More than 4 marines in SP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than 4 marines in SP?

First off, my compliments on the best TC mod I've ever seen for any engine. After a friend sent me a link to download the trailer for AS, I ended up getting UT2K4 *just to play this mod* lol! Played through the tutorial (and accidentally shotgunned Faith the first time through and had to restart), then tried about 20 times to get through the first level, only to get frustrated and wait to try out coop with someone who'd already played the game who could hopefully explain things a bit better.

Sadly, I played coop with the friend who sent me the trailer to begin with (didn't know that him being a severe Rambo was a bad thing at that time). Initially, his 'suggested strategy' was to run the marines through the first half of Reactor one at a time, back and forth until they got enough kills to get awards, and to repeat this on every map. We'd each take 1 marine and leave the others with their backs to the wall in a safe corner where they wouldn't get jumped. While this was moderately effective for the first 2 maps, we got killed hundreds of times on Salvage, and I finally convinced him that we might want to actually USE the AIs to cover our backs. 2 frustrating days of multiplayer later of trying to convince him that he was indeed a Rambo, we finally beat the coop campaign on easy. Then I went back and played through the SP campaign focused on formation, formation, formation (and resolving to NEVER use the follow command), and I made it through without a hitch. Go figure.

I love the teamwork aspect of the game, and the fact that reliance on any one weapon or strategy will eventually cost you, constantly forcing you to adapt or die.

But I digress. Back to my original thought before I started rambling (I'm given to that), I searched through the forums for about 3 or 4 hours looking for a topic that addressed this (because I hate duplicating someone else's post). This was the only one I could find:
    http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=4224

It raised an interesting question. Obviously, you can have more than 4 marines by having more than 4 players in an MP game. And that thread suggests that you can only have 4 marines maximum in a SP game. But let me ask, if the limit is 4 characters, why are there hotkeys for 8 marines in the control binds? Is there some way to unlock a bigger squad to use the binds for marines #5 through 8? If not, is there some easy modification I can perhaps make to an .ini file to allow all 8 marines in use at once? I personally found the squad tactics/formations aspect of the game to be more my style than trying to manually control all the marines during firefights (not to mention the AI will only hit you with FF on extremely rare circumstances). I often found myself switching to which ever character was seeing the least action and letting the AIs handle the situation in a more efficient fashion than I could ever hope to.

An unrelated question, I notice that Wolfe and Wildcat have interactions during the game ("You slowin' down old man?"). Do any of the other characters interact in a similar fashion? I experimented a little with different squads, but haven't gotten any other interesting dialog between characters.

-----------------------

On another unrelated note, if anyone here plays AVP2, I was one of the major voices in creating Projam4, and helped with a good deal of the coding (I'm Sterling, the 4th guy down on the PJTeam section). I speak from experience when I say that I know how much work you guys have had to put into a project like AS. Ironically enough, AS accomplished many of the concepts that I'd tried to include in a mod before, and far better than Lithtech/Talon could ever have. I'd love to have worked an AVP TC/Mod in an engine other than Lithtech, but Fox Entertainment enforces the Intellectual Property laws very strictly, making that impossible.

Anyway, for anyone interested in Projam4 for AVP2, check us out:
    http://www.planetavp.com/projam/
    "Hey, D'Argo. How come I'm not afraid?"
    "Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty."
    "I love hangin' with you, man."
    -John Crichton & Ka D'Argo, Farscape Ep.1x22, 'Family Ties'

Thanks Preceptor_Teeth, glad you like the game. I'm also glad you figured out that positioning and formation are key, rather than leaving the marines on follow all the time (as many people seem to do).

We really designed the game to have four marines, letting more in singleplayer would probably be tiresome to move them all and would make the missions rather easy. The extra player slots open up in multiplayer so you don't end up with a friend left out, but still, 4 players makes for the best games. That said, you could try this.

Jaeger and Conrad have some conversation lines too, being old comrades.

Comment

Excellent, Thx Dalai!

I guess the formation thing came natural to me, since it felt like a much less cumbersome version of the micro-managing that many RTS games include. Starcraft sometimes made me want to tear my hair out trying to juggle an invasion force to attack more than one location at a time, whereas with AS, using 1 key to cycle through marines (and having chosen them in the order they'd move in formation when I picked them from the roster) was infinitely easier. Picking Wildcat, then Crash, then Faith, then either Wolfe or Jaeger let me lead with an autogun, follow with either a p-rifle or flamer, keep the medic out of harm's way, and have a shotgun/autogun bringing up the rear with military precision (and everyone came back home in 1 piece).

I'd like to suggest adding 'more than 4 marines in SP' to the FAQ, along with the link to that mutator. Certainly would've saved me a lot of time looking through a few thousand posts.

>runs off to play with a full squad of marines on a harder difficulty setting<

Comment

Hmm, can't seem to figure out how to get that mutator to work.

Downloaded ISL.rar from the above provided link, extracted ISL.u into C:\UT2004\AlienSwarm\System

Ran AS, and entered the console command as Carth's Unofficial AS FAQ suggests:

Originally posted by Carth
        2.09). How do play a game with a mutator?
        Start up Alien Swarm, bring up the console and type "open Ao-Rescue?mutator=package.class" (the map is Ao-Rescue in this example).
        Thus, I tried running ao-reactorcore, and entered:

open Ao-Reactorcore?mutator=ISL.u

Didn't work. The correct map started, but still limited to 4 marines. I tried:

open Ao-Reactorcore?mutator=package.class

Still nothing. I'm assuming my syntax is incorrect. Help would be appreciated.

I'd also like to ask if mutators can be used in this way for online coop. Have a pair of 4-man teams for a 2-player game perhaps? Also, is there perhaps a command line arguement that can be added to the AS.exe to always run that mutator every time the game starts up? Or a way to run mutators in campaign mode?

I know, I'm just full of questions. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Preceptor_Teeth
          Still nothing. I'm assuming my syntax is incorrect. Help would be appreciated.

I'd also like to ask if mutators can be used in this way for online coop. Have a pair of 4-man teams for a 2-player game perhaps? Also, is there perhaps a command line arguement that can be added to the AS.exe to always run that mutator every time the game starts up? Or a way to run mutators in campaign mode?
          The package is the name of the .u file, and the class is the mutator name (normally specified in the readme). The syntax in this case is:

> open mapname?mutator=isl.mutmoremarines

Check the original thread to see how to "run" the mutator (Biggie's mutators are never standard ).. Also, if you play around with it i'm sure Big_D will appreciate some feedback.

Big_D's mutator post

You should be able to run it on a campaign as well (Try 'AOL-CampaignLobby' as the map name and maybe add some of the strings given in the server command line -- not tested). I'm not sure if it works online, but to test it just add the package name to the ServerPackages in AlienSwarm.ini and launch the server with the mutator string as above.
          --

Comment

Originally posted by Preceptor_Teeth
            I'd like to suggest adding 'more than 4 marines in SP' to the FAQ, along with the link to that mutator. Certainly would've saved me a lot of time looking through a few thousand posts.
            Added

Comment

Working...
            X