Thoughts on Telic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Telic

Will AS ever be the same? i feel as if the new weapons are, very very ineffective...

-belt-fed AG, startup time and crappy AA, and runs through ammo like a mofo
    -i like the smg, but i've never used the rifles before, so, don't see why now,
    -another key for stims? for shame
    -like snipey rifle, does it go through multiple targets?
    -grenade rifle seems to be pointless for those longer missions, heavy on ammo consumption, and have to be very careful with firing, might be a decent secondary but can't act as primary, and asg + flamer would seem better at clearing messes
    -p-rifle owns carbine pretty badly, the only reason to have a rifle before was to take out far targets, before they could see you, meh
    -i hate instant fire pistols, but can get used to them, again, do they pass through targets?

don't really like the maps, but don't really know them either, that will come in time no? anyway, initial impressions are glum from this corner

Hehe, it's like 6 hours or so from the release and you're dissing it already? Go play more

I didn't get to try it at multiplayer yet, but the new stuff feels (in singleplayer) interesting, very balanced, some of the new stuff feels at first glance a bit useless but maybe they will find some heavy use later on...
    My cats are black! How about yours?

Comment

I think you should give it more of a chance. I agree at first glance the weapons seem worse, it's because they're NEW and harder to use. Once you've mastered them they are very useful and effective.

Originally posted by AlienInvader
      -belt-fed AG, startup time and crappy AA, and runs through ammo like a mofo
      It's more powerful than the autogun, but has a warmup time and slightly less autoaim. It has more knockback (very useful against certain aliens) and a better melee. It's also one of the hardest to master, just look at how much MjrHuRTz dies with it.

-i like the smg, but i've never used the rifles before, so, don't see why now
      You like it but won't use it because you've never used the rifle before... ok, that's your choice. Not really sure what your point is

-another key for stims? for shame
      Why? Because it's different? Try it, it works well, and frees up the extra item slot. I prefer being able to take stuff now

-grenade rifle seems to be pointless for those longer missions, heavy on ammo consumption, and have to be very careful with firing, might be a decent secondary but can't act as primary, and asg + flamer would seem better at clearing messes
      It has a use in nearly every Telic mission, some are very difficult without it. You're right it can't be used as a primary, it's not supposed to be. That's why I laugh when I see every new person join, take only the grenade launcher and blow themselves up when the first alien appears. Watch Donator use it, it's a useful weapon.

-p-rifle owns carbine pretty badly, the only reason to have a rifle before was to take out far targets, before they could see you, meh
      They both have advantages and disadvantages. The P-Rifle has stun grenades and slight autoaim. The Carbine can't miss when locked on, is useful for scouting ahead to show where enemies are before you can see them, is more powerful and uses less ammo. I use the P-Rifle in some missions, and the Carbine in others. They are well balanced.

-i hate instant fire pistols, but can get used to them, again, do they pass through targets?
      Why do you hate instant fire pistols? It makes it easier to hit because you don't have to lead shots. The magnum is more powerful, and has some autoaim, it owns, especially on higher difficulties.

don't really like the maps, but don't really know them either, that will come in time no? anyway, initial impressions are glum from this corner
      You don't like the maps either? The maps are very well made, have new innovative objectives, require teamwork, and look good. It sounds to me like you don't like something new/difficult. I'm surprised you play Alien Swarm at all since this kind of attitude drove most people away from it

Play it some more, then come back in a few weeks.

Comment

I also dislike the new AG I guess I'm just used to the normal AG's wider cone of fire. I haven't gotten to try too many of the other weapons yet, but I have decided that the Shrenk is pretty much useless.
        Based on a true story.
        The prequel.

Comment

Yeah I don't like the Shenk, but someone on the team must have liked it for it to be kept.

I like the mustard though, I always take it over autogun now, it just takes getting used to (and probably a low ping due to the warmup time).

Comment

So, is it "Teel-ic" or "Tell-ic"?

Comment

I've always said Tell-ic, I have no idea what was in other people's heads.

Comment

The hunter rifle, or sniper rifle, whatever you call it... is amazing when you are stimed. I can only imagine the havoc that 4-5 marines in an open space full of aliens could do with these rifles.
                “That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Carth
                  I'm surprised you play Alien Swarm at all since this kind of attitude drove most people away from it.
                  I thought it was boredom due to the lack of maps, lack of good servers and oafish behaviour of some players that drove them away. Easy difficulty is there for a reason.

Comment

Ah, it's you

Edit: sorry I don't know what came over me then, shouldn't we be arguing?
                    Last edited by Carth; 16 Dec 2005, 11:00 PM.

Comment

My impression on Telic:
                      Way... too... hard...

(It'll make for interesting Insane runs, eventually, tho)
                      Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepQantas
                        (It'll make for interesting Insane runs, eventually, tho)
                        Give it two weeks

Comment

Btw for those who are a bit sceptical of the new stuff, when Alien Swarm was first released people said it was too dependent on heavies (autogunners), and the explosives class was useless. A few weeks/months later general opinion changed to be that the explosives class was the best - people had mastered it (or got better at not killing each other).

Weapons like the assault shotgun, normal shotgun and pistol were seen as pretty useless, and the only person who could do the killing was the autogunner

Comment

Originally posted by DON'T PANIC
                            The hunter rifle, or sniper rifle, whatever you call it... is amazing when you are stimed. I can only imagine the havoc that 4-5 marines in an open space full of aliens could do with these rifles.
                            That'd be great, assuming I remember to hit my stim key. I always hit the F key and then die. I really wish the stims were selectable as an extra item still... in addition to the bonus stim every marine gets

One thing I do like about Telic is the way they turned the Autogunners into TK machines. I saw one autogunner with the mustard rifle mow down the other 5 marines in about 5 seconds on easy.
                            Based on a true story.
                            The prequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Bunny
                              That'd be great, assuming I remember to hit my stim key. I always hit the F key and then die. I really wish the stims were selectable as an extra item still... in addition to the bonus stim every marine gets
                              I hit my new stim key and get no stim when not playing Telic, so you'll get used to it

Comment

Working...
                              X