Hack tool needed / Mission failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hack tool needed / Mission failed

I have posted a parallel thread starter in the Maps Part about this. About maps you cannot start without hacker or tool, which shouldn't be. Or that time you out, though you could be able to finish it still.

Could be fixed by reviewing the maps, of course. If the mapper liked to, or would allow it being done. Thats the other thread.

And that 'cant start game without tool' function could be altered, could be made less strict. Maybe it could even be turned off, I mean, to just giving advice. The 'This mission requires a tech marine ...' message could just be a part of the objectives description in briefing, then. And players would know that they need the hacker or tool to beat the map in any normal way...

At least this much should be done, i think. If hacker dies, all players get the 'mission failed...' message. They should, at least.
    What is the countdown good for, then, the timeout?

If there has to be a countdown (and I dont think so) then why not show it counting?

And most important, make the countdown stop when a player finds a hacking tool!

I tend to just have the countdown be dropped. If the 'no tech alive/mission failed' message is loud and clear, and if all players get it, that will do. If they think they know better, and can still do it, let them try.
    Last edited by lightfoot; 4 Aug 2006, 12:12 PM.

There isn't actually a countdown for a restart when the tech dies, it's that the leader gets a little pop-up saying "no tech marine: mission failed" or something similar. The pop-up can be used as a button to restart the mission as well.
    Based on a true story.
    The prequel.

Comment

Well, you could do what me and salsa* did the other night, we had jaeger and faith high stars and got too navigation... i took flynn and shot him at the start, easily does it, mission won

*He says some strange crap ingame, but he's good at what he does
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
        *He says some strange crap ingame, but he's good at what he does
        Precisely: I'm good at dragon fanaticism.

That's a fun word to say... "Fanaticism". The hard C sound of "fanatic" is just, like, gone.

Comment

@FuzzyBunny: just checked that. It doesn't do it in single. I didn't know that.

But on a server, I have been timed out many times, due to no hacker alive. It restarts automatically after a time.

Dont have the time to try now, but I remember having found this out on Navigation, too, when killing the hacker I just needed to get the mission started. I took my time for the mission, and it auto-restarted.

Happened several times, but I dont remember having stopped the time between hacker's death and forced restart, I wanted to do that but forgot.

X said he had it on Sulfure, too. So not only me had that, and I didnt hallucinate.

Comment

You're just making stuff up now. You can wait as long as you want from the hacker's death to mission completion. How else was I able to do that Insane Rambo with Wildcat on Navigation that took a staggering 9 minutes 16 seconds? Granted, that was a slightly older version, but it wouldn't make much sense for BCG to impose a time limit when they know hack tools are occasionally stashed in the level.

The restarts are likely a result of someone accidentally hitting the restart button, impatience, or lack of education.

Comment

Or a web badmin.
              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

you cant mean that.

Ah, you think I accidentally hit that 'retry' button popping up when the hacker dies?

Yes, could be. uh oh.

If that is the case, and I will check that, then the mistake was mine, and I'd have this thread forgotten the sooner the better.

Comment

It has happened to me also.
                  I was playing sulfure,the first version with faith and bastille.
                  Faith was carring the hacktool and when she died i got that message saying no hacker alive.
                  I took hacktool and continued the mission and after alot of time, cant remeber how much, maybe 10 or more minutes, the mission was restarted without hiting that popup.
                  I dunno what happened.
                  We talked about that some day with lightfoot and we asummed that some kind of timer must be in effect.
                  Thats all.

Comment

wasn't able to make it happen again, so it seems you are right, fuzzy, salsa, no timer.

wrong theory, then. lets just forget that part, ok?

still, it does behave strangely, doesn't it. why does that 'mission failed' message sometimes appear twice, one on top of the other?
                    why does it appear at all, if a hack tool carrier dies? why the 'retry' button in the first place, if leader can restart game anytime anyway? nothing critical, of course, all this.

The restarts are likely a result of someone accidentally hitting the restart button, impatience, or lack of education.
                    salsa, I was more, hmm, shocked about the possibility of that theory of mine being totally misled, than taking insult. I thought about whether to comment on that or not, for some time, which is too long, and decided I better don't.

Comment

Try this: get online and take a single marine, then suicide him and pull up the escape menu and choose restart before the end mission screen pops up. It'll hopefully hang on long enough for the stats to load. Click the restart mission button as fast as you can and watch as it magically disappears.
                      Based on a true story.
                      The prequel.

Comment

Originally posted by lightfoot
                        salsa, I was more, hmm, shocked about the possibility of that theory of mine being totally misled, than taking insult. I thought about whether to comment on that or not, for some time, which is too long, and decided I better don't.
                        Pardon?

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
                          easily does it, mission won
                          Did I mention the queen killed me
                          Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Working...
                          X