Map making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map making

I was curious if anyone could point me towards some map making docs.

The last time I created maps was for Duke Nukem 3D and that was a pretty long time ago, so odds are I am waaaaaaaay out of the loop.

Any links/information would be helpful.

Well, if you bought the SE version of the non-SE 2 DVD version of UT2004, check out the video tutorials on the second disc. They're probably the best way to get started with UED, and they also explain how to make static meshes and player models with Maya and 3dsmax.

I'm not sure about text docs though. Try UnrealWiki, the UT2003/4 editing forums on 3dBuzz, and the Atari UT2003/4 editing forums.
    My UT2004 maps
    Ao-BugCity

Comment

3D Buzz also have some fairly good videos on editing.

Comment

Those are the same videos that are packed with the DVD edition. Since 3DBuzz implemented that weird ass points system, it's now easier just to buy the game a 2nd time than it is earning enough points to download em off the site.

But either way you get them...they're very, very worth it.

Comment

Well, specifically for Alien Swarm, the AS website has a couple pages on making maps for AS on the right side of the page near the top.

Comment

A few quick questions.

First, how would one go about creating an NPC (Such as williams), for a single mission? I couldn't find any information on this online, but I didn't spend a lot of time looking, either, heh.

Second, similar to the first, how would one go about creating new (and working) weapons and items for a single mission? Again, I couldn't find information online about this.

Third, does Alien Swarm have an ideal wall height? I like how smooth the original maps ran, but even with my big box (as suggested on the AS homepage), corners sometimes snag a little.

When building two-levels on top of each other, what is a good wall height to avoid camera issues and player blind spots?

Answers, plus any additional information/webpages would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Thalaxasis
              First, how would one go about creating an NPC (Such as williams), for a single mission?
              I think you can just copy and paste Williams and alter his name in the properties. You might need to create a subclass of the AoMarineProfile though, for your new character.

Second, similar to the first, how would one go about creating new (and working) weapons and items for a single mission?
              Hmm. You need to learn UScript then subclass the various inventory/weapon, attachment and pickup classes with your new code.

Third, does Alien Swarm have an ideal wall height? I like how smooth the original maps ran, but even with my big box (as suggested on the AS homepage), corners sometimes snag a little.
              Load up one of the original maps and check the heights. If your corners are snagging, the subtractive box you have above the level needs to be bigger.

When building two-levels on top of each other, what is a good wall height to avoid camera issues and player blind spots?
              Load up Ao-Rescue and check.

Comment

Working...
              X