Ao-BugCity preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ao-BugCity preview

Here's the deal: A city on some as-yet-unnamed planet is struck by a large scale alien assault, and your squad is one of many dispatched to put the bug-eyed freaks down. However, it seems that the aliens damaged the city's surface-to-air defense systems, which are now gunning down anything detected in the air. Many of the ISAF dropships are destroyed before the fleet can pull back, and yours is one of those shot down. You crash in the city streets, miraculously intact. Now you just have to get out of the city and away from the air defense grid so you can get a ride out of there. But not before you kick some alien ass.

Tentative objectives list:

Call in air strike (time limit begins) - done
    Lower bridge to north block
    Restore power to the train
    Hack train controls
    Board the train and escape the city

Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of how it will look, although none of the detail work is final yet. These have been tweaked for better visibility.

Bugs wreak havoc in the streets:
    Screenshot

A wide shot of a street and the adjacent junkyard:
    Screenshot

The rain effect is unfinished at this point, and looks far better in motion. The lighting is also unfinished.
    Screenshot

I've got the entire southern sector of the city laid out and most of the detail there done. The northern section is smaller and more linear, and shouldn't take too long to finish.

I also got two custom music tracks made specifically for this map, which I think you guys will like

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as long as you don't deliver them at gunpoint or something.
    My UT2004 maps
    Ao-BugCity

I gotta say, that looks great!

Keep up the good work, I'll be trying that map.

Comment

That's looking really good, and I'm looking forward to trying this baby out!

Comment

Looks great bro, can't say much more than that till we play it. Keep us posted.
        Telic Corporation

Comment

Awesom-O!

--

Comment

It's about time someone decided to base a map around something other than abandoned bases! Good job, man...looks great!

Comment

Looks great! Very refreshing map, seems you got the mood right too.
              I can hardly wait to se how it plays!

Anyone heard that presidents of the USA song - bug city?
              Made me wanna go there...

EDIT: cool thing with those triggers for the roof, will probably come in use a lot i think. Also, It looks sweet!
              Last edited by [nt]Leo; 11 Jul 2004, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Looking very nice. It's you versus Renzatic now... which map are we gonna see first...

Comment

I figured out how to allow players to enter and explore buildings in this map

Here's a nice prefab building with a metal roof, doors open for exploration...

Screenshot

... and here's what happens when you step inside. A bunch of triggers spread through the building keep the roof "popped off" as long as there is at least one player inside. The roof pops back on when there is no one inside.

Screenshot
                  My UT2004 maps
                  Ao-BugCity

Comment

Amazing!
                    Smack the Planet!!!! -

Comment

L33t.

Comment

How thick are those walls in the building? I've noticed that the flashlight tends to go through thin walls sometimes...
                        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Do you have any sorta invisible barrier keeping aliens from jumping through that "popped off roof"?

Comment

BiG_D, the flashlight does go through them a bit, but it doesn't look right if I make the walls thicker. This is supposed to be a prefab building after all

Meta: Yeah, there's a blocking volume across the top of the building that serves as an invisible ceiling.
                            My UT2004 maps
                            Ao-BugCity

Comment

cool story line - I think it would make sense in the objectives to cut power/disable the air defenses so that the air strike will be successful.

Another cool objective would be to plant markers on key targets to be hit by the air strike.

Comment

Working...
                              X