New Alien Swarm map in design phase; question for the devs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Alien Swarm map in design phase; question for the devs

I'm designing a map for Alien Swarm based on the movie Pitch Black. Your squad of marines has crash landed on an uncharted planet cloaked in near total darkness by an eclipse. You must investigate the area to find out what happened to the mining colony established there, then escape on an emergency shuttle.

The level will mostly be exterior/terrain and will include the crashed transport ship, the boneyard, and the mining camp. I'm also making custom static meshes to use in it, and this is where my question comes in.

For the sake of objectives I'm altering the original story a bit. The part of the marine's spacecraft that contained the power cells broke away from the main hull during entry into the atmosphere and crashed elsewhere (in the boneyard, in fact). Your first objective is to explore the boneyard and retrieve the power cells.

I intend to model a power cell pickup for this purpose. I'm not sure how to go about getting it into my map as part of an objective however. I want the player to find the cells and pick them up. It would be nice if the power cell took up the primary or secondary equipment slot, forcing the players to choose their weapons wisely and remaining somewhat realisitic. There will be three or four cells. The objective will be completed when all of the cells are in the squad's possession.

What I need to know is how to make an Alien Swarm pickup actor with my custom power cell mesh and have it work as I described above. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    My UT2004 maps
    Ao-BugCity

I think that it will be far easier to not make it part of the inventory.... And what if only one or two marines is left alive? Throw away all their guns in order to carry the cells?

Comment

Dude? Multiple trips.

@ Rehevkor - Great work; I've started tinkering with some maps of my own, but I've never mapped in UT before, so it'll be awhile. Great to see such rapid work!

Comment

Originally posted by [theDAN]
        Dude? Multiple trips.
        He did say that the objectiv would be complete once all the cells was in the squads possesion...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
          He did say that the objectiv would be complete once all the cells was in the squads possesion...
          My apologies; I thought they were to be taken somewhere. You're right; this needs fix I think.

Comment

I really like the idea. Reminds me quite a bit about The Dig. And I think the medic might be perfect for carrying this power cell, since he might run out of med quite fast in the boneyard/mining camp.

Comment

Sounds like an awsome idea Rehevkor. Is there a chance that you have any screens of this new map o_0?
              Aww man... no image sigs...

Comment

A bit off topic...

Are they making a form of sequel to the movie 'Pitch-Black'? I saw a trailer for a movie (can't remember the name) and my friend and I both looked at each other any thought it looked like the same character - the dude with the shiny eyes, from Pitch Black...

btw that movie was cool and this map will be great for a bit of flare and flashlight action! Good Luck.
                .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

The Chronicles of RIDDICK
                  Black Cat Games
                  ThieveryUT
                  Alien Swarm

Comment

Originally posted by Tak3r
                    Sounds like an awsome idea Rehevkor. Is there a chance that you have any screens of this new map o_0?
                    I haven't actually started it yet (design phase). I'll be sure to post lots of work in progress shots when I get into it though

About the cells, the squad will need to have all of the cells when they reach the end of the mission. I may either cut the number of cells or remove the requirement to have them go into weapon slots. Either way I need to know how to do it *hint hint*

I do like the idea of multiple trips though. Good opportunity for continuous spawns
                    My UT2004 maps
                    Ao-BugCity

Comment

kewl , new maps
                      a bit off topic but me and some friends had a map idea (were BIG natural selection fans) so were thinkin about a map designed after one of the great NS maps
                      objectives would be to kill 3 hives.
                      anyways hope to see more customs for this mod

Comment

Let me know how your terrain goes, mine is being very odd!
                        www.utskills.com
                        #Swarm.Pickup on irc.quakenet.org -=Official Alien Swarm Pickup Channel Powerd by Multiplay.co.uk=-
                        #UTSkills on irc.quakenet.org

Comment

Also, is it possible to trigger a weather effect on when the player enters an area? Say with a normal Trigger actor?
                          My UT2004 maps
                          Ao-BugCity

Comment

So when do we get so see some work in progress screens ?

Comment

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to include new game objects, using the original weapon/item code you should be able to make new ones and include the code, model etc etc in the map file.
                              Important posts: Loadout screen:Scoreboard:Tutorial:Voicechat:Grenade aim:Upgrade points:Auto-reload
                              - Kalias

Comment

Working...
                              X