Choosing between multiple actions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing between multiple actions

Sometimes, multiple actions are presented at the most inopportune times.

For example, Sarge may need to pick up spare ammo in the heat of battle, but as he positions himself to do so, he moves near a sealed door and is presented with the CUT action as well as the TAKE action. And wouldn't you know it, when you press 'E', Sarge tries to CUT the door open instead of picking up that ammo!

One thing to do is move around until only the desired TAKE option is there, but sometime movement isn't possible (as when pinned down by bugs).

Is there a way to choose the alternate available action instead of the first one presented to you? Like, pressing the 'E' key twice (though I tried that and it didn't work!) This way, Sarge could have immediately chosen TAKE instead of CUT in the above example.

Thanks,

Yes there is a way. There's some buttons that list actions at the bottom left of the screen. When there's more than one action, there's more than one button. Just be careful you don't miss the button and shotgun someone in the back... not that I've ever done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carth
      Just be careful you don't miss the button and shotgun someone in the back... not that I've ever done that.
      Lies! Blasphamy!

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard
        Is there a way to choose the alternate available action instead of the first one presented to you? Like, pressing the 'E' key twice (though I tried that and it didn't work!) This way, Sarge could have immediately chosen TAKE instead of CUT in the above example.
        There is the list (1-x items) on the left lower side of the screen what says what to do (cut, take, heal, use, hack etc.) you can click on them with left mouse button and it performs only that action... You can do it in the heat of the battle easely, thats why stims are for...

Edit: Useless post... Oh well, damn you slow internet...

Comment

Originally posted by Taika
          Lies! Blasphamy!
          It was an accident That's it Taika, you're on my TK list.

Comment

Ok, so you're all saying that instead of using the 'E' quick key when there are multiple actions shown, I need to position my mouse on the proper icon (USE, CUT, HEAL, TAKE, etc.) and left-click?

I'll try that. Thanks!

I see what Carth means about shotgunning someone, though. I have the same trouble when using the right-click menu. I move the mouse to select an action, and then I am no longer aiming where I had been. That's why I use the quick keys whenever possible, to keep the cursor steady. But if that's the only way, then... so be it!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard
              I see what Carth means about shotgunning someone, though. I have the same trouble when using the right-click menu. I move the mouse to select an action, and then I am no longer aiming where I had been. That's why I use the quick keys whenever possible, to keep the cursor steady. But if that's the only way, then... so be it!
              In stims i allways use the mouse... i RARELY (+70%) only miss click anything and couse few (3-7) tk's ...

Its really easy when u get the hang of it...

Comment

I use it for healing nearly all the time now. People run around like mad so much that you have to. With the action buttons you don't have to face them, or even be near them.

Comment

Originally posted by Carth
                  I use it for healing nearly all the time now. People run around like mad so much that you have to. With the action buttons you don't have to face them, or even be near them.
                  Won't right-clicking be easier? You won't misfire.

Also in the tutorial, it teaches you that you can left click instead of pressing "E". I missed that part too, took me a couple of weeks of gaming to find out.

Comment

Oops that's what I meant. Sohtaraz said he always uses the mouse, and I meant that I do too for healing - using the right click for marines. The buttons at the bottom are very difficult to click in a hurry.

Comment

You can't left click the button in the bottom left to heal.. because you have to have the x-hair on them inless your trying to heal yourself anyway.

Comment

Yep, it's annoying when you try to pick up some item fast while 40aliens are eating your shoes--- but the item is next to a welded door, pressing use you are just clicking the door to wich you dont even happen have a welder :/

some sort of priorising would be nice ie. ammo> item>welded door
                        or: item you can use > item you can't use

Comment

Originally posted by Aridian
                          some sort of priorising would be nice ie. ammo> item>welded door
                          or: item you can use > item you can't use
                          Add : Heal Teammate > Heal self to that list...bugs me when the guy I'm trying to heal runs just out of range and I heal myself for all of 3 hp...no halos this time round
                          I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream

Comment

what if you could CTRL + number press to do the listed action?
                            if the different buttons where like this:
                            Heal - Take - Cut
                            If you then press CTRL + 1, you'd heal, CTRL + 2 to Take the thing, and CTRL + 3 to Cut some door?
                            mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

Originally posted by Piroko
                              Add : Heal Teammate > Heal self to that list...bugs me when the guy I'm trying to heal runs just out of range and I heal myself for all of 3 hp...no halos this time round
                              Healing teammates does take priority over healing yourself. When it changes back to yourself, it means that your teammate is out of range (or you're not facing them) and priority drops back to self-healing.

I prefer healing by right-clicking on the portraits. Not only do you not have to worry about wasting a heal, it's also easier to "heal on the run."

Comment

Working...
                              X