• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO-Pacman

Map: AO-Pacman
    Author: Mek
    WWW: http://www.forcegamers.com

Description: Fast paced, run for your life and don't stop for a second map inspired by pacman.

Notes:
    -Flamers will slow down the aliens as they chase you substantially.
    -Stims take the place of the pacman powerups.

Props: Big thanks to the following for testing my map out,
    BeXoR, Butters, Carth, Fluffy, Meatwad, SirRobin, Stein, Taika, Vigge(Suggested the idea for the map) + any others that stumbled into the server while I was testing.

Thanks also to:
    Corion, helping me out with the blockvolumes.
    Big_D, for letting me pick his big fat mapping brain.
    Master-Builder, trying to help me resolve the lighting problem.

Last edited by Mek; 26 Jul 2004, 06:31 PM.
    Telic Corporation

I can help you figure out the teleporter ...

What are you having problems with?
    "Crack the panel!"
    "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Comment

Just figured it out! Thanks for offering though corion. I've come across another problem that goes with this though. Aliens get realling screwed up if they wander into the teleport when they are chasing a player. I need a way to block the aliens from the end of that hall.
      Telic Corporation

Comment

Place a blocking volume and set it to classblock aliens (I think the class is AOGibbingPawn or something). You might also be able to figure out a way to re-order them to the middle, but the classblocker would stop them dead like a wall for sure ...

Make sure you put it as close to the teleporter as possible though to prevent people camping there and nailing them all.

EDIT: You might want to make it a sort of angled wall that would send the aliens up and over the teleporter area as close to it as possible - that way they could still bite at the marines' heads.
        "Crack the panel!"
        "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Comment

Haha, that looks awesome. I like this idea
          My UT2004 maps
          Ao-BugCity

Comment

Thanks again Corion. I didn't know that the blocking volumes could be set to block different classes. Works like a charm btw. As far as camping at the teleport goes it would just be a waste of ammo you need to get all the blips (eggs) in order to win. Aliens respawn as soon as they are killed.
            Telic Corporation

Comment

Screenshot 1
              Screenshot 2
              Screenshot 3
              Screenshot 4
              Screenshot 5
              Screenshot 6
              Screenshot 7
              Screenshot 8
              Screenshot 9
              Screenshot 10
              Screenshot 11
              Screenshot 12
              Screenshot 13
              Screenshot 14
              Screenshot 15
              Screenshot 16
              Screenshot 17

For some reason while playing the map on multiplayer the eggs dynamic glow will not show up. Anyone have any ideas as to why?
              Telic Corporation

Comment

looks great, you seem to have managed to make it look like the real pacman-level
                mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

Are you saying you added a dynamic light to every egg? Dynamic lighting can take a lot out of the CPU, and I'm pretty sure that's why the makers of UT2004 disabled a lot of its features. You should use projectors if anything, but there's no guarantee that people will have their options set to use them. I'm not quite sure on why the dynamic lights aren't working, but I do know that certain things don't show up in multi-player games (like being able to shoot the letters in the UT2004 junkyard deathmatch level (I believe the name is rustatorium). Are the lights visible on the host computer?

Also, since you said you didn't know blocking volumes could be set to block classes, you probably didn't know you needed to make a blocking volume block AoMarine and place it just above your level area to keep people from jumping/boosting/nading out of your level and escaping ...

Make sure you set the blocking volume's Collision to block everything, and in one of the tabs above it set bClassBlocker=true and pick the class(es) you need from the dropdown menu thing.
                  "Crack the panel!"

Comment

Yes I added a dynamic light to every single egg... I actually had to cut down on the number of eggs in the map because I hit the limit. The lighting shows up in singleplay and listen server mode but not when connecting to a server. I've heard something about using TriggerLight to get dynamic lights to work but haven't found it thus far.

Yeah I'll make sure I block the top before I release it.
                    Telic Corporation

Comment

Why not put static lights over them? Or at least use projectors instead of dynamic lights. Dynamic lights in UE2 = baaaad
                      My UT2004 maps
                      Ao-BugCity

Comment

I wanted the light to disappear when the eggs were killed. I think I might give up on the dynamic lights there. I don't feel like setting up 248 triggerlights.
                        Telic Corporation

Comment

Eek ... Maybe you can have the lights trigger by hallway or something .. have the hallway be lit as long as an egg remains within it?
                          "Crack the panel!"

Comment

Release version ready for download.
                            Telic Corporation

Comment

Don’t tell me you didn’t smile when you discovering this map!

I mean, come on… The idea and design is simply hilarious. It's smart and well done; extures and lighting are good. Gameplay is good fun for sure, though I think it’s fair to say that it isn't for the faint hearted. The map difficulty increased quite a bit during testing. I almost felt sorry for the occasional first timers who accidentally joined “the map with the funny name”. While Ao-Bomberman was crazy DM fun, Ao-Pacman is crazy coop-that-encourages-ramboing-on-the-fly-fun. I’d also like to complement the funny details altered from “vanilla AS”.

Great stuff Mek!

Comment

Working...
                              X