with custom maps as well (already tested 3 of them out), though I haven't had the opportunity to test it out in MP yet. Having the whole squad on AO-Paracelcus was a great help, considering all the infinite bug spawns. The other part that I absolutely love is listening to Jaeger & Sarge, and Wildcat & Wolfe bantering back and forth during a mission- it certainly adds to the feel of the game.

So, Thx Big_D! I've enjoyed this little tweak immensely.
                        "Hey, D'Argo. How come I'm not afraid?"
                        "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty."
                        "I love hangin' with you, man."
                        -John Crichton & Ka D'Argo, Farscape Ep.1x22, 'Family Ties'

Comment

Yeah, package names and such are case sensitive. Kinda out of my control; I could've named everything in lower case, but I figure I had broken enough coding standards for one mutator Hopefully a mutator menu will be added eventually, which will remedy most typing issues.

Now, as a question: is it safe to say that, if you are using this mutator to play a campaign, you will take five or more marines every mission? If yes, then I can probably remove the need to type 'mutate maxMarines' at the begining of each mission.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it, the feedback is quite appreciated.

EDIT: And this package is dead. Any further updates to this mutator will be included in my mutator pack. http://forums.blackcatgames.com/show...?t=5041&page=1
                          Last edited by BiG_D; 23 Aug 2004, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Definitely more than 5 marines every time. If you're running the mutator, why wouldn't you take the entire squad with you? I got very comfortable with an 8-man formation, and couldn't bring myself to leave even 1 marine back at the dropzone
                            "Hey, D'Argo. How come I'm not afraid?"
                            "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty."
                            "I love hangin' with you, man."
                            -John Crichton & Ka D'Argo, Farscape Ep.1x22, 'Family Ties'

Comment

Working...
                            X