Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sigma Campaign: Hell and Back (or: A n00b's narrative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma Campaign: Hell and Back (or: A n00b's narrative)

Sigma Campaign.

Two words.

Two words that send a shiver down my spine everytime I hear 'em.

Funny, ain’t it, the effect two words can have?

Name's Wolfe, and I’ve been to Hell. Now I’m back to tell the story.

I’m an Ortego Dimari ISAF Space Marine. Each and everyone of us a one man army unto himself. Ever seen any of the nasty shit out in space, that’d love to rip you a new one? Probably not, ‘cause it’s our job to kill ‘em before they get you. We’re the one thing that stands between you and extinction.

Sigma campaign. Always those two words, it all starts there. As in Sarge tellin’ us: “OK, boys, time to lock and load. Sigma and Delta outpost have been overrun by bugs, and they’re sending us marines in to clear the shit out. We get Sigma Campaign. Remember, we're the best of the best -- that's why they're sending us. But I’ll be honest with you: It’s still gonna be a rough ride.” Damn. If only he'd known.

The ship drops us off just outside the facility on the backwater piece of shit planet they built Sigma Outpost on. The whole place is dark as hell 'cause the place is on automatic shutdown in response to the attack. Only the annoying red lights are pulsating to warn us that the shit has hit the fan. Yeah, like we didn’t know already.

“OK, boys, time to head in!” shouts Sarge and lights a cigar. Him an’ his fuckin’ cigars. Who the hell smokes in the Marines nowadays anyway? You wanna get some kicks, you bust a fuckin’ stim pack. Quicker, easier, faster. Man, do we all love that shit. Except Sarge. He’s old school; he loves his cigars.

We hear nothin’ except the familiar hissing of pneumatics in our power suits as we approach the closed door. It’s been sealed shut, but Crash whips out his gear and after a few seconds we’re all standing inside, ready to chew gum and kick ass.

And whaddaya know? Turned out we were all outta ass.

Fucking bugs.

But more about that later.

And that's why you should never play on Easy. The noobs get cocky.
    Your order has been dispatched!

Comment

That's a promising story, I want more!
      --

Comment

~FAITH was squirming all over the place by now and had her hand
        wrapped around FLYNN's P-RIFLE, jacking him up and down and finally taking his P-RIFLE fully into her open mouth. SARGE looked at her sucking his P-RIFLE and watching the white girl on the video tape trying to get of that PARASITE into her mouth.

Comment

Nice story Naidel, let's hear some more.

Nanj: Yours is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanj
            ~FAITH was squirming all over the place by now and had her hand
            wrapped around FLYNN's P-RIFLE, jacking him up and down and finally taking his P-RIFLE fully into her open mouth. SARGE looked at her sucking his P-RIFLE and watching the white girl on the video tape trying to get of that PARASITE into her mouth.
            fook! dont stop there!

Comment

Man thats a good opening Naidel. I cant wait to here more .

Oh yes and Nanj you can right the sex saens for him
              WhichDoctor + online = Mr_Shine

We put our faith in BLASH HARDCHEESE!

Comment

Likely one of the hardest pieces of fiction to write alltogether: an Alien Swarm lemon that doesn't sound totally ridiculous

Comment

You sure that's proper use of the word "lemon" here?

Comment

Yes, absolutely.

A lemon is a fanfic that takes existing characters and puts them in adult situations. The standard lemon plot consists of two characters getting together and having sex. Sometimes more than two characters. But always, it's characters getting together and having sex. Nothing more.

An unusual lemon is one that actually has a story line between all the sex, making the sex seem like a natural part of the story, rather than the be all and end all of the 'fic.

Comment

I know the definition - just checking.

Comment

Mission 1

The smoke from Sarge’s cigar is thick around his head as he speaks. “OK, boys, guess it’s finally time for some action. According to intel, this place is soon gonna be overrun by bugs. Meanwhile, the reactor is overheating. Soon she’s gonna blow. Our mission is to open the two coolant release valves before that shit happens.” Him and his fuckin’ cigars. “Jaeger’s team is going in. My team will secure this perimeter. Intel says the bugs haven’t gotten here yet, so we’ll keep the heat off your backs. Stay sharp and kill anything that moves. Move out, marines!”

“Jaeger’s team” means me, Jaeger, Crash and Faith. We’re the new guys so we get to do the dirty work. Between the four of us, Jaeger and me are the only ones with any real combat experience. Sure, Crash maybe ran a few combat sims in training, but that just won’t cut it. You can’t simulate real panic, simulate being so fuckin’ scared of a swarm of bugs you’re nearly pissin’ your pants when they charge you. Faith is fresh outta med school – lookin’ at her, you’d be surprised if she’s even held a gun before.

It ain’t dark inside, but the place still creeps the shit outta us. The newbies are obviously scared. I’m not telling, but I sure as hell know where they’re comin’ from. Something just ain’t right. The lights are flickering like some bad horror movie, and we can hear strange muffled noises coming through the air vents. The Plant even smells like shit. What the hell have the bugs been up to?

I keep my finger on the trigger, ready to let her rip anything jumping out of the shadows to pieces, but nothing happens. It smells like shit, we hear weird noises, and the lights are flickering… but nothing happens.

So we start to relax.

