Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communitymap: AO-WeaponFacility [Beta]

Hey there!

Second Beta of the community map "Weapon Facility" is out. Test it and post your thoughts. Thanks

[No screenshots yet. Sry]

Mapname: AO-WeaponFacility
    CurrentVersion: 0.92 Beta
    Author: JenoLT
    Download: Click here!

[Beta 0.9 -> Beta 0.92]
    Changelist:
    - Slight changes in lighting (if it's still to bright, just tell me)
    - Slight changes in difficulty
    - Added bot pathing
    - Added AlienNavSpots
    - Unstucked parasite
    - Opened third objective room (run into it to complete objective) / known problem: Fire won't hurt
    - Slightly changed third objective
    - Changed the two 90آ° corners
    - Used special lit on some doors and added projectors to those

Known problems:
    - Fire in the last room doesn't hurt
    - Not enough static meshes in the map
    - bots don't like autoclosing doors (if those are just closing bots won't follow you)
    Last edited by JenoLT; 13 Jun 2004, 01:44 PM.

This is a nice map, and refreshingly well lit for a change

It shows that you haven't done alien pathing yet - the aliens just stay in the rooms trying to attack you through the wall, but hey they do that on Black Cat's maps too. It was nice to find ammo lying around for a change (I suppose weapon facility suggests you might find some lying around )

I didn't actually finish it just now - everyone on my team died instantly the moment I completed the last objective, I didn't see what happened to them, I think the AI is just bad. With some sentries, mines and planning I could probably do it. I'd rather play it online really because I hate the way I have to tell each AI character what to do or they mess up (they seemed to enjoy not following me on this map, probably the bot pathing like you said).

Just thought I'd tell you my first thoughts. Good work

Comment

Yeah, i didn't implement any pathings yet. That causes the bots to stay behind corners if you run around those quickly (they want to walk to you in a linear way). The same thing goes for aliens, too. I think i will go for bot pathing soon.

Another thing i need to correct is the spawning of those aliens: at the moment they just pop up in the rooms, looks a bit odd when a marine holds this room. I should create some grates like those ones used in barracks, i think. We'll see.

Those two things had as a result that your AI fellows died instantly. I think they couldn't follow you properly and kept standing in a spawning area. After you completed the the objective the spawners were triggered and those aliens popped up just in front of your bots. They can't stand such a horde

About lighting: This map is bright in the first half, and a bit darker in the second half. Shouldn't be such a problem, though.

Oh, and thanks for your comment, Carth

Comment

Originally posted by JenoLT
        They can't stand such a horde
        Unless the alien crosses their path in front of them, they just don't bother shooting One alien from behind can cripple a bot, that's why I prefer online play.

About lighting: This map is bright in the first half, and a bit darker in the second half. Shouldn't be such a problem, though.
        No wasn't a problem, I liked the brightness of the reception area since it seems like no lights are very functional at all in the official campaign maps. Once I went further in I had to flare some areas out.

Comment

And having finished the mission everything worked as expected, only problem was pathing, like you said.

Comment

Thats good
            Hopefully others comment, too

Comment

Nice, Jeno. Fun to play. I noticed the bugs get stuck in a few places, you need to make use of the AlienNavSpots and blocking volumes to guide them around things. It always helps if you avoid making U shaped deco where the aliens could get stuck inside.

Couple of things I noticed - I couldn't tell when the doors were open or not, you really need to carve out space above the door so the player can see the status of it from above.

I shot the final door open, but it only opened half way and I couldn't get through to finish the weapons objective.

Comment

I liked it; probably the best fan-made map I've played so far. The office-style setting was cool, though I think you might want to play around with the lighting balance a bit. It seems very bright in places (e.g. the reception area) and very dark in others. Could be a bit more atmospheric. The bugs and occasionally the marines got stuck too, as people have said. Also, I thought there was maybe a bit too much ammo lying about relative to the bugs (I didn't need to use my ammo bag once) although I confess I played on 'Easy'. :p

Oh, and Dalai - I don't think you need to actually get through the door to finish the final objective.

