Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding flashlights to all soldiers without using equipment slots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding flashlights to all soldiers without using equipment slots?

I just downloaded the Telic campaign. I didn't bother to spend any equipment slots on flashlights or the like which apparently was a bad idea since the level was very dark. Now, my question is if it's possible to mod the game so that all marines automatically have a flashlight (preferably without autoaim) and without it taking up an equipment slot?

I would first like to point out that it is only a small section of the level that is very dark, and only before you reactivate the power.

Since I've never heard of any such mods, might I suggest the use of flares in the meantime? Well-placed flares will provide light for all marines, so only a minimal amount of slots need be used up by taking them.

Comment

Turning up the contrast/gamma doesnt effect gameplay
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

You probably beat that map by now, using Salsa's tip.

Or by other means, like flashlight, helmet lamp, flamer usage, stungrenades... or something else that I can't think of, but some other guy does, maybe, that works even better.

There sure are some other ways to beat that dark aquaeduct passage, but I just thought 'hey, dont spoil them the fun to find out by themselves!'

Whoever tries beating that, will fail a couple of times, but if he don't let that bother him, and persistently tries again, WILL find a way to beat it. That's all the fun, isnt it?

Flares can be really good, especially when used in a team. Pistol medic will be thankful and maybe has more time for the healing job, if you throw her/him some flares, when a wave of bugs is incoming. Will give him/her the capacity to effectively cover a certain area, too. Mighty piece of equipmeant, in some cases. (Ah, those times when they burned for eternities!)

Those default armour flashlight is NOT useless, you could say, not just cosmetic, at least it helps you realise in which direction the marine looks, i.e., aims.

If there were better flashlights, wouldnt that just insomuch take the tension out of those dark passages like that in Aquaeduct, or, say, that storage room in Rescue? And lessen the worth of those other light-related items?

Comment

Originally posted by lightfoot
          Those default armour flashlight is NOT useless, you could say, not just cosmetic, at least it helps you realise in which direction the marine looks, i.e., aims.
          No. Its only usful for saying "Hey noob go this way!".
          Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Yeah, I beat it by having three marines equipped with flashlights. I would have taken four but someone had to carry around the welder..

I agree it might take a little away from the tension if the flashlight was standard issue but I prefer to have it somewhat realistic. Realistic you say? Well, it's a matter of "suspension of disbelief" for me. I can take the aliens and spacecraft, hell, even the autotracking guns (it's the future after all)! It all makes me fell like being in the movie Aliens. But highly trained marines with state of the art equipment who venture into pitch black buildings without any means to see in the dark quickly brings me to the fact that it's a game and that the darkness is there simply to make it harder for me to beat.

Add that to the fact that the flashlight looks cool (some scenes look like the drawings from the Space Hulk rulebook if anyone remembers)! I often add the flashlight whenever I don't need anything else just because I like the effect when I pan the surroundings with the flashlight.

Comment

The flashlight mutator would be more usful if you could make a it to hide the flashlight but still get its effects(AA).
              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Narog
                But highly trained marines with state of the art equipment who venture into pitch black buildings without any means to see in the dark quickly brings me to the fact that it's a game and that the darkness is there simply to make it harder for me to beat.
                The Eyes get used to the dark, there is still enough (actually more than enough) light in buildings/spacestations/etc to spot movement and other things. And for Depot documents or similar, you always have your emergency shoulderlamp.

What I really wish is a way to keep the atmosphere of the hallways, while being able to see the items on the ground/bugs.
                -Increasing gamma to a certain extent really helps. (ruins the colors pretty quickly though)
                -Flashlight: Well the Flashlight would really need an option to shut it off/on.
                If I can chose to have a flashlight all the time or never, I would chose never, just because it irritates very often not only you but the whole squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Narog
                  But highly trained marines with state of the art equipment who venture into pitch black buildings without any means to see in the dark quickly brings me to the fact that it's a game and that the darkness is there simply to make it harder for me to beat.
                  I'd like the flashlights (and nightscopes and flares) to be made realistic, or at least up to date with current technology.

I demand:
                  No 10 second limit on nightvision and helmetlamp, flares to last alot longer.
                  A shoulder/weapon mounted flashlight about as powerful as a modern LED penlight. I.e. useful illumination range about 5 meters, plus limited beam width.
                  An equipable flashlight about as powerful as a modern cavers lamp.

I would like:
                  Flashlights shone into eyes to mess with teammates vision, putting something not unlike the infected flashing screen up when blinded.
                  On/Off button for lights (new key bind).
                  Autoaim to only work for your lamp, not other lightsources. Put the beam onto the target, press fire seems realistic.
                  Flashlights to attract bugs.
                  Bugs to try to avoid lit areas.
                  The occasion lamp problem in damp environments.

Comment

gameplay > realism..

There are some good ideas, but whether or not a flashlight/flares lasts forever, or for a short amount of time isn't about being realistic, it's about the gameplay it creates. In Doom3 your flashlight never ran out, but you could only use it when you didn't have a gun equipped. In Half-Life your flashlight could be used at the same time as guns, but it used your suit's power. I think there has to a compromise somewhere, because running around a dark game with a permanent flashlight on with no drawbacks isn't fun if you ask me.

Comment

In quake 4 it lasts forever on a reasonalby crap gun;

I would like:
                      Flashlights shone into eyes to mess with teammates vision, putting something not unlike the infected flashing screen up when blinded.
                      High tech helmets with filters!
                      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

How about some duct tape to tape the flashlight to your gun? God knows there are enough ducts in ASw that there must be some tape somewhere!

Quack! Quack!
                        Last edited by Ran-bot; 9 Aug 2006, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X