• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UArchitect
    replied
    Originally posted by Nurbs View Post
    BFG
    havent had all the time to read all of the post, but if you are in need of a bfg weapon for swarm i already made one for elvis tournament, i dont mind lending it if you ever do start making a map that needs it ;P

its red though, way cooler!...i was thinking of blue too...and also yellow...but i couldnt decide, so i also added a multicolored disco mode!

Leave a comment:

• NoData
    replied
    The NoData's riffle! Pretty funny! Blame the Telic Corporation, not me!

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Bunny
    replied
    I actually had a more in-depth post than the one that I made where I mentioned the origins of "NoData's rifle" and how easy it would to make another. Sadly, it was lost when I accidentally hit the back button.

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    hehe, my finger's were itching to comment on that, but then I heard a voice saying I may have given away too many secrets already.

nurbs, if you ever see this ugly creature, and you will, give it a good shotgun blast for me. and for great justice.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lightfoot; 20th Apr 2007, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Donator
    replied
    Drone is easy, just copy some sentrygun code and hard attach some emitter or other deco to your marine. Extra armor is simple in theory, there's even some leftover code for it in AoMarine, but it's commented out: which means you need to modify the AoMarine base class, say, it's not doable without a new custom gameinfo. Blargh. Coding a defibrilator is by far the biggest challenge imho, I'd forget about it right away. Btw,

After playing sulfure, I really like NoDatas rifle
    I smell a copyright infringement lawsuit there

Leave a comment:

• Nurbs
    replied
    Thanks for the help guys, and ya i can code, i just loath it. And by loath it...i reallly hate to do it. It WILL take the longest part out of anything.

As far as the drone/armor/ and defib....ya those are going to be interesting, the defibulator i think is going to be the hardest.
    But who knows, I could have a eureka right off the bat (all signs point to prolly not)

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    I read about a 'personal drone' or something like that for UT2k4. A small bot hovering around your head, assisting you.

I mean, someone coded that already. Could be worth looking into, at least.

About the procedure needed in general: to make a custom gun work right in Alien Swarm, you will need several subclasses of Alienswarm actors.

To test out if a certain weapon would be worth the work, you could use the UT mutator. A LOT of custom guns out there do work, but they just don't fit, style-wise. or story-wise. or out of gameplay reasons. or they just don't look good enough in overhead view.

Just keep in mind that if the developers would think a certain weapon is useful for their game, they would have coded and implemented it.

There is the BCG mapping tips for Alien Swarm, but on the coding side, apart from some bits of information scattered in this forum, you will have to rely on the vast documentation about modding Unreal that is out there for you to find.

And I guess if you have a nice map prepared, it will rapidly increase the willingness of the coders to help.

Anyway, good luck with the project. And welcome to the forum, nurbs!

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Bunny
    replied
    Renders are nice, but can you code any of these weapons? I think that's more what Donator was getting at. Coding a gun that has the normal rifle model and does what you want is more useful than making a model and realizing that you can't get it to work right.

I think most of these weapons and items would be doable. The armour, defribulator, and droid sound like they'd be the hardest to get to work though. For the BFG, I suggest taking a look at U4E. They have a working BFG. You might have a look at their anti-gravity gun, it overheats.

Leave a comment:

• Nurbs
    replied

cool, ill have some renders up in a few days.
    Last edited by Nurbs; 19th Apr 2007, 04:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Donator
    replied
    I strongly suggest you just go ahead and try if you're actually capable of realising any of your above ideas before you waste too much time with planning, that's what I attempted to point out with my previous post. Saves you some man hours.

Leave a comment:

• Nurbs
    replied
    Ill run out and buy a 150$ scanner pronto....
    Your missing the point i think, im asking if "you" the player think these would be worthwhile additions to a map, or if you could see noteable exploits etc.

Im just trying to save myself some man hours.

Mind you, this is still all pre production, and everything is draw out and wrote down in a sketch book, things will change and nothing is set in stone.

Leave a comment:

• Donator
    replied
    Having a proof of concept is what seperates the people that are taken serious from, well... you get the idea...

Leave a comment:

• Nurbs
    replied
    Hehe, its all good.
    The map i plan on creating is going to be a long single mission. I would like to aim at something a tab bit larger then sulfre(only thing i can relate to in size). There will be 5 main objectives with 3-4 optional (optional objectives are going to be a lill bit harder to finish, but will be worth it. I just wanted to get some feedback on additions before i start to model anything out.

Leave a comment:

• westy
    replied
    Originally posted by Felix View Post
    oh, you read it all?
    Yeah, I stopped reading at BFG.

Sorry Nurbs, I'm just a grumpy fundamentalist AS player.

Leave a comment:

• Felix
    replied
    Originally posted by DeadorK View Post
    He said objectives. Not many dm maps have "objectives".
    oh, you read it all?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X