Comment

Dalai:
                  1) Aliens get stuck, yeah. I haven't used any pathing actors (or navspots) in this map yet.

2) Space above doors? I carved out a little, but i think you're right: it wasn't enough. I'll have a look at that, too.

3) That room isn't finished yet. The door will never open, the objective is finished when the mover is activated. After activating it the room is set on fire (perhaps a computer noticed the intruders? I think i have to create a nice computer voice there)... but i don't know yet, what to do with the door so everybody understands that it won't open... any ideas?

Padders:
                  Easy? No comment :p

I think this map could be an introductory map for a fan-made campaign, perhaps i start a project like that. result: it should be a bit "easier" for people and they should be able to use more ammo than the amount given from their equipment

And to both of you: Thanks for the nice comments

Comment

I haven't tried it yet I'm going to work right now!
                    I will be hosting some games on this map on my clan server though for everyone to test it out...

If you guys want to join in the fun, It will start at around 14:00 pm eastern time(gmt-5)
                    If it gets full I will host a 2nd server.
                    Just refresh the servers on internet and you will see the server name is "The - sIX - clan Alien Swarm Server"

See you there!

Comment

I think this map could be an introductory map for a fan-made campaign, perhaps i start a project like that.
                      Yes I was going to say it is quite a short map on its own, but would fit well into a campaign.

Originally posted by Padders
                      Also, I thought there was maybe a bit too much ammo lying about relative to the bugs (I didn't need to use my ammo bag once) although I confess I played on 'Easy'. :p
                      Well don't take an ammo bag into a weapons facitlity :p. Take sentries to cover you on the way out.

Originally posted by Padders
                      I think you might want to play around with the lighting balance a bit. It seems very bright in places (e.g. the reception area) and very dark in others.
                      You could make the lights in the reception area fail when you have completed the final objective - it could fit in with the room on fire and the computer voice saying something like "system failure, evacuate the building", or "system lockdown, all employees evacuate the building".

Comment

or GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN F00... Just a thought...
                        "A True Hero isn't measured by the size of his sword but by the Size of his Heart" - Life Motto

"I'm not a TKer. I'm just an alien in desguise" - AS Motto

Happy Webmaster of The Final Quandary

Comment

Its a good map, if the pathing issues are resolved.

As of now Carth, angel-of-six and I are playtesting this on insane, drop by if you can..

-Aeawen

Comment

Carth: I thought that, too - and something like activating power for lights in the beginning... but i think you won't like the map then. If you want to turn on/off lights, you need dynamiclighting... and it's just TERRIBLE in UT2k4 (throw a flare against a wall and it will shine through it [flares use dynamic lighting])

And the second thing: dynamic lighting doesn't use any bumpmapping -> textures look plain, flat and unsharp. I won't use it

Comment

Ok we played the map on easy,normal,hard, insane and then carnage/insane...
                              we completed easy normal and hard very easily...all you need is sarge or jaeger with mines and flamethrowers...
                              on insane it got a bit more tricky had to be a bit more careful...carnage was the same but it was pretty easy nonetheless...
                              if you want my 2 cents I think you should add some SURPRISE PARASITES...there arent any parasites that can be dangerous if you are careful...maybe those on sides of the main corridor after hacking but still...also the parasite in the left corridor of the map is stuck he can not get out of the box so he cant catch anyone...The last spawn is very easy to deal with mines just stay there and they will all come to you...I think you should make aliens drop out of side walls a bit in the big corridor where the behemoth is...
                              Also the rooms with the 2 big spiders are way too easy to conquer...you should add parasites or aliens in there too...
                              Also maybe make it so we can go into the special weapons room?
                              BTW your map is very cool im criticizing so it can just become unbeleivable
                              There is also a bug with aliens stuck behind doors on both places where you gotta hack...
                              Of course you already know the pathing needs to be worked cuz aliens get stuck a bit everywhere and in solo when I gave my fellas orders to follow they get stuck too...

Overall very good map, need to work on the pathing and add more stuff to make it more difficult, but it was pretty nice! We had a hell of a great time and we will play it more!

Comment

Working...
                              X