Need Mesh Work Done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Mesh Work Done

I need someone to make some extremely poly-efficient SM's for a level(s) I'm making for AS, but I haven't dabbled in any 3-d programs yet and can't do it myself. I'm not going to tell anyone what they are, but suffice to say they don't need to be that detailed and I already have the textures I want to use. (Some skinning expertise might be needed as well, but the basic materials thang should work fine).

I had tried using some pre-existing SM's from the default packages but they cut FPS to 30 (or 15 while multiple camera windows from stim etc are open) and consist of 7000+ triangles and 30+ materials each. You're free to guess as to what they may be but I'm not going to answer whether or not you're correct.

Please post if you can help and I'll need to see some previous work first.

P.S. - Solaris, any help you can give me would be great ... I think I'm onto something cool here for AS.

EDIT: Even if anyone can recommend someone to me to go chase down that you think would be willing to help. This is really important for me being able to finish my map.
    Last edited by Corion; 25 Jul 2004, 08:54 AM.
    "Crack the panel!"
    "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

/Bump!

This is really cool stuff guys ... I'd like to get it done ASAP (possibly before MSU's last phase), and I have most of next week off to work on things.

If nobody replies I might have to stumble through Maya PLE myself (and, of course, with those VTM's on the DVD).

We really need an AS mapping forum :0( ... It might encourage more mappers ...

Edit: Sorry for double post, btw. Also wanted to add that despite the horrifying sound of 7000 triangles and 30 materials each in the meshes I first used, the meshes I want created won't be anywhere near as complicated.
    "Crack the panel!"
    "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Comment

You'd get more people interested if you weren't busy being super-secretive, and if you were being more patient - you've only given it 15 hours!

Comment

I know, but I can't really work on my map without those vital meshes.

And I don't want to give away my secret :0( But if I have to, I will.
        "Crack the panel!"

Comment

Are we talking a box static mesh, or a.... really complex mesh?...
          You do know you can convert BSP to static meshes in Ued, altough it should be simple BSP.

Comment

Yes, I know about BSP > SM (have had to use it multiple times in previous levels to fix UED's crummy BSP support for ramps, etc. I need about 10 different meshes ranging from a few sheets (the ones I have might work if they can't be lowered poly-wise) to a fairly simple repeated mesh of various sizes compiled into one mesh to save on level size.

Tonight I'll come back from church with more info for you people.
            "Crack the panel!"

Comment

im good with meshes, suck with maps, if you want some help lemme know, or tell me what you need and ill make some demo meshes, its up to you, regardless of personal differences i new maps to tk Mek on.
              My doctor says that I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber and that I am therefore excuse from saving the Universe

Comment

Well here's a glimpse of some of the things I need recreated with a lower polycount.

Preview Shot

I know people have said it can't be done but I'm going to prove them wrong ... or at the very least innacurate.
                "Crack the panel!"

Comment

a jungle?! cool
                  mogelbrod, the one formerly know as teh muppen!

Comment

Yes, my biggest problem are the trees that border the level ... If I put hundreds of individual trees, the level becomes a HUGE file size. If I make a decolayer, the trees have TERRIBLE lighting that stems from the terrain lighting. If I use huge static meshes composed of twenty trees of various sizes, I run into terrible FPS problems because it has to render the entire thing. Right now my best bet is finding some lower-poly trees that get the same effect accross as option umber three but are designed more for a distanced camera (or the occasional stim). The other meshes I'm using might also need to be redone (grass, ferns, etc) but those are less important. So ... anyone interested yet?

EDIT: No, if the screenshot is really dark for you, that's not what its going to look like ... the first level has a dusk sunlight setup and the few after that have really dark night ones ... After that there may be a daytime one, but I haven't quite decided everything yet.
                    Last edited by Corion; 26 Jul 2004, 10:07 AM.
                    "Crack the panel!"

Comment

A jungle map with predator feel. I love that idea. That preview shot looks great too. My uneducated guess is that lowering polycount on 3d stuff for use in a topdown mod should be very possible. But I'm a noob, so I can't help you. Hope someone else can.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Leo but so far no takers ... I'll start studying the Maya Tutorials today, but I'd much rather someone experienced help me with it ...

And as for the predator feel, I want the setting to feel like predator but not so much the "There's something out there" feel ... Its going to have the "Holy crap we're surrounded" feel of AS.

Its not like I have plans for another campaign with the "there's something out there" feel ... heh heh *wink*
                        "Crack the panel!"

Comment

See how it's topdown... you can kinda cheat with those trees... Use flat sheets with a tree texture for all the leafs and stuff, then just a very low poly lower tree part, underneat the branches. Furthermore, you can make all the trees not use collision, and just use blockers around the general tree area. This would also allow smoother player movement around them, plus you could make it a class blocker and have aliens came out from the woods...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                            See how it's topdown... you can kinda cheat with those trees... Use flat sheets...
                            Yeah, I've thought of that, but I'm not sure there's any way that it would look convincing or look good. I've thought of just having the tops of the trees fade out into the black area with a few fake ones up front, but I would still need some mesh work done, and the sunlight would hit the sides of the ones in blackness, making them look a bit strange. Right now I plan on having about three lines of trees and then just black boxes like in the other levels, but I still need some nice, lowpoly trees (at least for the back rows).

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                            Furthermore, you can make all the trees not use collision...
                            Yeah ... I've already done that on the part I have finished ...
                            "Crack the panel!"

Comment

Oh yeah... Try using fog. Everything that is occluded by the fog won't be drawn.
                              But do make sure to get the distance right...

Comment

Working...
                              X