Yeah, I know. Bad move.

We make our way to the power plant’s valve room, and find it full of eggs. Swarm eggs: huge, slimy sacks of shit, nursing the parasites that would like nothing better than to infest our guts and eat our brains out. I fucking hate them. Everyone does.

After we blast ‘em all to hell, we activate the release valves.

“Too easy,” complains Crash.

Pencil-pusher geek. He fucking thinks too much. “Shut up,” I tell him. “Mission fuckin’ accomplished. Time to celebrate. Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.”

I pop a stim, and damn if it ain’t the best thing that’s happened to me today. I’m jacked on shit and God is my bitch.

Crash frowns and Faith looks appalled. Damn newbies, believing everything they’re told. ISAF regulation says stims mess with your system and cause ‘grievous internal damage from excessive use’ so ‘undue treatment is prohibited’ but that’s just bureaucrat bullshit to keep us grunts from messin’ around with their pricey stuff.

Then we hear it. Blip blip blip from the scanner. It means aliens. Fuckin’ party poopers.

“I got movement!” Crash shouts and the scanner goes bitching haywire.

Then they come rushing at us.

The fuck? The bugs were supposed to be outside. Sarge was supposed to keep ‘em off our backs. But it doesn’t matter – no time for thinking. We start shooting. It’s time to kill or die.

And Jaeger dies.

Fuck! My Autogun makes short work of the bugs that took him down – I kill ‘em as they come rushing at me. Splat, and I get bug slime all over my face. Maybe there’s some blood too. Goddamn human blood.

I try to wipe the shit outta my eyes, and see Crash and Faith just standing. Panicked. Frozen. Bug-eyed, ogling me like some damn retards. It’s like it’s fuckin’ surreal. Like they think the shit ain’t happening.

Only it is.

And we’re dying.

“MARINE DOWN!” I growl at them, and it seems to work. They snap outta it, and Faith rushes to Jaeger’s corpse hoping to revive him. She doesn’t know, but it’s too late. The bugs pick their victim and make sure it goes down. They never move on until they’ve made their kill.

Kill or die.

That’s how it works for everyone. Marines, bugs – it doesn’t fuckin’ matter. We’re all killing machines.

The scanner goes wild again; another wave is coming at us and it’s even more of ‘em this time.

I shoot another stim into my system.

Kill or die, motherfuckers.

Comment

Good to read, I think you found the right tone.
                          I sure like it, though, as a non-native-speaker, I am not sure about some of the slang. But I can feel it, and it feels good. Keep going, please!

Just one part didn't fit I think. Collided with how I imagened our marines to be like. Your Wolfe says 'Faith is fresh outta med school – lookin’ at her, you’d be surprised if she’s even held a gun before.' Then, later, 'damn newbies'.

Fits to Crash fine, especially when an ex-convict talks about a computer freak. But thats really not what I imagined Faith to be like.

In her bio it reads that she 'has seen a lot of action in service', she is two years older than our wolfe, and, hark, she is a corporal!
                          While wolfe is only a private, not even first class...

Good to read, as I say, your story, but I stumbled over this one.

Not asking you to change it, of course. But maybe, if other guys felt the same about the point (opinions, pls!), you could at least consider doing that? 'To keep things consistent', as they say?

Would be OK if you made the point a bit stronger at that passage, that this is just what wolfe thinks.

I mean, its OK when he thinks that he maybe can't trust her when it gets really hot. Maybe because of that odd habit of just bringing a pistol, beside the satchels. Or maybe he thinks 'A med corporal, bah!', or whatever.
                          But 'Fresh outta med school' just doesnt work. At least it didnt do for me.

'Review it or not' is an old question amongst the romanciers, maybe we shouldnt get into that. So lets say I just wanted to let you know my spontaneous reaction to reading your stuff.
                          Don't want to hold up your creative process, or something, of course, may Whoever-is-in-charge prevent that. And if no one feels 'bout this like I do, just forget it and get another
                          Last edited by lightfoot; 6 Aug 2006, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Very good, gripping, it really sounds like its wolf telling it.

Originally posted by lightfoot
                            Just one part didn't fit I think. Collided with how I imagened our marines to be like. Your Wolfe says 'Faith is fresh outta med school – lookin’ at her, you’d be surprised if she’s even held a gun before.' Then, later, 'damn newbies'.

Fits to Crash fine, especially when an ex-convict talks about a computer freak. But thats really not what I imagined Faith to be like.

In her bio it reads that she 'has seen a lot of action in service', she is two years older than our wolfe, and, hark, she is a corporal!
                            While wolfe is only a private, not even first class...
                            Is she, I always thought of Faith as quite young and Wolf as an older vet. Ill have to go back and reed the bio's again.
                            But this dues give you the interesting situation of that Wolf, not the most sympathetic character, is now responsible for getting the two newbies out alive.
                            It wouldn't be as interesting if an experienced faith took command. Sins she is more sensible and cool headed.
                            It mite not be that accurate but a good bit of artistic license.

But then again I thought the Ortego ISAF Space Marines were special forces and there for would all have some combat experience, but then they mite not for tecks a medics i don't know.
                            WhichDoctor + online = Mr_Shine

We put our faith in BLASH HARDCHEESE!

Comment

Working...
                            X