Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leet Maps: The Amazing Ao-Box Contest (with prizes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leet Maps: The Amazing Ao-Box Contest (with prizes)

Are you the author of leet maps? Have you ever played with the editor and given up in despair after your tenth misaligned texture? Have you never opened the editor? Then this is your chance to use your mapper skills and win fantastic prizes!

The most amazing contest for you Alien Swarm fans is about to begin, be sure to take part and try to win the first prize!. The participate in the contest you need to create an Ao-Box map that is fun to play. In case you are wondering wtf is an Ao-Box, it is the simplest, easiest map to do with the unreal editor. If you have never used the editor, fear not, following the Architectonic Tutorial you can create your first Ao-Box in less than half an hour!. And that already qualifies you to win the fantastic prize!

The contest opens today, 20th of July. Entries will be admitted until the 31st. After the deadline for submission is closed, we will have a poll to select the best map from all the entries. To create a submission, make a post with a description of your map and preferably some screenshots (probably one screenshot will be enough).

Forcegamers, have kindly offered to host the maps, and to allow playtesting of the entries in their server (Thanks Mek).

-------- Official announcement (for legal reasons, etc. etc.) ---------

Amazing Ao-Box Contest

Objective: To create the best Ao-Box map for Alien Swarm.
    Deadline : (Extended) Saturday 31st of July
    Submission Rules:

1) The map must be a product of your own, original work.
    No rippin of other maps, no cut and paste sections of other's ppl work (You can of course, use the static meshes and textures available in Ut2004/Alien Swarm).

2) The base bsp geometry of the maps must be a simple, single box.
    You can actually build a serious map using only static meshes to build complex geometry (eg. DM-Gestalt) and you can use bsp brushes as long as you convert them to static meshes, don't let this rule limit your creativity. And of course, you can have the big ceiling carve as recommended in the official mapping docs.

3) The map must be playable. The gametype can be either the standard alien swarm bug hunt, or a new, original gametype (competitive, platform, dm, etc.) devised by you.
    The focus will be on playability and fun, not on looks. But of course, nice tricks and special effects can be a plus.

4) Solaris cannot participate in the contest.

Prizes:
    Still to be confirmed. The first prize will be one of these: The title of Master of the B0x0rs, your own private Alien Swarm server for up to a month, or a Mc Guffin.
    Edit: Confirmed : The winner will get the title of Master of B0x0rs and his/her own private Alien Swarm server for a full month. (Thanks to Mek of
    Forcegamers ). Of course, the winner can still opt for a Mc Guffin instead.

Mapping Help:
    Check the Unofficial FAQ for very helpful mapping links.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Butters; 26 Jul 2004, 02:37 PM.
    --

Please excuse me while I squeal hysterically.

Comment

Originally posted by Butters
      4) Solaris cannot participate in the contest.
      Muhahahahaha.

What's a Mc Guffin?

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir

What's a Mc Guffin?
        The contents of the suitcase that Jules and Vincent recover for Mr. Wallace in Pulp Fiction. For example.
        --

Comment

First submission AO-Bomberman

Now I have consulted with the contest officials and boxes within boxes are legal(as long as they are static meshes) lol. I'm going to see if I can cook up another map before the end of the contest as well.

I might have to opt for the McGuffin if I win. I could really use it to help catch all those gd flying bears that are running around our neighbourhood.
          Last edited by Mek; 20 Jul 2004, 01:03 PM.
          Telic Corporation

Comment

The contents of the suitcase that Jules and Vincent recover for Mr. Wallace in Pulp Fiction. For example.
            You fool. Everyone knows it's his soul
            "Who's the moron who put a moron like me in charge?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mek
              First submission AO-Bomberman
              Good submission, it'll be tough to beat. Don't worry though, my box will make its appearance soon enough. Maybe I'll release some tantalizing screenshots a la Rehevkor.

Comment

Is there any way to make the objective for reaching certain height and kills the guy at the lowest elevation?
                I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

Comment

nah, the best box will be my box with raining black and orange cats, hopefully co-produced with DQ

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

Isnt Torlan a box...? If not... Some one make it to a b0x and put it to this contest...The Winner....

Comment

2) The base bsp geometry of the maps must be a simpe, single box.
                      You can actually build a serious map using only static meshes to build complex geometry, don't let this rule limit your creativity. And of course, you can have the big ceiling carve as recommended in the official mapping docs.
                      Erm... So basically, there's no limit to what the map contains?...

A simple base bsp box is what all big terrain maps are build in... All the official outdoor maps, or could be made in a square box...
                      And there's no limit to what you can do with an unlimited supply of static meshes... It can effectivly replace bsp brushes when building..

But that just doesn't seem very AO-Box like to me... Yet it's within the rules.

Just saying you might want to tighten up on those rules

Comment

it has to be boxarific

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

box box box box...
                          I am gone...Radars won't pick me up

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                            Erm... So basically, there's no limit to what the map contains?...

A simple base bsp box is what all big terrain maps are build in... All the official outdoor maps, or could be made in a square box...
                            And there's no limit to what you can do with an unlimited supply of static meshes... It can effectivly replace bsp brushes when building..

But that just doesn't seem very AO-Box like to me... Yet it's within the rules.

Just saying you might want to tighten up on those rules
                            Indeed, as you point out the possibilites of Ao-Box are endless. No problem, if some people want to go the fancy way I won't limit them. I don't see many of us going to such complications for this contest though, besides, the time constraints are tight. I think the rule as it stands will ensure most maps are fairly simple and box-like, with the emphasis put on playability, as bsp based geometry is the bread of any newbie mapper. Of course, if extra quality complex maps are submitted they are more than welcome . Let the best map win and all of us enjoy it.
                            --

Comment

Great idea!

I'll sticky this one...

Comment

Working...
                              X