Map Restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Restart

Is it possible for you to code a way to get the map to reset without having to re-load the entire level? Like somehow just reset the game board and player variables such as ammo, hp, items etc.? This would be REALLY AWESOME for people with slower computers and connections, as well as map-makers, who would be able to create larger-sized map files without worrying how long it takes to load the level.

If you think it MIGHT be possible, PLEASE TRY TO FIGURE A WAY TO DO IT!!!

This might be one of the reason people are turned off by AS ...

If you did figure out a way to do it, please give the option of "Restart with same Loadout" and "Back to Mission Loadout" so people can just keep playing or set their items/marines differently.
    "Crack the panel!"
    "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

I think you need fair bit amount of the comp resource to do that, which ruins the intension of helping the slow comps...
    I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

Comment

something like "reset"?
      yea, this is a rather good idea, becuase you don't have to load up the lobby again, and just reset everything on the map (players, bugs, ammo, health, sentrys, mines, etc.). This would be perfect in the Deathmatch maps
      mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

It should only take as many resources as it normally needs to keep track of those things ... ?

I don't know how possible this is in the way of coding, but if it is, AS NEEDS it. :0)
        "Crack the panel!"
        "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Comment

I have thought about this, but think of it this way. If you play the map, objects are changed, and so forth. This would mean that the game would need to store the default state of all these objects. Now where might it store these? It would just be duplicating, as the default states are stored in the map files. so you could use up more memory (which would make everything worse for low end computers), or you can reload the map.

Solution: don't lose, just win

really, though, it's a modern game, and it's not going to run perfectly on older computers. people need to deal with it. if you don't want to wait, spend the money of a higher end gaming machine. I have a mid range computer which I built for under $1000. Runs the game fine, and loads the maps quickly. I've seen people complain, but I can't think of any other way they could do it because I would assume that most of the map code is in the closed-source UT2004 game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Powers
            I have thought about this, but think of it this way. If you play the map, objects are changed, and so forth. This would mean that the game would need to store the default state of all these objects. Now where might it store these? It would just be duplicating, as the default states are stored in the map files. so you could use up more memory (which would make everything worse for low end computers), or you can reload the map.
            This is exactly what I said before...

Comment

my biggest gripe with restarting maps and proceeding to new maps is the campaign lobby: why did they have to make en entire map with matinee instead of just a simple level selection screen? it takes very long to load and adds a solid minute to the whole process. frankly, i say 1.2 should just remove the campaign lobby altogether in favor a faster-running solution. The same goes for the main menu: AS takes far longer to load than UT for me because the main menu is a map with a matinee. why? no one ever looks at it for more than five seconds.

Please devs, at least include an option to replace the "map" menus with "static" ones. there is no need for all that eye-candy.
              "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

what if there was a way to restart but to skip the lobby? and keep marines, weapons etc. as they were the last time (same weapons for the marines, marines selected by the players)? This was what i meant in my first post. I've got no idea if this is possible, but it doesn't sound too hard (the only thing i can come up with which needs to be added is that AS should remember which marine(s) the player have selected, the weapons seems to be saved automaticly already, and something which skips the lobby). I hope this will be implented, maybe call it "Quick Restart", "Fast Reset", "Instant Reload" or a mix between 2 of them?
                mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

Alternatively, kill all the marines instantly and use some sort of respawn trigger to spawn the marines at the beginning location and respawn the aliens in the map.

Comment

No, tank, that wouldn't work. You have to reset things like barrels, doors (and their damage, weld state, etc), vents that could pop open, all the triggers, turrets, crates, eggs ...

What about if UnrealEd could be programmed somehow to know which actors could be tampered with and compiled a smaller index of each items' default state ... it would make each level bigger file-wise, but the load time would be well worth an extra two megabytes even.
                    "Crack the panel!"

Comment

Working...
                    X